• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Wammers Album Club Tues 31st Dec The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society

rockabillybass

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've noticed that The Kinks and Ray Davies are not posted often on The Wam.

My choice for this round, "The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society" is Ray's concept album that harks back to warm beer, cricket and an altogether more innocent time, that in reality probably never existed in the way that Ray wanted it to.

Musically you get finely crafted songs with melodies that are complex with dense inventive arrangements. Only Brian Wilson was crafting songs that reached this level of sophistication at the time. This is the least "rocky" of the Kinks work and is more like a Ray Davies solo album.

Once some of the hooks get into your brain, you won't shift them, the song "Village Green" sticks in my mind for days. You have been warned. :D

This album is highly influential and is the precursor to British artists such as Paul Weller. It's an undoubted classic that should be in the collection of any discerning music lover.

Here is the Spotify link

Here is the Grooveshark link

MI0001560279.jpg

• Upvote
Reactions: Jimmy Moff

cobbler

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 19, 2009
Northants
AKA
Pete
I have a copy of this but haven't listened to it in ages .......... time to dust it off and have another listen :^

mikedefacto

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Liverpool
AKA
Mike
Mate of mine is a Kinks fan and he played me a ton of stuff last new years eve/day. Don't know if any of it was on here. I shall find out!

G

:testy1:

Genius choice Martin.

The Kinks were perceived as a singles band, so their albums didn't sell especially well.

As English as Morris Dancing, warm beer and Desperate Dan, the album harks back to a far more innocent time.

That and this album was seriously out of step with the heavy rock that was just around the corner.

If you get the chance to see Ray Davis play live...go.

The man's a living legend and should be knighted.

G

Good choice,Ray Davis is on Jools Hollands NYE show.
Saw him live, just a few years ago.

His band were 1/2 his age, and struggled to keep up.

He did Waterloo Sunset, solo.

I guarantee there was not one dry eye in the house.

Lord Davis of Muswell Hill, if there's any justice in the honours system.

Which there isnt.

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
He's also on "Talks music" on Sky Art's 1 on Mon Dec 30th @ 9 pm.

Yep deserves more recognition IMO.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
:testy1: Genius choice Martin.

The Kinks were perceived as a singles band, so their albums didn't sell especially well.

As English as Morris Dancing, warm beer and Desperate Dan, the album harks back to a far more innocent time.

That and this album was seriously out of step with the heavy rock that was just around the corner.

If you get the chance to see Ray Davis play live...go.

The man's a living legend and should be knighted.
Fantastic album! Makes me want to cry- an innocent time when it was ok to be English and talk about it- Waterloo Sunset SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THIS ALBUM! my favourite tune of all time, classic. :notworthy:

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is nestling in the recesses of my vinyl (the ones that are still in boxes). I will give it a run on Spotify as I'm having problems with my PS at the mo :(

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
I have never been a huge fan of The Kinks and don't own any of their records, although Ray Davis has certainly written some great songs and is an undoubted influence. (Not sure I have ever really forgiven him for shagging Chrissy Hind).

Maybe this album needs a few listens which might explain why it was a flop when issued but has achieved huge status since, but it doesn't do a lot for me. A couple of tracks made me sit up and listen but not enough to buy it.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well...blimey. It's the 60's again. Loved the Kinks at the time but really never kept up with Mr Davis and friends after that, although I recognise his genius as a songwriter.

Look forward to a gentle trot back in time. :^

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
West Cheshire
AKA
Barry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Stones and The Beatles are the names that come to mind for the 60's, but when you hear their music its The Kinks and The Small Faces that bring it all back.

Professor Chaos

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2007
Toronto
AKA
Kelley
Excellent!!!! :eek:j: Phenomenal Cat is a good excuse to make sure the track skip button on your remote works, but the rest of the album is a remarkable piece of work:)

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
West Cheshire
AKA
Barry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fantastic album! Makes me want to cry- an innocent time when it was ok to be English and talk about it- Waterloo Sunset SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THIS ALBUM! my favourite tune of all time, classic. :notworthy:
It is a fabulous song and maybe my favourite of all time as well but it would not have fitted in on this album, IMO.

Professor Chaos

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2007
Toronto
AKA
Kelley
Little children who are good

Should always go to sleep at night

'Cause wicked Annabella is up in the sky

Hopin' they will open their eyes

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really enjoyed this and so did Mrs Expat. It's all sounded a bit dated but nowt wrong with that. I'm really tired after finishing night shifts and don't want to think too much, this album made me smile. Not because it was funny but it it well written with great lyrics and harks back to a simpler time. Nothing challenging here, which doesn't suit me very often (I get bored easily), but today it sat very well. Good album.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
egs