What phonostage for up to £500 used or new? Not the 17 year old thread!

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
North Yorkshire
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I excitedly clicked on to the similarly titled thread last week only to discover that it was the resurrection of a seventeen year old discussion.:oops:

Well this time it's real and its current! It looks very much like I will be needing a standalone phonostage very soon so what do you recommend?

I am currently using a half decent MM cartridge whilst my Shelter MC awaits repair. That's been the case for quite a while and is likely to continue for the foreseeable future so MM only will do fine provided that it has the facility to attach a step-up stage at a later date. I mainly listen via streaming or CD and vinyl is a luxory that I dip into about once a week. So something nice but not too expensive.

What are your thoughts people?:)

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Project Phono Box RS sat here that you are more than welcome to evaluate in your system if you wish. I bought it on a bit of a whim as I fancied trying one and to see how it compared to my existing Tube Tech PS, but on balance I still prefer the TT so it will be for sale anyway.

It's a lovely bit of kit, probably as flexible as you are ever going to find in a phono stage (other than the newer RS2) with a huge range of adjustments for MC loading, MM capacitance, switchable EQ curves, and both unbalanced an balanced inputs and outputs. There's also the option of a better external PSU to replace the standard "wall wart", although they are only available second hand now I think.

If you want to give it a try, PM me and we can sort out delivery etc. No pressures either way - and if you did like it, it will be well within your budget :)
IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

Last edited:

AJSki2fly

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2018
East Devon
AKA
Adrian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I used to have a Sonneteer Sedley, a super MM/MC phono amp it is a bit of giant killer IMO.

I am not sure that they are still making them their site says out of stock. You may be able to get a good used one for around £400.

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Vincent52 on the other hand , I see you use LS100 internal phono stage, I'm not convinced if £500 separate phono would offer much of an upgrade

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
North Yorkshire
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You've hit the nail on the head mac!

I bought a lovely SJS Arcadia 1.5 from @Lee M on Sunday so the ModWright will soon be up for sale. I have had it for years and always appreciated its many extras (remote, headphone amp, mc/mm phono stage), but I have lusted after an SJS for quite a while so when I learned that Lee's was going to be up for sale I couldn't resist. The one problem is that the new pre is line only so I really do need a separate phono stage.

I know that I mentioned £500 in the title but having laid out for a new pre a lot less would be very welcome!

Reactions: Lee M

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The iFi audio ZEN Phono Compact gets good reviews, not expensive.

May be worth a try.

Reactions: Vincent52

SiT4

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 7, 2015
There was a similar thread on PFM recently. You don't mention the rest of your system but one suggestion which is well under your budget s/h but punches well above its weight is the Lehmann Black cube SE (the one with the external power supply).
It allows MM and MC and is flexible with loading and gain. But can be had for around £ 350- 400 s/h. New £ 700.
Definitely allows for simple MM's up to fairly decent MC's. So lots of potential life in there.

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
North Yorkshire
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lots to think about here and I will need to track down the PFM thread. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

Sensibly I ought to get on with advertising the Modwright next but to slightly alter the focus of this thread if anyone has anything interesting that they want to move on then I could be interested. The keener the price the better!:sneaky:

Reactions: SiT4

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There was a similar thread on PFM recently. You don't mention the rest of your system but one suggestion which is well under your budget s/h but punches well above its weight is the Lehmann Black cube SE (the one with the external power supply).
It allows MM and MC and is flexible with loading and gain. But can be had for around £ 350- 400 s/h. New £ 700.
Definitely allows for simple MM's up to fairly decent MC's. So lots of potential life in there.
I use the Lehman black cube in my main system .. Well worth the money s/h .
Does exactly what it sez on the tin ..

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
North Yorkshire
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I managed to track down a second hand Arkless 640p Turbo so that will keep me going for now. Thanks for all the suggestions, together with a couple of threads on pfm I managed to get plenty of good ideas.(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarzan and mac72

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles