what classical music are you listening to now ?

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
N W London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Clive Revill, appeared in 60's & 70's dramas in the USA & UK, William Conrad a director/producer was TV detective Cannon.
This is possibly my favourite Mikado though in the early 1960's I heard after a dinner the then British law Lords sing to the American Supreme Court "Let the punishment fit the crime" to illustrate the basic precept of their sentencing.

MIKADO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nopiano

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

There was a brief mention of Vasks a few weeks ago - https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/th...c-are-you-listening-to-now.80205/post-2224145

So looks like there is now another recording of the 2nd Cello concerto to rival Sol Gabetta's..... what does Marko Ylonen do about the wordless soprano part that Sol Gabetta sang herself?

I have his recording of the 1st Cello Concerto, very good it is too.

Meantime.... I was listening to Valentin Silvestrov's 6th Symphony. Nice sounds - lots of big floating shimmering chords abound - but I'm not quite sure what the musical line was. Much like his 5th symphony which I have a recording of somewhere that I haven't heard in dozens of years. Not too sure I'd be able to tell one symphony by Silvestrov from another tbh.

silvestrov-6.jpg

I fancied hearing something by a living Ukrainian composer, and also because I saw Andrey Boreyko conducting Shostakovich 5th and 2nd Piano Concerto just last Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: tuga and dari

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
Newcastle-under-Lyme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There was a brief mention of Vasks a few weeks ago - https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/th...c-are-you-listening-to-now.80205/post-2224145

So looks like there is now another recording of the 2nd Cello concerto to rival Sol Gabetta's..... what does Marko Ylonen do about the wordless soprano part that Sol Gabetta sang herself?

I have his recording of the 1st Cello Concerto, very good it is too.

Meantime.... I was listening to Valentin Silvestrov's 6th Symphony. Nice sounds - lots of big floating shimmering chords abound - but I'm not quite sure what the musical line was. Much like his 5th symphony which I have a recording of somewhere that I haven't heard in dozens of years. Not too sure I'd be able to tell one symphony by Silvestrov from another tbh.

silvestrov-6.jpg

I fancied hearing something by a living Ukrainian composer, and also because I saw Andrey Boreyko conducting Shostakovich 5th and 2nd Piano Concerto just last Friday.
I am slowly discovering Vasks and I love what I am hearing. For the past few years I was listening on rotation mostly Gubaidulina, Penderecki. and Lutoslawski. Dutilleux Tout un Monde Lointain stirred my world last year when I heard it for the first time. Now I already have few recordings of this cello concerto. Stunning piece! No wonder it is sometimes mentioned as 'The' Cello Concerto of the XX Century.
I have complete Dutilleux The Centenary Edition, but there is so much other good stuff to listen.
Vasks catalogue is rather big too
Happy time :)

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think Dutilleux should be regarded as on of the best composers of 2nd half of twentieth century- and he was still writing powerful pieces in his last years before he passed in 2013. I think he was criminally under-regarded in his lifetime because he was not a serialist and Pierre Boulez kept him out of the French musical establishment. Tragic.

If you like Vasks and Dutilleux then might be worth hearing some of swede Anders Hillborg's music
Sirens and Beast Sampler are well worth hearing.

Also Esa-Pekka Salonen's music too. He's starting to be recognised as much as a composer as a conductor
and the piano concerto too

Reactions: dari

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well worth a listen. It's a shame it won't be truly appreciated until he is long gone.

91Jd+mr89mL._AC_SX522_.jpg
Yup, I like this.
A bit Copland-ish in places. It sounds like it's about to break out into Simple Gifts at times.
And the piano sound is a bit annoying. Over close, plummy and closed in. But it's probably intentional.
I'll be trying some of his other work.

Reactions: garn63

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
More from Roger (and Brian) Eno.
Mixing Colours.

I think I like this even more than The Turning Year album. There's more of an uninterrupted sense of tranquility to it. Definitely chill out music.
@garn63

garn63

Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
N. Wales.
AKA
Mark.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
More from Roger (and Brian) Eno.
Mixing Colours.

I think I like this even more than The Turning Year album. There's more of an uninterrupted sense of tranquility to it. Definitely chill out music.
@garn63

I love this album Jerry. The diff tones late at night are wonderful. Didn't think I should mention it on a classical thread though :) There is an expanded edition with another 8 tracks on if you can find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JANDL100

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer Plus
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Mouse, Mickey (Mr)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some very interesting harmonies in this piece, Les Bergers. Especially from 3.10. Quite addictive.....

I like the 3rd variation best, the first is too angular. There were no harmonies at 3:10 it was just a melodic line. Or did you mean bar 10 of the 3rd variation?