Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the penultimate set of results from the Census, we can look at the results in respect of the speaker and headphone question.

This was a thematic follow on from the previous question on amplifiers, so the question just read "And your speakers?" .  This was a multi select question set that aimed to capture at least 3 distinct attributes - not ideal for a couple of them, as I detail later.

Firstly, the aim was to capture the how the speaker was powered - passive to the various types of active. 226 responses were provided from 211 different respondents, again reflecting that more than one speaker or multiple systems may be owned by some.

Speaker type.PNG

78% reflect the traditional passive type and we have one wireless user. 22% of speakers are either partly or fully active, which I would suggest could reflect a strong emerging trend.  16 sets of speakers out there are active with external amps, which may well indicate a DIY route reflecting a number of such threads of projects of this type. No respondents solely use headphones.

Moving on to the type transducer method used, the number of respondents dropped off to 104.

Speaker transducer.PNG    

Not surprisingly, cone type speakers dominate, but a decent number of panel speakers out there and even a few horns.

Limitations on how the question was structured play out in the following two charts.  Because there was no option for no sub woofer / no headphones, unfortunately it is difficult to judge the context for the affirmative responses. I have used the total 215 respondents as the basis for the following charts but strongly suspect  - particularly considering the drop off in response rate over the first two parts - that the affirmative proportions shown below are likely to be higher - you live and learn...

Firstly we asked who uses a separate sub woofer;

Sub Woofer.PNG  

And then who uses headphones (within a HiFi context) and for what proportion of their listening time; Headphone usage.PNG  

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I’m in the 5% who ha ve a fully active external amp setup and only 10% who have a separate sub …..does that equate to 0.5% 😁😁

• Haha
Reactions: Tony_J

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I’m in the 5% who ha ve a fully active external amp setup and only 10% who have a separate sub …..does that equate to 0.5% 😁😁
No Keith - you're more like 0.0005%... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles