Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok, I've just measured my USB cable.

It's 200mm long and 4.4mm in diametre.

I did try to listen too, but t don't know how it sounds because it doesn't make a sound.

• Haha
Reactions: andrew s

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know that my ignorance is no match for your wit is but...

Harman has made a lot of research involving trained listeners. For example here trained listeners rate the same speaker in the same manner (and lower than untrained listeners):

Here trained listeners prefer a more accurate in-room balance than untrained listeners.

Participating in the Philips Golden Ear Challenge (now extinct), which I braved through as far as the Silver level in spit of my profound dislike for AB comparisons, was an eye opener in regard to my listening abilities as well as the importance of training.

Wasting my time...here's an interesting online ear-training platform: https://webtet.net/apcl/#/parametric
Trained listeners seem to prefer rolled off high frequencies, whilst untrained preferred more bass and treble. Are the untrained the same type of listeners or just different?

we probably all know of people who want loads of bass. 

Last edited by a moderator:

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok, I've just measured my USB cable.

It's 200mm long and 4.4mm in diametre.

I did try to listen too, but t don't know how it sounds because it doesn't make a sound.
Are you sure that's a cable you measured?

• Haha
Reactions: Strider

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Trained listeners seem to prefer rolled off high frequencies, whilst untrained preferred more bass and treble. Are the untrained the same type of listeners or just different?

we probably all know of people who want loads of bass. 
The research seems to indicate that untrained listners seem to prefer more bass and more treble. And after more than 15 years of participating in forums I would say that it matches my observation of audiophile's preferences.

From one of Olive's papers:

Differences in Performance and Preference of Trained versus Untrained Listeners in Loudspeaker Tests: A Case Study

https://pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/15_Mfrs_Publications/Harman_Int'l/AES-Other_Publications/Trained_vs_Untrained_Listeners.pdf

[SIZE=10pt]The untrained listeners included audio marketing and sales people, retailers, audio reviewers, and college students. The measured variations in loudspeaker preference and performance between the groups were compared to those of a panel of trained listeners.[/SIZE]

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The research seems to indicate that untrained listners seem to prefer more bass and more treble. And after more than 15 years of participating in forums I would say that it matches my observation of audiophile's preferences.

From one of Olive's papers:

Differences in Performance and Preference of Trained versus Untrained Listeners in Loudspeaker Tests: A Case Study

https://pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/15_Mfrs_Publications/Harman_Int'l/AES-Other_Publications/Trained_vs_Untrained_Listeners.pdf

[SIZE=10pt]The untrained listeners included audio marketing and sales people, retailers, audio reviewers, and college students. The measured variations in loudspeaker preference and performance between the groups were compared to those of a panel of trained listeners.[/SIZE]
So these are audiophiles not just Joe public?

My preference is probably less bass and treble but depends on the music. Not keen on lots of bass or brighter systems. Rather have some roll off on high frequencies even if some detail is lost. But I’m not an audiophile. Is that some American expression?

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So these are audiophiles not just Joe public?

My preference is probably less bass and treble but depends on the music. Not keen on lots of bass or brighter systems. Rather have some roll off on high frequencies even if some detail is lost. But I’m not an audiophile. Is that some American expression?
A mix. Untrained includes college students too.

of course you are an audiophile or you would care about how your system sounds or spends hours posting and reading in a forum. We all are

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A mix. Untrained includes college students too.

of course you are an audiophile or you would care about how your system sounds or spends hours posting and reading in a forum. We all are
We are all nutters, you are probably right, some more than others.

maybe you missed a word out? 

Do you have the students results?

More interested in music than HiFi.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles