What do people use to play music files on a MAC?

Membership Upgrades

peter312

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2005
Cheshire, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a MAC in my office which is connected to an amplifier via a Ifi Zen Dac. Whilst I normally save my music files in FLAC format, I have made Apple Lossless copies for the MAC as that’s what it plays.

ideally, I’d like to play my FLAC files (currently on a NAS) on the MAC without the need to keep changing the settings in Audio Midi and, of course, gaplessly. I have previously tried Amarra and Audirvana but have been disappointed when they have had odd and numerous issues. Is there a FLAC audio player that just works flawlessly on a MAC? I don’t mind paying a reasonable amount for reliable software.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Many thanks

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HQPlayer plays FLAC and works flawlessly, and is to my ears the best-sounding music player for Mac.

But the GUI is a bit simplistic so I just drag-drop from iTunes.

PYuNAhj.png

Reactions: peter312

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use JRiver. A bit of learning curve but good for ripping, tagging, organising and playing and can be set up for individual needs. It is particularly good when used in conjunction with JRemote on a tablet.

Reactions: peter312

peter312

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2005
Cheshire, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can convert your library to ALAC and get BitPerfect, an add-on for iTunes which solves your issues and costs or used to cost £10
I had completely forgotten that I already purchased BitPerfect a few years ago. I’ve installed it and as you say, it does automatically control the sample and bit rates. Thanks, Ric.

At some point, I’ll have a look at J River as I would like to play the FLAC files on my NAS. Thanks, Malcolm.

Alternatively, I could check whether the rest of my stuff can cope with Apple Lossless and maybe convert all my FLAC files.

• Upvote
Reactions: tuga