Linn Owners

volume offset

Bladvoc

Wammer
Mar 16, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all

Just looking through my online linn account and all the different options (so far only looked at SO).

Noticed in sources my LP12 has 'volume offset' set at +5

What is this and should it be zero?

'input level' at 2V - is this ok?

Advice always appreciated.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Volume Offset is there so that sources of differing “loudness” can be adjusted to be more balanced.

2V should be fine, unless you’re experiencing any clipping.

’troll

Last edited:

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Too much of an increase brings up the background noise from the disc and can distort the sound. So I set it to default for my Kystal MC.
Are you also volume matching with other sources? I had the gain of the Urika II set at 56db (default is 50db) with no volume offset. I then tried the default setting of 50db with volume offset at +5 (5.0). I thought I preferred the latter at the time. But I do recall not hearing much difference at all.

Last edited:

Sound Man

Wammer
Aug 7, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello akamatsu, I presume you mean by the Urika II seting the phono setting in konfig for the MC, that is set to default. I do not use the Exact off set on the Organik DSM. I did find that if you increase the DSM off set too much you will have problems with the sound from the disc

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hello akamatsu, I presume you mean by the Urika II seting the phono setting in konfig for the MC, that is set to default. I do not use the Exact off set on the Organik DSM. I did find that if you increase the DSM off set too much you will have problems with the sound from the disc
I may have to revisit this and compare. It's easy enough to do without even getting up off the sofa. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx