Linn Owners

What’s is the best order for LP12 upgrades?

Icedragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 2, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I purchased my LP12, Basik , K9 new in 1984, which has been upgraded over the years to currently Cirkus, Trampolin, Ittok LVII (AO modded), Benz Micro ACE SL, Lingo 1.

From what I’ve read, next in the upgrade path should be Karousel & Kore, but I may have opportunity to go further…. Would an (SH) Ekos MK1 or 2 be an appreciable / worthwhile upgrade to the Ittok, ditto a (New or SH) Lingo 4 for the 1.

I assume that I should be able to recoup a little from sale / part ex of Ittok & Lingo to help fund Ekos/Lingo 4.

Wenge1

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 19, 2021
West Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the LP12 the well-established order is bearing, Power supply, sub chassis, arm then cart. All of the upgrades you mention will have a positive impact but sticking to the hierarchy will give you the biggest improvement starting with the Karousel.

Icedragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 2, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So PS before sub chassis / arm, the only reason I'm querying that is the different fittings on the Kore for Ittok / Ekos. Total spend there is @ £5k with the PS being the largest amount. If I had the funds upfront I would def go for that, but I may have to be more "modular" i.e Kore drilled for Ekos rather than Ittok, which is partly why I'm wonering if the Ekos will be a significant enough improvement over the Ittok, if not then the Ittok can stay and I should "save" enough for PS/Karousel?Kore.

Reactions: akamatsu

Mr Kandid

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
Linn's Broom Kloset
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So PS before sub chassis / arm, the only reason I'm querying that is the different fittings on the Kore for Ittok / Ekos. Total spend there is @ £5k with the PS being the largest amount. If I had the funds upfront I would def go for that, but I may have to be more "modular" i.e Kore drilled for Ekos rather than Ittok, which is partly why I'm wonering if the Ekos will be a significant enough improvement over the Ittok, if not then the Ittok can stay and I should "save" enough for PS/Karousel?Kore.
You can use your Ittok on the Kore “ if it’s the thick pillar version “ it’s easy to pop a small hole blank in the Kore if you change so get that Bearing PS and Kore.
That will bring far more upgrade than just changing the arm as the foundation is set.(y)

Wenge1

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 19, 2021
West Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I would definitely go for the Karousel and the power supply first. Enjoy these with your Ittok which is more than good enough to show the improvements they would bring. The Ekos is a big improvement over the Ittok and I would then save for the sub-chassis and the arm and not get a Kore drilled for the Ittok. I say this because I don't like the idea of 'filling' the hole when I changed the arm - it's just a personal preference. The Ekos needs at least a Kore for it to perform at its best.

Icedragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 2, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can use your Ittok on the Kore “ if it’s the thick pillar version “ it’s easy to pop a small hole blank in the Kore if you change so get that Bearing PS and Kore.
That will bring far more upgrade than just changing the arm as the foundation is set.(y)
Thick pillar version? Got separate armrest clip on arm board

Mr Kandid

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
Linn's Broom Kloset
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thick pillar version? Got separate armrest clip on arm board
Ittok came with two sizes of main arm pillar thickness one thin and one the same size as current Ekos
I’m not sure of the serial numbers but best to know before you make too many plans regards sub chassis.
Cant go wrong with the new bearing and better power supply though.

• Upvote
Reactions: Wenge1 and ThomasOK

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was in a similar position to you. Karousel was the first and obvious choice (and make no mistake, it's a "must have"). I already had a Lingo 4 (I'm afraid I have no idea whether that would be a good upgrade to your Lingo 1), and was alternating between Keel and Kore. I settled for Kore as I also have an Ittok LVII and felt that Keel would be a "forever" upgrade therefore accompanied with an Ekos, and not be left with a hole when that day finally comes.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Several years ago, my LP12 consisted of Cirkus, Radikal, Cirkus sub-chassis, Ittok LVII. I was ready to get the Kore, and have the whole drilled out by the dealer to accommodate the armrest. The dealer offered to sell me an Ittok LVIII from his personal stash. The LVIII has an integrated armrest like the Ekos. So I got the LVIII. I was blown away by the improvement. Mind you, this was with Radikal in place. I attribute a solid majority of the improvement to the Kore.

In your case, I'd recommend getting the Karousel and Kore first. I'm thinking that the Kore would really compliment the Karousel. I'm sure your dealer would appreciate doing both whilst the deck is apart. Then enjoy while you save up for a power supply. If you get the Lingo 4, the next upgrade in the hierarchy would be the Radikal II.

Another thought; I would only buy a used tonearm from a dealer with whom I have a relationship. I'd hate to see you give up an Ittok that is of known condition and works well to take a chance on a used Ekos.

If all upgrades were the same price, we would simply follow the hierarchy. Since this isn't the case, we have to use some finesse to get the most out of available funds.

LP12 upgrades are the best. So much fun! :)

Reactions: quinn_t

Icedragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 2, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks folks, useful advice. Re sourcing an Ekos all the available ones on places like e*** seem to be from dealers who are selling lots of linn bits, prices are @£1000 for a mk 1 £1400 for a MK2. Are those reasonable prices? Would a sh lingo be a good option as well?

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just checked hifishark and there's only one sh LIngo 4. It's in New Zealand. I would call around to dealers as I can see them coming in for trade against Radikal purchases.
I similarly thought that there may be a good many Mk1 Radikals available as a result of the recent upgrades. But, a quick look around (not exhaustive): I haven't seen any!

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I similarly thought that there may be a good many Mk1 Radikals available as a result of the recent upgrades. But, a quick look around (not exhaustive): I haven't seen any!
But the Mk1s can be upgraded to Mk2s. I can see Akurate cased Radikals coming onto the market as folks upgrade to the Klimax cased Radikal. I happen to have an Akurate Radikal Mk1 surplus to my needs, for now.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd keep the Ittok if it has the one piece counterweight (and thicker pillar). Used arms are a bit of a crap shoot. Get rid of the "Liberty Bell" subchassis first! A Mober or Kore would be great but even a Majik is better than the old steel sub. If you can stretch to a kore and Karousel, then a Lingo 4, you'll have a great mid level Lp12. Anything above that...... well..... Keel, Radikal, etc, you need to be sure that's where your money is best spent.

• Upvote

quinn_t

Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the LP12 the well-established order is bearing, Power supply, sub chassis, arm then cart. All of the upgrades you mention will have a positive impact but sticking to the hierarchy will give you the biggest improvement starting with the Karousel.
I use a Lejonklou Entity 1.1 phono stage + Lingo 4, it sounds great, some say it sounds even better than the Naim Superline/Supercap or Radikal/Urika II.

cre009

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 9, 2015
UK Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A dealer told me that some of them did have problems. Certainly not all of them. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm think at this point they either have the problem, or they don't. A good dealer should be able to sort this.
The Ekos1 issues that I am aware of as an owner are a sticky tracking force dial and an undersized headshell that can limit cartridge choice. I have not seen any plausible reports of bearing issues.

The tracking force dial on mine requires quite a bit of pressure to adjust it.