• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Wammers Album Club, Tues 11th Feb: Wooden Shjips - Back to Land

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Not much new music in the WAC lately, so here's an album from 2013:

artworks-000057946306-v5l7uk-original.jpg

Back to Land is the fourth studio album from San Fancisco psych-rock outfit Wooden Shjips

The band look like this:

images

And they sound a lot like that, too! Enjoy. :hash:

• Upvote
Reactions: Jimmy Moff

voiceofthemysterons

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2007
MindSpace.
Last track is very catchy, the others less so. They've done better.

Endless Boogie are another band to look out for if you like this and dammit-I really wish Cave would come over to England..

Jerrykan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2010
Dorsetestershire
AKA
Matthew
Heard the single, Back to Land, on the radio and spent the next 6 days listening to it on Youtube, I've always been a sjucker for Velvet Underground inspired dronery.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The americans do this stuff best. I played the first 4 tracks this am, and will return. I hear so many sources buried in here (some not too deeply...Love, The Byrds, Robert Plant, Sufjan Stevens) all of whom I like, that I will certainly listen on. Only slight question in my mind is 'does it do enough to float free of all those influences and stand on it's own'? Regardless, enjoyable, and not 80's dirge synth crap so Thanks! :)

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:^ :D I can see some horn locking with Whizzkid coming...
Yep! saw them live, fucking awful played 1 "song" 10 times and that "song" was rubbish, not a great advert for modern music. I should of ask for my money back but I enjoyed the company I was with.

voiceofthemysterons

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2007
MindSpace.
Yep! saw them live, fucking awful played 1 "song" 10 times and that "song" was rubbish, not a great advert for modern music. I should of ask for my money back but I enjoyed the company I was with.
Really? You were under Thor's armpit for most of it!

crimsondonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2008
Great pick, prefer the debut over this one but I am a sucker for this kind of psych drone.

If you like this you may (already) like The Warlocks, Black Angels, Spacemen 3, Loop etc.

Bluemessiah

Not now
Wammer
Jun 21, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This appears to be terrible derivative bollocks by a bunch of long-haired soap dodging wasters who have taken too many hallucinogenic drugs.

I love it. :^

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This appears to be terrible derivative bollocks by a bunch of long-haired soap dodging wasters who have taken too many hallucinogenic drugs.I love it. :^
Hahahaha. Agree totally.

I should hate it. However, Mibby got me into Wooden and I seriously enjoy their stuff. And this is enjoyable too. Though I'm not sure it's quite up to the earlier output.

Great album though.

7/10 from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawuschel