Wammer
Wammer
Feb 25, 2010
South-east England
AKA
Jatinder
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm using a FirstWatt F5 or a KR Audio Kronzilla amp with Avantgarde Duo Omega speakers - with a pair of Sub231s for "normal bass" and a pair of Sub255s for "low" bass.

(So that's 2x12"/500W RMS plus 2x10"/250W RMS for bass on either side)

--Jatinder

Reactions: newlash09

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm using a FirstWatt F5 or a KR Audio Kronzilla amp with Avantgarde Duo Omega speakers - with a pair of Sub231s for "normal bass" and a pair of Sub255s for "low" bass.

(So that's 2x12"/500W RMS plus 2x10"/250W RMS for bass on either side)

--Jatinder

another Sublime audio 231 user!

I was thinking about getting a Kronzilla amp for my top end myself, as I have a KR P135 preamp, but decided on the Atma-sphere amps instead.

What Kronzillas do you have? Any pics of your setup?

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the OP is firing sideways across the narrow dimension you have to take care with the cornermost speaker as the one thing I'm sure of (following an article by Keith Howard, then editor of HFA) is that the immediate environment of each speaker (in a conventional 2-way) should be the same or similar.
If the OP intends firing across the middle then he has a good chance of a result; down one end? ..could be problems afoot..

BTW, that's an ideal room for Quad electrostatics isn't it..(cat amongst the pigeons remark,
(Firing lengthwats, that is..)
:)

Last edited:

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well... as a past owner (including stacked pairs), I can certainly suggest that ESL57s do tight and controlled bass. However, they don't go very low, or give massive amounts of it. I cartainly agree with Lawrence that impedance curves are important with conventional cones, but ESLs have a curve that's as friendy as a starving shark, yet work extremely well.

The problem with looking at impedance curves is that you need to know the complete behaviour of the amplifier as well, and that's the sort of thing you won't find published. Nevertheless, as a rule of thumb, a relatively flat curve is better for valve amps in general.

Jack has listed a few decent alternatives above. Normally I'd add my favourite Living Voice, but the 'narrow end' bit would mean LVs not working at their best. Audio Note or Snell, however, are ideally suited to that sort of configuration, though I'd avoid the larger ANs, as bass may be too much.

I'm turing this on it's head, I have used Quad 57's since the late 1970's. I now use a pair of One Thing Audio Quad 57's, over the years I have tried all sorts of amps from Quad 303/405, Meridian 101,103 combo to hybrid, valve pre-250 wpc power amp, I have borrowed several valve amps including Quad 2's. At the risk of repetition Peter Walker said "with the right amp they will produce bass" I would add that super tweeters plus the right shape room is also important preferably longer than it is wide + low inductance speaker lead's & speaker stands I use OTA Rupert's.
I read an article on 6 Moons stating that an ASR amp was the best for 57's the Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum 4 x KT120's 100 wpc ran it a close second. I bought off this forum an Atlas Magnum that was not working well with some panel speakers with the Quad 57's brilliant result.

I agree in part with rabski . Over the years I have heard some dire attempts at bass with 57's including stacked Quads. I do not know why so few amps/rooms etc. work correctly with Quad 57's but get it right, I must praise my understanding wife who has furnished the lounge with the Quad's in mind.

I am convinced valves are the way if everything else lines up.

Who's yoru Daddy

Wammer
Aug 3, 2016
Hampshire
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I love the sound of my Acoustic Energy AE5s powered by my Graaf GM100. Tried a number of solid state alternatives and always come back to the Graaf.

calorgas

Wammer
Feb 5, 2019
Somerset
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use Tannoy Lancasters (12" golds) with a 12wpc kel84. Works very well indeed, surprisingly gutsy that little amp. I also use a Croft basic and Quad QSP (140wpc) with the same speakers, as I like swap things about.

lindsayt

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 19, 2009
Huddersfield, , Unit
Deep bass and valve amps doesn't happen imho. I use my MingDa 845s to run my SEAS soft dome midrange drivers in my active setup....using the 845 valves in their sweet spot.

I have used them in the past to run passive speakers .....but deep bass needs big drive units and solid state grunt, which is how I've tailored my activity setup
Try telling that to my EV Patricians when used with my Korneff Clone (2 watt) SET. They'll be too busy testing the structural strength of the plaster ceiling with fractions of a watt to listen to you. And too dumb, because they're only bits of wood, plastic and metal.

For MBDK72, the Patricians are collectors items and tend to be priced accordingly.

I'm very slowly putting together a DIY'd 4 way high efficiency pair of speakers, using various 2nd hand drivers. I'm expecting to pay about £1200 for the 4 pairs of drivers and another £300 ish on the cabinet materials, crossover parts, wires, terminals. How good they will sound remains to be seen. But then with DIY, especially when buying cherry picked drivers, it doesn't take much to come up with something that sounds better than what's stocked by the local hi-fi dealers with their wall to wall slimline ported low efficiency speakers.

paulkebab

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would put my trust and money in Wilmslow HiFi to be honest, I told them what I wanted in terms of frequency response and audible crossover values in a floorstander and they delivered. Any speaker parts you might need are there. Unfortunately IPL has closed, Ivan is a lovely man and a wealth of knowledge that has now gone.

Edit I'm running a Vincent SV237 hybrid so not 100% valve but Wilmslow
Audio speaks.

Reactions: MBDK72

Bonky

Wammer
New Wammer
Nov 30, 2012
2nd-hand Living Voice Avatars R2 here - the maker recommends valve amps with them. Very efficient (92-94dB). I have a WD (World Designs) valve amp with them. Very pleased!

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I notice icon audio are giving away free mfv floorstanders when you buy an integrated or power amp in the ad in hi fi world july 22 (in newsagents now)

MBDK72

Wammer
Jun 23, 2021
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would put my trust and money in Wilmslow HiFi to be honest, I told them what I wanted in terms of frequency response and audible crossover values in a floorstander and they delivered. Any speaker parts you might need are there. Unfortunately IPL has closed, Ivan is a lovely man and a wealth of knowledge that has now gone.

Edit I'm running a Vincent SV237 hybrid so not 100% valve but Wilmslow
Audio speaks.
So what design of speakers should I be looking at Wilmslow Audio that would best complement my Ming da MC34A amp, rated at 38 watts push pull?

THOMO

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 10, 2010
Western Australia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So what design of speakers should I be looking at Wilmslow Audio that would best complement my Ming da MC34A amp, rated at 38 watts push pull?
You need to look at the actual measured impedance curve.If you can't get that then do not buy them.You want something with an impedance that does not dip below around 5 ohms in the bass region.You also want something with decent efficiency although a 38 watt push pull valve amp should suit anything above about 88 db/watt efficiency.Also the simpler the crossover the better.
The Seas A26 kit speaker would be a safe choice.It has almost no crossover.Another good choice would be the JLTI Elsinore kit speaker which has a flat impedance curve.

Reactions: MBDK72

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Since no one has done so yet, I would suggest Quad ESL-63s with the Gradient subwoofers.

One of my most memorable listening experiences to date, driven by a pair of Audio Research monos.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You need to look at the actual measured impedance curve.If you can't get that then do not buy them.You want something with an impedance that does not dip below around 5 ohms in the bass region.You also want something with decent efficiency although a 38 watt push pull valve amp should suit anything above about 88 db/watt efficiency.Also the simpler the crossover the better.
The Seas A26 kit speaker would be a safe choice.It has almost no crossover.Another good choice would be the JLTI Elsinore kit speaker which has a flat impedance curve.
I broadly agree but if a valve amp has 4 ohm taps can we lower the minimum impedance requirement to say 3.5 ohms?

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These :D

1640014463968.jpg

Massive big transmission line speakers, weigh close to 120 kgs each. With the plinths iit is 150kgs. Almost as tall as me at 5'8". Were designed around my personal musical tastes. Built around just 8W of SET 300B amplification. But will easily demolish my walls, if iam not carefull with the volume :D

I absolutely love them :)

( just to get a context of the size. That bass driver at the bottom is a 10 incher )

Last edited:

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No.Valves amps are not optimal with speakers below 4 ohms.They are really happiest with 16 ohms but 8 ohms is O.K.
I thought the transformers were built to make them optimal with 4 ohm loads, is your point that valves are inherently not able to supply the current needed to drive these speakers whether or not the transformers are designed to do so? In which case are 4 ohm taps a bit of a scam to make buyers think they will work ok with modern low impedance speakers?

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you don’t mind the shameless pitch, the nominal impedance of my speakers which I am selling is close to 12 Ohm. They wouldn’t achieve night-club levels but would be easy to drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles