What is a bake off?

crimsondonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2008
Bake off = event at someone's house where overweight individuals attempt to slowly kill themselves with cakes and biscuits whilst music plays in the background. Some people even bring their own hifi as a distraction from the eat- fest.

People who bring cables are ritually burnt outside :^

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Bake off = event at someone's house where overweight individuals attempt to slowly kill themselves with cakes and biscuits whilst music plays in the background. Some people even bring their own hifi as a distraction from the eat- fest.People who bring cables are ritually burnt outside :^
:goodone: most accurate description so far.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All cakes sound the same.
Depends entirely on what kind of cake stand they are displayed on :whistle:

- - - Updated - - -

Does this sweeping generalisation include cattle cake?
That is udderly ridiculous :run:

- - - Updated - - -

People who bring cables are ritually burnt outside :^
Many of the cakes are burnt outside as well :cafe:

karlinamillion

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2007
Londinium
AKA
Karl
They are called bake offs because of the American company Pillsbury who made dough. To promote their product they started a competition in 1947 to highlight innovative ways to use the product. This became known as a 'bake off' and is still held today with the winner winning a million dollars.The term came to be used for any competition where you started with the same or similar products (in our case turntables, amplifiers and speakers) and in different combinations achieved totally different results :geek:
There is more than just the name they have in common, at both you get to meet an enormously fat man with appalling taste in carpets

1450262_597746263595415_1106505129_n.jpg

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Serge wouldn't eat cake, way too subjective.
Don't be too sure!

I do like a nice piece of carrot cake and cheesecake and St Honoré and the French religeuse are rather nice. Oh, and not forgetting a kugelhopf, and.....

They not only taste different, but measurably so.

Pass the cream......

S

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't be too sure! I do like a nice piece of carrot cake and cheesecake and St Honoré and the French religeuse are rather nice. Oh, and not forgetting a kugelhopf, and.....

Pass the cream......

S
You'd fit right in Serge. While we might not all be audio measurebaters, we certainly do in depth technical reviews on cake. :D Double and triple tests even. :^

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Don't be too sure! I do like a nice piece of carrot cake and cheesecake and St Honoré and the French religeuse are rather nice. Oh, and not forgetting a kugelhopf, and.....

Pass the cream......

S
:nup:

A Tesco Value sponge cake is perfectly adequate.....

:p

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:nup: A Tesco Value sponge cake is perfectly adequate.....

:p
I wouldn't condemn it sight unseen (or untasted), but I doubt it would be adequate when compared with the cakes I like, as outlined above. It does rather depend on the specification. If based solely on number of calories, so much fat and carbohydrate perhaps, but there's more to cake than numbers.

Unlike HiFi.........

:sofa:

S

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
I wouldn't condemn it sight unseen (or untasted), but I doubt it would be adequate when compared with the cakes I like, as outlined above. It does rather depend on the specification. If based solely on number of calories, so much fat and carbohydrate perhaps, but there's more to cake than numbers.Unlike HiFi.........

S
Taste is a funny thing Serge ;-)

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Plato's lemon seed cake was certainly high end on Saturday, as is mayabaza's ginger cake on any day. Donna wifey cake and jane's fudge cake are reliable performers at every meet.

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I wouldn't condemn it sight unseen (or untasted), but I doubt it would be adequate when compared with the cakes I like, as outlined above. It does rather depend on the specification. If based solely on number of calories, so much fat and carbohydrate perhaps, but there's more to cake than numbers.Unlike HiFi.........

S
I suspect it will have more colouration and a soggier bottom end...... :minikev:

- - - Updated - - -

Plato's lemon seed cake was certainly high end on Saturday, as is mayabaza's ginger cake on any day. Donna wifey cake and jane's fudge cake are reliable performers at every meet.
Don't forget Mickyricky's chocolate overdose cake.

That's like being sucked into a velvet vortex.....

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't forget Mickyricky's chocolate overdose cake.

That's like being sucked into a velvet vortex.....
Nope, they definitely add coloration. I think it's called the hypoglycemic coma affect, but I'm sure professor Serge will put me right. :^

moggy58

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wouldn't condemn it sight unseen (or untasted), but I doubt it would be adequate when compared with the cakes I like, as outlined above. It does rather depend on the specification. If based solely on number of calories, so much fat and carbohydrate perhaps, but there's more to cake than numbers.S
WHAT!!

According to my wife that’s blasphemy.

Baking is all about numbers and measuring specific quantities.

Measurement of the exact ingredient is the only correct way to bake a proper cake.

No ‘bish bash bosh’ throw it all in and guess how long to put it into the oven, everything is specifically measured and calculated...

If it can’t be measured it’s wrong!

Er, Serg, have you met my wife?

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
WHAT!! According to my wife that’s blasphemy.

Baking is all about numbers and measuring specific quantities.

Measurement of the exact ingredient is the only correct way to bake a proper cake.

No ‘bish bash bosh’ throw it all in and guess how long to put it into the oven, everything is specifically measured and calculated...

If it can’t be measured it’s wrong!

Er, Serg, have you met my wife?
Don't think so, but my wife says the same thing. Sounds more like chemistry than cooking.

S.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, they definitely add coloration. I think it's called the hypoglycemic coma affect, but I'm sure professor Serge will put me right. :^
Don't know anything about a hypoglycemic coma, but the idea of being sucked into a velvet vortex rather appeals.

S

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online