• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Wadia 581

boseman

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
886
0
0
Here., ,
Has anyone heard a Wadia 581 yet? What's it like?

I'm thinking of ordering one at the end of this month, so comments will be useful.

Cheers.

 
G

Guest

Guest
Due to production issues or finance ( whichever you believe:Not Sure:) they are still rarer than hens teeth. Mr Coherent was expecting one in last week so hopefully he may be able to help. Rumours are its different to the Wadia house sound.

 
G

Guest

Guest
Due in a couple of weeks last I heard, 781 supposedly end of year

 
M

Mr Coherent

Guest
Good luck Boseman
smile.png


We've been waiting since 2nd week in Feb sir for our Demo model

Been promised delivery of the unit 6 times in the last 4 months, the last date was 26th June for shipping. Still none anyway.

In the US the dealers were taking 50% deposits on new orders:shock:, even the die hard Wadia fans in the us are 'ruffled'

The financial state of the company is a big concern, they ahd a management buy out last December (along with all the previous monetry issues that preceded it as well)

A good company with poor business skills is a shame, but a real problem in today’s world.

For us its a poor show, we had a number of wadia owners that were waiting for the 581's and ultimately the 781's (though you can upgrade the 851's by swapping the dac boards).

They had tired of waiting and have lost their great faith in Wadia and purchased Esoteric’s in place of them.

We had statements ranging from, we under estimated the demand we are running night shifts, to transport/clock issues/to shipping delays.

Frankly for a company of Wadia reputation its not good enough, coupled with the uncertainty of their finances and information they have provided. (that’s after chasing for information and we are a dealer!!!)

I would be seeking some cast iron assurances on delivery and the ability of your money to be refunded in the event of no show.

The 581 which was on display at the ces this year was giving the performance very close to a 861se at £7k retial, (no digital input/output boards at the basic price, this costs a further £1500).

I would also be very interested in the warranty of the unit, and who would cover it if the company went under?

Mr.C who loves Wadia, but really is not happy with their situation.

 

boseman

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
886
0
0
Here., ,
Thanks for the replies. Very useful info, Mr.C.

Yeah, I am concerned about delivery & warranty issues as well and have considered Esoteric but I am adamant any new cdp should have a volume control (I want to avoid another pricey purchase) and I would very much prefer a black finish... kind of counts out Esoteric, I think.

I'll have to talk to the Wadia dealer here - a hifi shop I've found very recently - and see if there are any $ back guarantees.

This is all turning out wrong 'cos I sold my MF A5 cdp & pre to fund a new Wadia only and I've been using my iPod for around 3 months now. Not bad but...

l might now consider the Resolution Audio Opus 21, Audio Aero aren't available here & the manufacturer hasn't bothered to reply to my email enquiry, the new Nagra is not available yet and may be massively overpriced (I think)...

Am I missing any other options, apart from spraying an Esoteric black?

 
M

Mr Coherent

Guest
You could try Accuphase
smile.png


Personally I find the Wadia's lacking without a Pre now, and don't run them without it.

The AA captiol at £5.5K is another option thats ok.

Although these chaps make some rather special cdp/dac's with vol control

http://www.msbtech.com/

 

Lawrie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
1,512
1
0
Mr Coherent wrote:

Good luck Boseman
smile.png
We've been waiting since 2nd week in Feb sir for our Demo model

Been promised delivery of the unit 6 times in the last 4 months, the last date was 26th June for shipping. Still none anyway.

In the US the dealers were taking 50% deposits on new orders:shock:, even the die hard Wadia fans in the us are 'ruffled'

The financial state of the company is a big concern, they ahd a management buy out last December (along with all the previous monetry issues that preceded it as well)

A good company with poor business skills is a shame, but a real problem in today’s world.

For us its a poor show, we had a number of wadia owners that were waiting for the 581's and ultimately the 781's (though you can upgrade the 851's by swapping the dac boards).

They had tired of waiting and have lost their great faith in Wadia and purchased Esoteric’s in place of them.

We had statements ranging from, we under estimated the demand we are running night shifts, to transport/clock issues/to shipping delays.

Frankly for a company of Wadia reputation its not good enough, coupled with the uncertainty of their finances and information they have provided. (that’s after chasing for information and we are a dealer!!!)

I would be seeking some cast iron assurances on delivery and the ability of your money to be refunded in the event of no show.

The 581 which was on display at the ces this year was giving the performance very close to a 861se at £7k retial, (no digital input/output boards at the basic price, this costs a further £1500).

I would also be very interested in the warranty of the unit, and who would cover it if the company went under?

Mr.C who loves Wadia, but really is not happy with their situation.
Mr C,

I sense some deja vu in those comments but from a different source.
smile.png
A while ago on another forum, I advised caution to someone who was about to dump his hard earned cash on a Wadia unit that he hadn't even heard. My caution was based around the fact that Wadia's financial situation was looking precarious again and even went on to say that Wadia had been under more times than a deep sea diver (whether the public & dealers were aware of it or not). I remember the backlash I got for this. Since then, I haven't discussed Wadia's business so it interesting to read the comments above:).

Wadia has brilliant engineers but very poor business and investment skills and IMO, they don't care much for their customers (the buying public). In a lot of ways I would say that hype and clever marketing has allowed them to be around for this long. Since Esoteric pulled a blinder by jacking-up the price of their transports, forcing Wadia to look elsewhere, the new transport set-up in the Wadia 5 & 7 series has had some reliability problems including timing issues. Esoteric had a game plan (to push-up the price of their VRDS transports beyond the wallet of Wadia) while they forged ahead with the X-03, X-01 etc models and it looks like it is working given the success of their models.

Right now, I would once again advise caution to anyone contemplating jumping on the Wadia bandwagon. The longevity of the company should be uppermost in your mind rather than how much shinier the new units will be (me know nothing;)). If you are aching to spend those excess funds under the mattress, then calculate how much you would lose if Wadia went under and a problem developed with the transport unit or another part of the player. Then donate that amount to a charity as that I am sure will generate a much better feeling on your part rather than thinking that yhou have been had.
smile.png
Wadia generates a lot of hype and I don't know why but at this point in time, I would say, wait and see unless your idea or a warranty is a worthless piece of paper but then that piece of paper could always be framed for the memories.

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie:D

 

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
11,690
4
0
, ,
Mr Coherent wrote:

I would also be very interested in the warranty of the unit, and who would cover it if the company went under?

Mr.C who loves Wadia, but really is not happy with their situation.
I spoke along time ago, with Wadia on this subject and the problem getting transports for one of the models

Wadias answer took my breath away. Its posted in full on hi fi choice somewhere as I pasted the e-mail I got from them.

It was along the lines, "well its covered for 12 months" what more do you want ?

If a company goes under unless you have third party cover you cover repair costs

sometimes people buying out will carry the cost in law they have no need to do that

Last big case in UK where this became a point of law is prestige pressure cookers

they come "with life time cover"

after management buy out only ones sold after new contracts are now covered
sad.png


 

Lawrie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
1,512
1
0
Davewhityetagain wrote:

Mr Coherent wrote:
I would also be very interested in the warranty of the unit, and who would cover it if the company went under?

Mr.C who loves Wadia, but really is not happy with their situation.
I spoke along time ago, with Wadia on this subject and the problem getting transports for one of the models

Wadias answer took my breath away. Its posted in full on hi fi choice somewhere as I pasted the e-mail I got from them.

It was along the lines, "well its covered for 12 months" what more do you want ?

If a company goes under unless you have third party cover you cover repair costs

sometimes people buying out will carry the cost in law they have no need to do that
Dave,

That's what I meant when I stated that Wadia did not give a hoot for it's customers and your experience (and that of many more) just confirms that. So it looks like I wasn't making it up then.
smile.png
IMO, the technology and the distributors are of the most interest to that company.

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie:D

 

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
11,690
4
0
, ,
Lawrie wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:
Mr Coherent wrote:
I would also be very interested in the warranty of the unit, and who would cover it if the company went under?

Mr.C who loves Wadia, but really is not happy with their situation.
I spoke along time ago, with Wadia on this subject and the problem getting transports for one of the models

Wadias answer took my breath away. Its posted in full on hi fi choice somewhere as I pasted the e-mail I got from them.

It was along the lines, "well its covered for 12 months" what more do you want ?

If a company goes under unless you have third party cover you cover repair costs

sometimes people buying out will carry the cost in law they have no need to do that
Dave,

That's what I meant when I stated that Wadia did not give a hoot for it's customers and your experience (and that of many more) just confirms that. So it looks like I wasn't making it up then.
smile.png
IMO, the technology and the distributors are of the most interest to that company.

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie:D
needing customers money is the last stages of a slow death, if the banks will not give over drafts or loans to allow the company to produce new products

then they must see or know of a problem

which makes them think its too big a risk

and any company saying well its covered for 12 months time to run away

 

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
12,907
147
123
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too nearly bought a 581, i had one on order for 2 months. Now over 2 months since i ditched and bought the Esoteric theres still no sign of the Wadia. Having done a bit of research at the time (with Dave W's assistance) i can't say i'm surprised at all.

In fact i'll go so far as to say i'll be surprised if we ever see the 581 on these shores. Paying £7k for a cdp whose parent company may be on the brink of receivership is madness imo. I went for another brand and i suggest you do the same Boseman. There are other players out there just as good as Wadia - perhaps even better.

 

boseman

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
886
0
0
Here., ,
Thanks for all the replies! I will certainly refrain from handing over my $ to the Wadia dealer for now... will think about it more and see what I can dig up on Wadia's current situation.

 

boseman

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
886
0
0
Here., ,
DAVE, could you PLEASE provide a link to the post you mention (the one with a cut & paste of a Wadia email to you)? I have trawled HiFiChoice but cannot find the thread / post you mention. Thanks!

 
G

Guest

Guest
boseman

why not get a pre owned 861 SE?

willl the 581 really be any better? considering the change in transport, and you may be able to pick up a fairly new one for less than the price of the 581?

in fact isn't there a 681 SE (gti nutter bastard in the prv calssifieds?)

 

boseman

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
886
0
0
Here., ,
There's a good reason, AK. To cut a long story short, I've just located a Wadia dealer here in Riyadh & the price agreed for a new 230V 581 is well below the price of a used 861 in the UK.

 
G

Guest

Guest
That could be because its inferior but as no-one can demo them at the moment let alone see one its all rather academic.

 

boseman

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
886
0
0
Here., ,
The Q is whether I should put some $ down and order the 581 or is it too risky?

The price I agreed here seems to be a one off and is not because it is inferior but because I have haggled the price like mad (customary here in Saudi). It is still not cheap so I still am hesitant about making an order.

I was hoping someone heard the 581 and can confirm that it is at least a good cdp.

 

Forum statistics

Threads
108,076
Messages
2,288,179
Members
69,153
Latest member
kengxx