what classical music are you listening to now ?

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I mean the harmonies, or melodies, from 3.10. You can see from the score it starts in A major, but then look at bars 65 and 66 where the melody finishes on a chord of A minor. But what the melody is doing over A minor is going into Ab major and finishing Ab, Bb, C. It's a most unusual sequence and very arresting. I think it's beautiful. It's a bit more obvious from Olivier Latry, from 3.25

Reactions: Le Baron and dari

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think Dutilleux should be regarded as on of the best composers of 2nd half of twentieth century- and he was still writing powerful pieces in his last years before he passed in 2013. I think he was criminally under-regarded in his lifetime because he was not a serialist and Pierre Boulez kept him out of the French musical establishment. Tragic.

If you like Vasks and Dutilleux then might be worth hearing some of swede Anders Hillborg's music
[URL]https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=anders hillborg[/URL]
Sirens and Beast Sampler are well worth hearing.

Also Esa-Pekka Salonen's music too. He's starting to be recognised as much as a composer as a conductor
[URL]https://www.prestomusic.com/cl...SLpNylHgyCP8mKePXc-FYajZIcNddrWIaAsJhEALw_wcB[/URL]
and the piano concerto too
[URL]https://www.prestomusic.com/cl...SLpNylHgyCP8mKePXc-FYajZIcNddrWIaAsJhEALw_wcB[/URL]
I have Renee Fleming's album called Distant Light with one composition by Hillborg The Strand Settings, for soprano and orchestra, and I love it. I've also heard Eleven Gates. After these two compositions I want more of Hillberg, so thank you for recommending and reminding.

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This and the songs are splendid. Especially the Henri Duparc:

MC0yNDk1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Reactions: pmcuk

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bach solo violin music today. Favourites are Hahn, Fischer, Faust, Milstein, Tetzlaff, Rosand and my new discovery Christiane Edinger.

Splendid stuff, never gets old. If you like solo violin music - and I know you also have a taste for the modern too - you may like Weinberg's solo violin music, and the famous works for solo viola?

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shostakovich being all contrapuntal (as he so often was). Ashkenazy was a good interpreter of old Shosty.

Reactions: maddog_007

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This performance of Ravel's Gaspard de la nuit is different from the more commonly-heard performance (and DG recording) by Martha Argerich, but no less marvellous. Samson François's output in his relatively short life (he started young) is wide-ranging. For Debussy and Ravel he was an expert interpreter. His performance of Estampes is my all time favourite:

ravel-l-oeuvre-pour-piano-vol-2-gaspard-de-la-nuit-le-tombeau-de-couperin-valses-nobles-et-sentimentales-b-iext61455051.jpg

Scarlet Pimpernel

Where's my pencil...?
Wammer
Feb 5, 2007
Totnes, South Devon,
AKA
Percy Blakeney
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I can remember driving home from work, listening to classic fm one Saturday morning. They had a top 20 countdown thing. This was at No1, apparently outselling everything else combined. I'd never heard it before, but just had to hear it out, to the extent that I was sat in the drive until it had finished. Totally spellbinding, just had to buy this version that was played...

51KWLbs2PtL._SS500.jpg

Will check that out :^
I remember when it was released in the 80's. We played it in our design studio and everyone was spellbound. Sadly don't have my copy of it any longer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles