Linn Owners

USB cables

cspgqqt

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 13, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As an owner of a Klimax DSM/3 which supports USB B input, so I would be very interested and appreciative of anyone who knows or is skeptical about the differences amongst USB cables? For example Supra USB 2.0 or Chord Signature, etc.

Zermatt

New Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Coincidentally I just watched an AudioScienceReview vid on USB cables that was very informative. 

From my own experience, many years ago I had an Arcam DAC fed by USB from a dedicated AV PC. An issue developed where every few minutes there would be an audible click during music playback. No other indication that anything was wrong as the music was great. I changed the USB cable (that I borrowed from work) for a pretty purple QED one and the click disappeared. Didn’t notice any difference in music quality that I remember. 

With hindsight, I think that the borrowed cable had seen better days. My opinion now is that any USB cable of good quality will be as good as the next of equal length. Just try to keep it as short as possible and away from power cables as good practice. 

Last edited by a moderator:

cspgqqt

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 13, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very interesting.

I replaced a basic amazon USB A to B cable with a Supra USB (the muisc stream flow: Roon Nucleus -> Mac Mini 2012 with HQ Player simulating Chord Hugo M-Scaler) -> DSM/3), I can hear sharpness and tightness have evidently increased with vocals and instruments/timbre even more pronounced so the result is very appealing.

Maybe more extended listening is needed as the jury is still out, however the verdict is very favorable towards the Supra USB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx