cabbages

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 22, 2012
London
AKA
Derek
Not sure this is in the right place?

I'm tired of trying to look at the skinny spine of my records to see what they are, and I want to make a move to record storage that's more like you would find in a record shop, so that I can see the entire front side of the sleeve and flip through as I wish.  I've found some bits that have loads of storage, but it seems anything of interest to me is sourced from the US and shipping costs are about the same as the product itself.

Has anyone here had the same issue and found an alternative in the UK?

Cheers

C

lordmortlock

Lordmortlock
Wammer
Jun 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How many records are you looking to store? Zomo have storage with a flip though section,  which a  mate of mine uses, with new purchases or favourites in the top bit. Not massive though, so may not be enough storage  

https://www.thedjshop.co.uk/zomo-vs-box-200-2-walnut-zebrano.html?gclid=CjwKCAiArOnUBRBJEiwAX0rG_dBLa38dxdL6Kj-qZpxdyLd1qRz86YV1qG69_sgkgmB4LLwIvb3pZxoCA64QAvD_BwE

worth putting record/lp storage as a saved search on eBay too, as some interesting bespoke pieces do crop up. 

Another, different solution idea - use the discogs app to list your records, then use that to browse. It has a cool shake to chose feature, which is a nice way to select records randomly. 

Last edited by a moderator:

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't want to hijack this thread so I'll be brief.

Has there been any work on a Discogs Windows App? Discogs's own FAQ says not yet, but that was last updated in 2016.

I'm totally Windows, so iAnything or Android is sadly of no use to me.

S.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't want to hijack this thread so I'll be brief.

Has there been any work on a Discogs Windows App? Discogs's own FAQ says not yet, but that was last updated in 2016.

I'm totally Windows, so iAnything or Android is sadly of no use to me.

S.
does that include your phone Serge?

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My phone (Nokia 2330) doesn't have an Operating System that I know of. 

S.
now there a man after my own heart, talk about sweating assets - are you a Yorkshireman by birth? :D  

actually I wasn't even aware that there was a Windows application as I use the web interface or the Android app (very quick to add new purchases. 

cabbages

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 22, 2012
London
AKA
Derek
How many records are you looking to store? Zomo have storage with a flip though section,  which a  mate of mine uses, with new purchases or favourites in the top bit. Not massive though, so may not be enough storage  

https://www.thedjshop.co.uk/zomo-vs-box-200-2-walnut-zebrano.html?gclid=CjwKCAiArOnUBRBJEiwAX0rG_dBLa38dxdL6Kj-qZpxdyLd1qRz86YV1qG69_sgkgmB4LLwIvb3pZxoCA64QAvD_BwE

worth putting record/lp storage as a saved search on eBay too, as some interesting bespoke pieces do crop up. 

Another, different solution idea - use the discogs app to list your records, then use that to browse. It has a cool shake to chose feature, which is a nice way to select records randomly. 
Thank you Lord, that's very helpful.  I'm looking to store about 600 in the sort of display I've described, with the rest of my collection elsewhere, but fancy a small unit somewhere to stash a 'wishlist' of stuff I want to play soon...this Zomo might actually be part of the solution.  Not sure if I've mentioned before, I've got a beautiful integrated I believe you might have had at one time...the Graff.  I love it to bits.

MarginWalker

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 31, 2015
Surrey
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m sure there are drawers that go in the Ikea storage systems, that way you could just pull out a drawer and search for your records that way.  

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m sure there are drawers that go in the Ikea storage systems, that way you could just pull out a drawer and search for your records that way.  
There are boxes/drawers that fit inside the IKEA units, but guess what, they're not quite big enough for a record. Typical. :doh:

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Check the internal dimensions of an Ikea draw. It may not be big enough.

What about

Easylovely-Plastic-Display-Rack-P37-On-Creative-Inspirational-Home-Designing-with-Plastic-Display-Rack.jpg

I feel sure that an acylic supplier ough to be able to provide the right thing.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
bloody Swedes 
Quite!

The other drawback of having boxes within boxes is that the records are captive. So if you want the one at the back, you'll have to completely remove the drawer. If you've got 50+ records in there it's heavy.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which is why most of us develop stiff necks from reading spines. It would be nice if the spines where printed in the same orientation.n

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which is why most of us develop stiff necks from reading spines. It would be nice if the spines where printed in the same orientation.n
It's the same with books. UK titles go one way, US titles the other.

S

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Forum statistics

Threads
Members