What proportion of your main system is new vs. "previously cherished"?

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sitting and thinking about my system this morning I realised that very few components remain that I purchased new. CD transport, cartridge and a couple of pairs of interconnects, that's all. The rest is all used - TT, arm, DAC (I'm counting the one I've bought and haven't yet taken possession of), phono, pre/power, speakers, some I/Cs and speaker cable.

Extending that thought back across all the stuff I've ever owned, my initial thoughts were that I've had far more used than new, around 75% used. But when I started writing it all down I realised that the mix was much closer than I thought, which was a surprise, almost 5-50. I've excluded cables from that (my memory isn't that great!) but included headphones. I also surprised myself as I didn't think I was that much of a box-swapper, but I've owned more stuff than I realised!

When I factor in the approximate list price of the kit, the expensive stuff is almost exclusively used.

What's your split?

Reactions: Nopiano and Phil48

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Majority new because bought when I was working and at a moderate price point apart from the turntable. Since retiring bought two pairs of speakers and an amp secondhand. The cassette decks were secondhand because decent new ones didn't exist. If wanting something a bit special then there are good deals to be done secondhand but it comes with a risk.

toprepairman

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2010
Surrey
AKA
Henry
Hardly ever buy anything new.
A Garrard GP35 in the 70's and Technics CD player in the 80's (mainly because used ones were not yet available.
Otherwise everything else is used, and I won't buy anything that could be a pain to fix (don't need any warranties).
There are a few newer products I wouldn't touch, ie anything with an inbuilt computer or display screen.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Other than some cables the rack & cartridges/headshells everything else is pre loved.

Reactions: bigrod and robin

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sitting and thinking about my system this morning I realised that very few components remain that I purchased new. CD transport, cartridge and a couple of pairs of interconnects, that's all.
I bought the CD players new (exxept for a Pioneer PDS505 precision I picked up second hand for £50 (and is in my main system following the laser failure of the Marantz I bought new ten years ago nearly). I bought my Loudspeakers new 20 years ago (there were no second hand ones available). My preference is to buy second hand where possible (although CD players are a worry second hand so the price has to be really really good) as you get a far bigger bang for your buck.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Other than some components for builds, the only thing in the current setup that came brand spanking new is the AT95 in the second turntable.

Reactions: uzzy

Jason P

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2009
Somerset
AKA
Errr...Jason
Everything in my current system is pre-loved apart from my RigB AT540ML. I'm trying hard to remember the last time I bought new - it was a Linn Classik (original) with a pair of Tannoy Revolutions in around 2000. Oh - and a pair of Dali Suite 2.8s that SevenBlokes were punting out cheap, about 10 years ago. Apart from that and the odd cart, nothing new for a long long time.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In my main rig the only things I have that I bought new are my Node 2, (the only thing in my system left from my 1st BO rig in November 16) & 12" OL Enterprise 4, everything else was bought used.
In my 2nd system the % I bought new is much higher: Cambridge C50/A50 pre/power & 0.5m pair of monster ICs (88) Sansuii T500L (89) Sony TC-FX150 (89) & a CCA, with only the speakers, TT, cart and rest of cables bought used.

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In my current set up, the only component the I bought new was the AT33ptg/II. The Meridian 808v6 processor and Meridian DSP5200SE speakers I could only afford as they were both upgraded used items (at least they came with as new warranties), the Gyrodec SE and Techno arm were both used items.

The only new equipment I have bought new was my original LP12 in the early 80's, later a pair Kans to go with it, then a Nytech 252. Everything after that was always used until I moved over to Meridian (2006) when I bought my original DSP5200 speakers from new.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My speakers were bought new, and they are about 85% of the cost of my in-use system.

So 85% new, 15% previously cherished.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nothing new except my DAC board from China, but I made the power supply for it.

The only new stuff I buy is solid state modules to put in valve amps, like filament regs.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As most of the components I buy are expensive (to my mind at least) I now buy new from authorised dealers only as I want proper dealer & manufactured backed warranties, but I always look for a deal. I also prefer to support dealers. If nobody buys new then dealers will disappear and you lot will have no used products to buy:sneaky: All my current kit is new, inc cables. (with the exception of my reserve power amp).

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The tiny diamond on the Sony XL-55Pro is new along with the earth cable for the Sony PS-X9 deck, USB cable, Ethernet cable and a couple of power leads, all the rest previously enjoyed.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As most of the components I buy are expensive (to my mind at least) I now buy new from authorised dealers only as I want proper dealer & manufactured backed warranties, but I always look for a deal. I also prefer to support dealers. If nobody buys new then dealers will disappear and you lot will have no used products to buy:sneaky: All my current kit is new, inc cables. (with the exception of my reserve power amp).
I love people like you!

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Amp was new but discounted, cartridge, streamer, speaker cable all new. The rest used.

Cables made by my own hand and rolled on my virgin :oops: thighs so they sound better.

• Haha
Reactions: Jules_S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online