What do you call these plugs, and are there USB-C cables that use them?

therealolis

Just Oli
Wammer Plus
Nov 1, 2021
Dumfries&Galloway
AKA
Oli
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is a plug on one end of a linear power supply cable - I believe these are quite common:

IMG_1403_jpg.jpg

I'm trying to find a cable that has this connector on one end and a USB-C on the other end - to hook up a Raspberry Pi 4. For some reason I'm not having any luck, and part of the problem is that I don't know if this two-pin connector has a name. The only ones I've found so far are advertised by Chinese sellers on eBay, but not with USB connectors - and they simply call them "two pin cable for linear power supply", which doesn't really help the search engines.

Any clue where I'd f ind a cable like that, or what the correct search term should be?

If this doesn't go anywhere I might rig my own and bypass the USB connector, but ... alternatively, is there a "barrel to USB-C" converter? So many questions, so little time :)

killie99

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 12, 2011
Kilmarnock
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They’re called aviation plugs and come in a variety of sizes. Buy a usb c cable and one of these plugs, looks like a gx12, and make it yourself. Chop the cable to the size you need and solder the red and black wires to the plug.

Make sure you get the red and black the correct way!

Last edited:

therealolis

Just Oli
Wammer Plus
Nov 1, 2021
Dumfries&Galloway
AKA
Oli
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They’re called aviation plugs and come in a variety of sizes. Buy a usb c cable and one of these plugs, looks like a gx12, and make it yourself. Chop the cable to the size you need and solder the red and black wires to the plug

Excellent, thank you. After a quick search that is certainly the correct connector!

I'm only surprised that I can't find cables ready made with this plug and a USB one (of any type), since it's my impression that at least many types of directly-imported linear power supplies I've seen use these outlets. I assumed that at least of them would come with the connector I'm looking for. Maybe I'm wrong!

I have stumbled upon one other possible solution. There are USB C cables prewired to a barrel connector: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133783012707 - and even converters: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124348364714

I'll give it some thought. Maybe I'll make my own, but the barrel-USB-C connection may be the lazy option.

killie99

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 12, 2011
Kilmarnock
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Beware cheap usb cables on eBay, they invariable have wires of 30awg. I bought a cable which claimed to be a high current cable with 22awg power wires - cut it open and it’s 30awg! Bought another high current cable from juicebitz and it was 22awg cable. Crappy usb power cable on a pi is asking for trouble.

therealolis

Just Oli
Wammer Plus
Nov 1, 2021
Dumfries&Galloway
AKA
Oli
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, thanks... I've had that experience when my cat bit through a few strands of a microphone cable in my car. Tried to repair it and I found that the strands were so thin that it was impossible to fix the cable. Fortunately was able to find a cheap replacement, but it just makes you wonder how far manufacturers will go to save a penny.

I might consider the converters I saw on eBay, but perhaps I'll also find another supplier for something like this, now I know it exists. Since my existing aviation plug cable already has the barrel on the other end, this may just be easy.

therealolis

Just Oli
Wammer Plus
Nov 1, 2021
Dumfries&Galloway
AKA
Oli
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads