What would I be looking at for a clear improvement on an M-DAC?

bluedroog

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2012
London
My current system comprises of a SBT, Croft 25, M-DAC and Event Opals. In contrast to experience with my former passive set up I have found removing the pre-amp from the chain has little in the way of adverse effect and probably brings the recording a little closer, it sounds a little different in and out but not majorly so. (In my passive set up adding the Croft have a profound positive impact).

So I am currently using the M-DAC direct to the Opals, it isn't bad at all but I can't help think how much improvement could be yield from an upgrade in DAC / Pre?

I've considered the likes of the Benchmark DAC2, Nad M51 in the past (went with the MDAC as it was more budget option to tide me over) but while I'd imagine these will be an improvement would it be obvious and clear? I want something that will be a clear upgrade in this dual function but if it is only subtle would rather wait till I can afford an upgrade which will really tell.

What kind of gear would I be looking at for the Mrs to notice an improvement in sound? I can't really see me spending north of £2k at this stage of life on tech which dates such as DACs, are there any new DAC with quality pre function on the horizon? The whole DAC pre seems to be the obvious expanding market and I want something that is very much aimed to excel in both functions rather than being one or the other with added function as an after thought.

Cheers for any suggestions.

brystonian

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2012
Bedfordshire
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've A/B tested my M-DAC against 5 other DAC's. My hearing might not be the greatest, but they all sound almost exactly the same to me.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
What would I be looking at for a clear improvement on an M-DAC?

A record player

:cafe:

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The source. Try computer audio with digital room correction. You will hear the difference, and IMHO any halfway decent computer will do.

bluedroog

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2012
London
I've A/B tested my M-DAC against 5 other DAC's. My hearing might not be the greatest, but they all sound almost exactly the same to me.
Which five did you try? Were you using them all in variable mode?

- - - Updated - - -

The source. Try computer audio with digital room correction. You will hear the difference, and IMHO any halfway decent computer will do.
I did try Dirac as my room is quite problematic, while it is clearly a powerful tool which will suit many, I find it restrained the overall sound in a way I didn't like. It may be something I explore again in the future though.

- - - Updated - - -

What would I be looking at for a clear improvement on an M-DAC?A record player

:cafe:
It has seriously crossed my mind, I just don't have the budget to build a good record collection or the space but it may be something I look at in the future.

Butuz

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 22, 2010
S.Wales.
AKA
Andy
My 1992 Wadia 15 was a BIG step up from an 8200CDQ (which is roughly an MDAC give or take) and sounds best without a preamp.

G

When I first started tinkering with DACs Audio-T in Reading were kind enough to lend me an M-DAC and a Rega DAC to compare against the rDAC I already had. I really didn't like the M-DAC and actually preferred the rDAC over it. In the end I bought the Rega DAC.

By far the best value DAC I've owned is the M2Tech Young DAC and you should be able to get one secondhand for around £3-400

brystonian

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2012
Bedfordshire
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which five did you try? Were you using them all in variable mode?
They were an Arcam AVR350, Arcam AV9, Bryston SP2, Yamaha RX-V1065 and a ASUS STX. They were all set at a normal listening volume, then I turned the M-DAC up or down to match with a SPL meter, and switched back and forth between them with the amp.

To my admittedly not great ears, they were essentially indistinguishable.

A lot of people can hear clear differences between DAC's though.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The most importamnt element in any hifi system is the speaker/room interaction. You're obviously pleased with that. Thsi relationship will detrmine the sound more than anytthing else.

After that the sepakers need proper driving ~ yours are active so that's sorted for you.

So, if you're after a big change in presentation then you're looking at new speakers/amp. I take it you're just looking to 'improve' (in quotes as this is a subjective asssessment) the system by a change in DAC, not a change in complete sysem? Differences in decent DACS/CD players can be very subtle, but they are there. But they will be perhaps not as big a change as you're seeking? Try a couple out and see if they float your boat.

If I were you I'd be taking a good look at the Bel Canto DAC 2.5 in the classifieds ~ a decent step up from the MDAC, IMO.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did try Dirac as my room is quite problematic, while it is clearly a powerful tool which will suit many, I find it restrained the overall sound in a way I didn't like. It may be something I explore again in the future though.
I found the sae thing first time round. If Dirac has automatic settings then the sound will likely have changed so much that it would be barely recognisable. I went back and worked more gently with the sound and have made IMHO large improvements in my system.Now if I swap it in and out I prefer the adjusted sound mstly because of better bass in my room. No losses anywhere. Good luck!

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The MDAC has a rather 'characteristic' sound in the upper mids and treble - a bit of a zing added which, especially if exacerbated by other slightly bright components, can lead to audible grain. Very good rez and control, overall, though.

It all comes down to synergy - I've recently been going through a few DACs myself.

The MDAC was enjoyable for a while in my main system but the grains started getting to me after a month or so, and bloody irritating they are once they start to intrude. I moved it to a rather smoother lower rez setup in my 2nd system and it has livened up the sound quite nicely!

It comes down to synergy, imo. I think you can spend a lot more and not beat an MDAC if it works well in your system.

Based on a short listen to Event Opals I suspect an MDAC may well be a good match.

Tamlin

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2015
Reading
AKA
Sean
I've got the M-DAC, and am keeping it, paired with the Behringer A500 and ProAcs, as my "unembellished" studio-type sound source.

In the main system, the alternative DACs I use are an AN 2.1 Balanced DAC and a Hugo TT. The Hugo TT brings much more life-like piano and percussion reproduction, and a wider and deeper sound-stage to the party. The Audio Note is lovely on classical, and will make loundness-war victims listenable, e.g. Muse/R H Chilly Peppers, which would make you weep if heard through the other two DACs (even if you liked the sound of either band in the first place).

radamel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2013
Western Europe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Bluedroog

I think you would find a Primare DAC30 quite an improvement SQ wise over the M-DAC.

PS Just saw you also need it to work as a pre-amp so not the best choice for you perhaps.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Speak to Jack at BD Audio and see if a loan of the Audiobyte Black Dragon is in order. I have listened to it back to back with my Metrum Octave and I liked the Black Dragon, particularly with a Touch as the source. It has 127 step variable output levels and a very nice robust remote and should pair well with the Opals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles