Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll shame you right now. You're doing what I did for years: looking for excuses not to.

Don't want to walk a dog. Don't have the time for a bike. Can't make the time. Not feasible, etc. etc.

Bollocks. You're looking for reasons why not to, rather than reasons why to.

I'll give you two reasons right now. Daniel and me. One massive stroke, one major heart problem. If both of us can do it, then you can fucking do it before you end up like we have: dealing with the result rather than the problem.

Get off your fucking arse and do it Ade. You don't want to be where Daniel is now, and you don't want to be where I narrowly avoided.

I spent fifty plus years as a lazy twat believing that being six foot two, playing a bit of sport and being built like a brick shihthouse meant I was fit and unbreakable. I wasn't. And I'm not. Fucking get out of that chair or car seat and fucking get on with it. 

I'd be happy to visit you in hospital, but I don't want that to be the option.

Your choice.
And just what I needed, a bit of honest advice. Will do, watch for the updates and thanks for the truth. It is ever so easy to find a million excuses to not do something, maybe you need a trip down South and standing outside my window will give me the incentive I need...

:brick:

• Upvote
Reactions: Old Git

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And just what I needed, a bit of honest advice. Will do, watch for the updates and thanks for the truth. It is ever so easy to find a million excuses to not do something, maybe you need a trip down South and standing outside my window will give me the incentive I need...

:brick:
Good for you. I didn't take the advice and narrowly missed a big one.

You have the opportunity not to.

I don't need to tell you it isn't easy. I know that at least as well as anyone else. But I'm living and breathing proof you can do it. Jesus, I'm 62 and for about twenty years my only exercise was walking to the car or twisting a corkscrew. I'm still way, way off being fit, but I can walk to the end of the road without needing to stop for breath. And yes, I was that bad.

And my cycling is improving, but a couple of hundred miles is a little more than I can currently manage  :D

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Parcelmonkey, can you escape from work for short periods two or three times a day? It has been proven recently that so long as you get your heart rate up, doing three 10 minute walks a day really is as effective as one 30 minute session. 10 minutes before going to work, 10 when you get home and one session during the day. Make it a habit so you don't even think about it. Or go up and down some stairs for 10 minutes, that can be done at work, home, anywhere with stairs, a car park too! Also, an initial 10 minute bodyweight strength session twice a week. Increase the number of sets as you improve. And don't do loads of reps, just slow the process down. You'll be surprised how few press ups you can do when you count slowly to 4 for each stage, it's a great workout. You could also do a few sets a day of squats plus single leg squats which will help your core. Both could easily be done during visits to the toilet at work. Planks/side planks are great and again won't take more than a few minutes. Just make sure you give yourself recovery time. As you get fitter on your walks try taking a weighted back pack to mix things up. Also be wary of doing the same thing for too long, all that happens is your body gets better at doing it and burns fewer calories in the process. And don't forget, you can get as fit as you like but if you eat too much the fat won't go anywhere..........

• Upvote
Reactions: rabski

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cannot find time to Lycra up ?Struggling with shitty weather ? Cannot be bothered ? Get onto eBay and order a Turbo Trainer. You do NOT need to spend a lot, to get a good enough TT... Strap on the bike, TAKE YOUR TIME...increase mileage in small steps. You can catch up on rubbish TV, suddenly find time to watch YouTube and do all this in your garage. 

10mins easy month one

15mins month 2 etc..

Turbo training is harder than normal cycling as you do not often freewheel (as on a real bike) and the scenery is fixed so mentally feels longer than reality 

Rewards are quite quick. Winter miles = Summer smiles

Go on....do it

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd look a picture in a figure hugging onezy    :sick:
6-95254-evil-necessity-1425425982.jpg

Old Git

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jun 23, 2014
Bristol...innit
AKA
Miserable
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good straight forward advice from the Bristol lot... :^

Looking for my lights today and will do!

Not looking forward to it to be honest, living in Dover; hills are a necessary evil to get out and about.

:D
The hills are your friend, although it might not seem like it. When I used to cycle, I tried to set myself targets, time/distance. When it came to hills, as the pain grew, I just pushed harder (within reason). A great way to get fit.

Good luck 👍

• Haha
Reactions: Carrington

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The hills are your friend, although it might not seem like it. When I used to cycle, I tried to set myself targets, time/distance. When it came to hills, as the pain grew, I just pushed harder (within reason). A great way to get fit.

Good luck 👍
Definitely. I used to do hill repeats as a runner, tough but loved them. At Richmond Park there's a nice challenging slope about 300m long, a 2 mile trot to get there from the car park, around 30 times up it and a 2 mile cool down back. No stopping and absolutely no blubbing... Great stuff and perfect training for my halves and a full marathon in the Surrey hills, Box and Leith. That was a reason for me to get up in the morning, fresh air, pain and a great appetite  :D

Reactions: Old Git

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Definitely. I used to do hill repeats as a runner, tough but loved them. At Richmond Park there's a nice challenging slope about 300m long, a 2 mile trot to get there from the car park, around 30 times up it and a 2 mile cool down back. No stopping and absolutely no blubbing... Great stuff and perfect training for my halves and a full marathon in the Surrey hills, Box and Leith. That was a reason for me to get up in the morning, fresh air, pain and a great appetite  :D
F##k that, the whole purpose of this thread was to try & motivate myself not scare me witless! 30 times up a 300M slope might be where I wish to get to in time, just putting on the joggers was a mountain to climb for my self esteem & fear factor! :nerves:

A quick update & I don't want you to think I'm narcissistic by posting my limited achievements on here but if I don't tell then I'll not do it, I know me too well.

5 mins warm up on a stepper at around 55rpm. A good stretch as I definitely have tight leg muscles.

10 mins on the rower at level 5 which is halfway on the gym's machine I went on today. Ideally I set myself a target of 2500M in this time and came in just under at 2224M so I was reasonably pleased with that. I could've pushed it more I know but the idea as others have said is to ease in to things and not go all Gung ho!

Tomorrow I've set up a meeting with one of the trainers for them to give me a basic program of strength exercises to follow and the idea is one day cardio, one day strength and see how I get on. Rest days where I feel it necessary, definitely Sunday.

I've taken a photo which is not for public viewing yet but hope to see a difference in 3 months...

o_O

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good stuff parcelmonkey! Just take it slowly and carefully and keep a close watch on any niggles. Find yourself a good physio too, sooner or later you'll need one anyway but getting in early they can identify any problems and help you to overcome them. A foam roller is a good investment, it'll help you to massage any niggles. Pilates is great too, if you can get into a class, you'll never regret a strong core, it'll help with every aspect of your life preventing slumping and poor posture particularly as you tire.

Keep up the good work!

Oh, and posting your achievements is good, in the future if you have a bit of a wobble you can look back and see just how much you've progressed  :)

• Upvote
Reactions: parcelmonkey

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good stuff parcelmonkey! Just take it slowly and carefully and keep a close watch on any niggles. Find yourself a good physio too, sooner or later you'll need one anyway but getting in early they can identify any problems and help you to overcome them. A foam roller is a good investment, it'll help you to massage any niggles. Pilates is great too, if you can get into a class, you'll never regret a strong core, it'll help with every aspect of your life preventing slumping and poor posture particularly as you tire.

Keep up the good work!

Oh, and posting your achievements is good, in the future if you have a bit of a wobble you can look back and see just how much you've progressed  :)
I do own and use regularly a foam roller. For the minimal outlay they are a winner! Having been a courier in a past existence and had several non-fault accidents, they certainly help align posture well. Also useful for sore muscles.

Pilates is something I'm hoping to go to as well, I've heard good things about this. I think I'll start at the back of the class and see what happens. :D

Thanks for the encouragement...

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, a small pat on the back, as I have now completed the second day in a row I've been and done exercise. I had loads of reasons not to on the drive home this afternoon but the thought of @rabski looking down on me with distaste written all over his face was all the incentive I needed to try and create consistency...

Still not quite achieved my target of 2400M in 10 mins but closer today than yesterday. I started off stronger on the rower but was blowing a bit mid way through. Not too worried as I don't want to push too hard too soon, just happy with how I'm settling in.

Small steps but I'm pleased with the effort.

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice one  :)  Just be a little careful with pushing yourself, if you try and pb every effort you are less likely to progress. Vary the efforts, to start with building stamina is a good way to progress and you're more likely to remain injury free.

AlmaAtaKZ

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 29, 2012
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, avoid injury! Allow recovery, vary the excercises, increase slowly, keep correct form, always warm up. I would say avoiding injury is more important than speed of progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just be a little careful with pushing yourself, if you try and pb every effort you are less likely to progress. Vary the efforts, to start with building stamina is a good way to progress and you're more likely to remain injury free.
Good point, I will try to resist overdoing it. I sometimes get a bit carried away and then lose heart, so a valid point you make there... :^

Yes, avoid injury! Allow recovery, vary the excercises, increase slowly, keep correct form.
I am very careful to spend 5 minutes warming up gently, followed by stretching and I'm giving myself a warm down period too with lots of stretching of leg muscles currently to avoid injury, especially to calves and hamstrings... Followed by a session at night before bed of foam rolling.

I'll avoid the temptation to rush things.

Thanks for the help. :*:

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well a week has passed almost and I managed to get 4 sessions in climbing Cardio from 10 mins knackered to just under 20 mins sweaty but less knackered! In fact although it's mostly water retention I'm sure but I can see small changes happening; especially with the legs and calves, either that or I'm hallucinating?

I've varied so far between Rower, Cross Trainer & step machine which is a B*****d but definitely gets the heart rate pumping.

A busy long week ahead with 6 full days at work but I'm determined to get down at least 3-4 times again. Will be looking to add in about 5-8 mins extra of some H.I.T, probably starting with squat thrusts, press ups and a kettle bell pistol squat. Trying to add in some compound movements now...

Wish me luck! :sos:

:nerves:

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good luck indeed! That lot is making me feel tired in just reading about it! Great work  :)

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Two more weeks on from my last post and after around three weeks of fairly continuous activity I'm starting to develop a good habit!

Despite long hours each day, sometimes 14 hr days, and regular 6 day weeks, I'm still attending the gym and pushing myself each time.

It's getting easier to go, I no longer stress about having to get changed and attend, I quite look forward to it. A little injury despite warming up properly and stretching fully has meant only two days this week! However a deep tissue massage is booked for tomorrow and an easier week forthcoming will mean plenty more time to keep up the good work.

My only gripe, why is belly fat the last thing to bloody go! My face is thinner, the belly still not...

:rofl:

• Haha

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congratulations on the effort, glad you are getting some good results! I'm sure the belly fat is going down but since most of us tuck away more blubber there, it's going to take a bit longer to reduce. It has only been two weeks though! Are you doing any core exercises? Planks and side planks with dips are good. If you can do some pilates classes that'll help. :)

Reactions: parcelmonkey

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online