Vioolmuziek

Pianoman

Wammer
Wammer
May 6, 2007
Huddersfield, ,
AKA
Tony
Yes its good ! Btw, don't be put off that Barber Korngold disc, its a few years ago and Previn really gives it some in the tuttis. He's since done it again with his then scrummy missus Anne Sophie, and it was a tad slower. That Shaham is a jewel in my collection.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes its good ! Btw, don't be put off that Barber Korngold disc, its a few years ago and Previn really gives it some in the tuttis. He's since done it again with his then scrummy missus Anne Sophie, and it was a tad slower. That Shaham is a jewel in my collection.
Ok, that's going on my wishlist given your hearty endorsement. :)

If you don't mind 'historic' recordings, it's well worth checking out Heifetz's 1949 recording.I usually find the man's playing scintillating technically but robotic and emotionless. Maybe that's just his later recordings, cos this one is fabulously emotional!
I am aware of the existence of this record. The reason I haven't chanced it yet is because Hahn seemed to have done a 'Heifetz' on her recording of the Elgar. i.e. an unsmiling race through the score. I was not sure if I want to hear the violinists' violinist himself doing the same. :nerves:

There was a quip I read about the background to this recording. Sargent wanted more rehearsal time with Heifetz so he could become more familiar with the uniquely English character of the score. And Heifetz went
snob.gif
. :D

This Heifetz/Elgar doesn't come up on Gramophone's and others' recommended lists. Given yours and deggie's liking, I'm going to add this to my collection soon.

Meanwhile, I am liking Shaham's interpretation more and more with every new listen. :^ The CSO's powerful sound is quite something!

cheerSS

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That Shaham recording with Previn of Barber and Korngold is indeed excellent. In the Barber it is one of those performances where you find yourself breathing in time with the melody.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oooh. It is good indeed! Another good Shaham DG recording added to solidschateau. Phew, old man Previn didn't do any lethargic tempi here.

Thanks Tony and Malcolm. :)

SS

DeCameron

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2009
Scotland
AKA
Beautiful reading if the Beethoven concerto live on R3 tonight by Alina Pogostkina (Violin), BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra

and Donald Runnicles.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What an elegant lady. :geek: Looks like a person who lives and breathes romantic classical music.

Alas, she doesn't seem to have a strong presence on the recording front yet. I'd like to find out how her artistry compares against Ms Benedetti, for instance.

SS

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, despite that rather tepid Sibelius performance on YouTube, I took a chance on Kavakos' recording of the VC with Vanska and Lahti SO. Wow, this one goes right to the top of my personal favourites. Sound quality wise, this BIS is outstanding. As stellar as Gluzman's Bruch VC, also on BIS. :^ So atmospheric!

Compared to other violinists, Kavakos is more distanced and fully incorporated with the orchestra but it doesn't detract from the intimate feel of his nuanced performance. Cho Liang Lin's with Salonen and the Swedish RSO has often been cited as a stellar version which fully brings out the scandinavian feel of this VC. Vanska and the Lahti SO have edged it IMO.

I haven't listened to the original version of the VC that is coupled on this recording. Will reserve that for later. It might be a shock to hear this great VC in a different form. :nerves:

SS

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At the start of the year I began looking for valve amps that can reproduce the violin with supreme realism. The single-ended Class A design was the way to go, and my first two - an EL84 and 6V6 mated with crossover-less monitors - unlocked the expressiveness of the virtuoso legends on their great recordings better than solid-state or push-pulls.

Can that pair of SEs be surpassed? Yes. The keywords: direct heated true triodes and zero negative feedback, feeding great Alnico magnet drivers.

I virtually came face to face with the violins of Heifetz and Oistrakh today!!! :shock:

SSM-Sun-1_zpsl0qraqnf.jpg

^ my third single-ended power amp - a limited edition Sun Audio SV-2A3 25th Anniversary with further customized mods for my listening tastes. :love:

Christian Ferras' playing on the Sibelius V.C. recording with Karajan totally destroyed me...
whimper.gif
All the angst and emotionalism in his interpretation hit me like never before. :cs:

:notworthy:Glorious, simply glorious SET sound!

This is the first long pleasurable musical weekend of many to come... :stereo:

SS

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
... I virtually came face to face with the violins of Heifetz and Oistrakh today!!! :shock:
Blimey, that must have been a ghastly experience. :(

-- sounds like a good reason to buy Steepletone to me. :p

:minikev:

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I haven't listened to the original version of the VC that is coupled on this recording. Will reserve that for later. It might be a shock to hear this great VC in a different form. :nerves: SS
Oh yes, very different - but also very familiar!

A bit like the different Leonora overtures by LvB.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've heard it once already. Sounds like the final version with extra frills. :zip:

The revised form is the better one IMO.

But, even that first version shows Berg's patchworked V.C. a clean pair of heels. :nuts:

SS

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here's a violin concerto which is not popular, but I'm not totally sure why it's not popular.  This is Ferruccio Busoni's Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 35A.  The liner notes for the recording I'm embedding below more or less indicates that the lack of popularity is due to it being too Romantic-sounding for the avant-garde crowd and too avant-garde for the Romantic crowd.  :dunno:   Well, personally, Klassik finds this to be quite Romantic sounding.  I know there are many fans of Romantic violin concertos and this is a fine example of one. 

This violin concerto is in the typical three movement fast-slow-fast form, but the movements are performed attacca (together without break).  Recordings of this work are pretty rare.  The first recording I'll embed is from 1968 and performed by violinist Paul Zukofsky and the New England Conservatory Orchestra.  I'll then post a more modern recording below.  Klassik prefers the liveliness of the older Zukofsky recording, but there are some minor flaws in the recording (not that it bothers me much at all).  

Busoni also had some pretty nice sonatas and bagatelles for violin and piano.  These are more popular if the higher number of recordings of them are any indication.  Here's a recent Brilliant Classics album of these chamber works which is fully available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k2F8DZ4VUGPW2rSKLSTt0tpTYYsmdI26E

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Julius Conus (Yuly Konyus) is pretty much a one-hit wonder and even that one hit, his E minor Violin Concerto, is only a minor hit. Aside from the E minor concerto, Conus is mostly known for his friendship with Rachmaninoff. Conus's son married Rachmaninoff's daughter. The E minor concerto is pretty good in Klassik's opinion and it's been recorded by some big names such as Heifetz and Itzhak Perlman. Here is the Perlman recording with Andre Previn and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.
This is a pretty short concerto with three movements attacca with a bit of a Tchaikovsky-like quality to it.

For a taste of the Rachmaninoff-Conus combo, here is Rachmaninoff's Op. 34 No. 14 Vocalise arranged for piano trio by Conus. This was published by Reference Recordings on SACD:

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Baron

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer Plus
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Mouse, Mickey (Mr)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Klassik knows I don't care for piano trios, but Vocalise works well in that arrangement.

Reactions: Klassik

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Czech music label Supraphon has digitized several albums of obscure communist-era music from Czechoslovakia from composers of little or no fame in the west. Even though some of these digitized tracks have been on YouTube for quite some time now, they have hardly any views, but there are some really good things, IKO, which have been posted.

One of the good things that Klassik likes is Lubomír Železný's Violin Concerto No. 2 from 1976. Here is the second movement, the slow movement. It's a lyrical work as violin music ought to be. The outer movements are pretty good as well and the work is pretty short so it might be worth a listen.

Full album: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kNcgeIjiNz23NHfVfoo-_6pZxDUnEEde8

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It seems Klassik's last entry in this thread a couple months back was about an obscure Supraphon album. This next one will be about the same thing, but the composer in question, Zdeněk Fibich, is a bit better known and is one of the better known Czech Romantic era composers. That said, Klassik believes the music on this album is not all that well-known. The album contains Fibich's works for violin and piano performed by Josef Suk and Josef Hála in 2000. The weightiest work on the CD is the Sonata in D. This is four movement work with both outer fast movements having slow introductions. Klassik quite enjoys the dance third movement with the use of pizzicato.

The disc concludes with some short bits. They're quite good. Klassik will post the Song Without Words for Two Violins and Piano:

Full album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lF75THQIuQklLI378Hhb2W93Snlui6h84