When you can't decide if you prefer the original or the cover version

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So it's quite often the case that a cover version of a song is pretty rubbish. Either because the covering artist isn't right for the song, or doesn't bring any new perspective to it, or perhaps it's just one of those songs that you love so much that it feels like sacrilege for anyone other than the original artist to perform it.

On the other hand.... sometimes another artist covers a song you love, and you actually don't know if you prefer it to the original, or if you enjoy them both equally. It could even be the original artist re-working their own material. I have a couple of examples - Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus", covered by Marilyn Manson, who for me does a great job of it and I really enjoy listening to both versions. And Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now", the original on the album "Clouds" and the re-invention on the album of the same name.

What examples do you have where someone does a really good job of covering a song, without ruining your enjoyment of the original?

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I heard Johnny Cash's version of Nine Inch Nails - Hurt on the radio I thought it was a great version.  From what I understand he felt it was the best song written about drug addiction and he seemed to pour a lot of personal experience into the song.
Yes I like Cashs version but I did not know the original.

John Murry’s “Little Coloured Balloons” is also a drug song but not easy listening if you know the background story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Scooter

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
12 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

The Damned - Eloise , it's so similar to Barry Ryan's original I can't make up my mind , both brilliant .

I have got the Barry Ryan original 45 somewhere!

Reactions: Bazzer

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I quite this cover: 

Led Zepp also covered this.

The original was by Blind Willie Johnson around 1927. 

Reactions: Sam Vimes

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just love Cassandra Wilson's version of Witchita Lineman which is so far away from the original but is spell binding and atmospheric . The ultimate hard to choose in this is I Say a Little Prayer for You , Aretha or Dionne quite different but both sublime in their own way .

Worst cover i have ever heard to date is Linda Rondstat who I like but her version of Costello's Alison is justy awful misses the point of the song and tries to make it a sweet ballad instead of a bitter and angst ridden denial of former love .

Scooter

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2018
Yes I like Cashs version but I did not know the original.

John Murry’s “Little Coloured Balloons” is also a drug song but not easy listening if you know the background story.
Glad to see you picked up on that album. John is in such a better place now but the story is so hard. I still rate it as my favourite album of this century.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just love Cassandra Wilson's version of Witchita Lineman which is so far away from the original but is spell binding and atmospheric . The ultimate hard to choose in this is I Say a Little Prayer for You , Aretha or Dionne quite different but both sublime in their own way .

Worst cover i have ever heard to date is Linda Rondstat who I like but her version of Costello's Alison is justy awful misses the point of the song and tries to make it a sweet ballad instead of a bitter and angst ridden denial of former love .
I hear William Shatner takes some beating on worst covers.

Not a huge Rondstadt fan but thought her last album was pretty good.

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hendrix " All along the Watchtower." Ryan Adams " Wonderwall"  . This Mortal Coil " Song to Siren " . All of these in my opinion have made the song their own and preferable to the original . 

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hendrix " All along the Watchtower." Ryan Adams " Wonderwall"  . This Mortal Coil " Song to Siren " . All of these in my opinion have made the song their own and preferable to the original . 
Even Dylan played Hendrix’s version live. It is my top cover of all. 

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hendrix All along the watchtower and other Dylan covers, Johnny B Goode

James Taylor Up on the roof - many of his covers are masterpieces

Joe Cocker  Little help from my friends

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sonny and Cher’s ,, I got you babe 

James Last Version is one of my test tracks when I audition equipment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles