hifistudent

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2005
Brighton or Newcastl
Firstly, excuse the pun.

Now onto the Hi-Fi

I've got a Rotel RA-03, Cyrus CD6 and a pair of Monitor Audio S8s

Got the usual cables and isolation bla bla bla, though no power/power cable upgrades yet.

If I were to upgrade anything......what should it be? CDP to the CD6s? New amp? Better speakers?

Advise away
tongue.png

U

Umberto

Keep the CD6. CD6s probably not worth it. Look at upgrading the amp to something a bit beefier.

U

Umberto

Ah ..... you can geta 2nd hand Primare a30.1 for that, or look at the Naim Nait 5.

U

Umberto

Biscuit wrote:

the Rotel is a nice amp, and the whole system looks pretty good on paper (to me). If you want to buy something, try a PSX-R for the Cyrus.
Reckon the PSX-R is a bit of a waste of £450 (I used to have Cyrus kit) and anyway it wont work with aCD6.

hifistudent

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2005
Brighton or Newcastl
If I were to do a sub £100 upgrade, what is worth doing?

I have good speaker cable and interconnects already. Thus is it possible to get any closer to audio nirvana without forking out for it?

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
hifistudent wrote:

If I were to do a sub £100 upgrade, what is worth doing?I have good speaker cable and interconnects already. Thus is it possible to get any closer to audio nirvana without forking out for it?
half a dozen cds

U

Umberto

What interconnectst and speaker cable you got?

Interconnects -some would say they all sound the same but you can experiment at that price point.Try some silver I/Cs. PM effem. He makes them for a living.

Mains Cables - Upgrades are subtle but can be worthwhile.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Rotel was in a group test in Nov 05 HFC and faired well against more expensive competition. The verdict was 'Does all the basics commendably, only losing out in imaging and fine detail to dearer competition.' The review also said it 'has limitations in tonal accuracy and imaging... but remains good value.'

Upgrading your speakers will give the most tonal change but the amp needs considering too. Primare or Sugden perhaps?

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Umberto Vanni wrote:

Try some Atlas speaker cable. Smooth sounding and will help tame the Monitor Audio bightness.http://www.hifi.org.uk/
When and how did Monitor Audio get this constantly refered to reputation for producing bright speakers? It seems that every time someone mentions having any one model, someone says their 'brightness' needs to be tamed. What brightness?

hifistudent

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2005
Brighton or Newcastl
Primare.

I must say i agree. I have not found then that bright (compared to other systems i have heard) though I must say I am very pleased with them. Got them before the RS8s, so only cost £500
smile.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online