Using a timer with a Yamaha CDRHD-1500

Ears

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 12, 2006
Elsewhere, ,
Does anyone have any experience of using a Yamaha CDRHD-1500 recorder with a timer? The instruction book shows how to do it but has anyone tried it and hence spotted any foibles? How about multiple switch-ons / switch-offs, e.g. when recording different radio programmes during a day?

Ears

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 12, 2006
Elsewhere, ,
Just in case anyone else is interested in multiple on-off cycles re the timer recordings, I've e-mailed Yamaha and had a reply (pretty quickly) and... you can't do it. I.e. although you can set up the CDHR-1500 to respond to an external timer and hence record at a pre-determined time, it seems that you can't have more than one on-off in any given 'session'.

Unfortunately this means that before going to work I can't set it up to, say, record one radio programme in the morning and one in the afternoon. Pity!

Tice

Wammer
New Wammer
May 10, 2007
London, , United Kin
If the programmes are on the same station, you could leave the recorder running all day and thenedit out what you don't need later. You may have already thought of this and if so, I apologise

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
welcome tice...nice to meet a bloke who pitches straight in with their first post in a helpful way:) Move straight to a cable thread and get stuck in while the going's hot!
smile.png

Sorry ears..I had that same recorder but never tried timer recordings...presumably with the mains off it defaults to standby/off (no memory of recording settings) so you cant use a mains timer....just leave it running as has been said then.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Ears wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of using a Yamaha CDRHD-1500 recorder with a timer? The instruction book shows how to do it but has anyone tried it and hence spotted any foibles? How about multiple switch-ons / switch-offs, e.g. when recording different radio programmes during a day?
Ears the only easy way to do this and record to a digital recorder like your 1500 is to use a HDD PVR, ie to use a Freeview PVR or Sky+ device, record the radio programme onto HD, then playblack & record onto the 1500 via a digital output on the PVR. I have never heard of a timer facility that can do this easily or at all. Go for a twin tuner device like the Humax 9200 and you can record 2 different things on different channels and at multiple times, the radio stations like TV have a 7 day EPG for sorting out recordings. Andyou can also record Digital TV like last nights Jool Holland too !!

FWIW this is how I record my material to MD, even thought there is a timer function with MD too.

HTHs

Tice

Wammer
New Wammer
May 10, 2007
London, , United Kin
cjr wrote:

Ears wrote:
Ears the only easy way to do this and record to a digital recorder like your 1500 is to use a HDD PVR, ie to use a Freeview PVR or Sky+ device, record the radio programme onto HD, then playblack & record onto the 1500 via a digital output on the PVR. I have never heard of a timer facility that can do this easily or at all. Go for a twin tuner device like the Humax 9200 and you can record 2 different things on different channels and at multiple times, the radio stations like TV have a 7 day EPG for sorting out recordings. Andyou can also record Digital TV like last nights Jool Holland too !!

FWIW this is how I record my material to MD, even thought there is a timer function with MD too.

HTHs
I'm obviously suffering from early onset senility for not suggesting this in my previous post as I use Sky+ too although I do leave my CD-HD1500 running sometimes when I'm out. Using the AutoPeriod recording mode makes editing a doddle. If it's a BBC programme, you can also use the "Listen Again" facility on the web.

Ears

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 12, 2006
Elsewhere, ,
Thanks chaps. I too have a Humax PVR and I too record programmes using it (but using the time setting not the EPG since I've missed too many starts / ends of programmes that way).

However, having later to transfer what's been recorded on the Humax to the Yamaha takes time. The ability to switch on the Yamaha using a timer to coincide with the Humax's programmed recordings (and hence channel switches) would remove the transfer step and save time, hence the question.

All further thoughts welcomed.

Tice

Wammer
New Wammer
May 10, 2007
London, , United Kin
A few questions :

1. How long are the recordings you want to do each day/week?
  2. Are you planning to keep all recordings in their entirety?
  3. If not, do you intend to edit and keep sections.
  4. Is the sound quality of the recordings an issue?

Ears

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 12, 2006
Elsewhere, ,
1 They vary. Mostly Radio 3 and BBC7. Can be as short as 5 minutes (obscure piano piece) or as long as 2-3 hours (an opera).

2. & 3. I usually edit most things: at least topping and tailing them to neaten-up starts and finishes (but this would have to be done whether or not timed recording was possible - you never manage to get exact starts / ends on the basic recording due to announcer 'chat', etc.).

4. Yes: my Humax does a pretty reasonable job and I wouldn't want to go back to cassettes or whatever.

P.S. I wonder where these questions / answers are leading????

Tice

Wammer
New Wammer
May 10, 2007
London, , United Kin
I know from my own experience that the transfer time is an issue. With longer broadcasts I would stick with my original recommendation to keep the Yamaha running all day (always assuming that you have sufficient free space on your HD). The editing out of the non-required content will take a fraction of the time that transferring a 2-3 hour broadcast would. I would expect the quality to be better from a dedicated FM/DAB tuner and it would only be a first generation recording rather than a second.

An alternative would be something like the new Cyrus DAB 8.0 which seems to have a range of onboard recording facilities including to SD cards. I'm sure other companies will be bringing out their own versions so if you don't like Cyrus, you can wait until one you do like is released. The price will probably come down as well.

Other than that or using a PC, I'm afraid I don't have any other ideas.

Ears

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 12, 2006
Elsewhere, ,
Thanks. I'm wary of DAB given the apparent uncertainty over the future DAB 'format' (see discussion in the Wigwam and elsewhere) but thanks for the thought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online