Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
bodymusic wrote:

HiWhere exactly are the screws located for changing the up and down motion of the tonearm (ie for adjusting VTA)?
On the NAS/Rega collet in your pic you'll see 2 small, black grub screws which are hex headed. Undo them and the arm will be able to rise and fall. When you're happy, re-tighten them just enough to prevent the arm from collapsing down.

Robert's your mum's brother.
smile.png

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
Yup. You can't adjust the vta on a rega without a Michell VTA djuster or such like.If you're using a NAS, slacken the hex bolts in the arm collet,and higher the arm up, or lower it if you need too.

You can't use a michell VTA adjuster either if using a NAS,as it makes the Rega arm too high for the platter,seriously tail up action if you do.

bodymusic

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 6, 2006
Greater London
Excuse my cluelessness here but where exactly are the hex bolts in the arm collet situated? Are they either of the two sets of screws on that silver ring in the picture (one pair on top, the other around the circumference)?
wink.png
Or somewhere else?

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
the hex bolts are situated on the side, not the ones viewed from the top.you can see the 2 on the pic.

They are on the 'circumferance' as you say.
smile.png

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
They do. You should have had some that were supplied with the NAS. I had some with the Spacedeck, but lost them,and bought a screwdriver set from Wickes wth allen key heads that does the job just as well.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hex head screws are useless, they round off too easily even with the correct size bit. The only reason they are used is for aesthetics; posidrive heads would be much better. I had four on the top of my amp and have had to replace them because they became impossible to unscew. Just be careful you don't bugger them up.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
TIU wrote:

Hex head screws are useless, they round off too easily even with the correct size bit. The only reason they are used is for aesthetics; posidrive heads would be much better. I had four on the top of my amp and have had to replace them because they became impossible to unscew. Just be careful you don't bugger them up.
Ifsomeone's doing up the hexheads on the NAS arm collet with enough torque to round them off then if would parhaps be wise to... 'step away from the turntable and put that Allen key down'
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

biggrin.png

Hexheads are fine - what usually causes them to round-off is using a. tools which don't fit perfectlyor b. sh*te quality hex bolts.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
... or a useless operator like me. I suppose the case screws on the top of an amp are different than on a delicate arm base. Point taken.

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
They shouldn`t be done up that tight anyway, just enough to stop the NAS falling apart. (according to Tom)
smile.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles