• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

which digital recorder for christmas films?

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a dvd/blu ray player, and an ageing Video recorder which used to clunk away recording films at christmas (which I still have, 15 years later, still working fine).

What's the 'modern' equivalent?

I just want to easily press a button or two and record those xmas movies that are on a 3am!

Budget around £200 ish????

TV is a Panasonic if that helps. Simple advice please!

oh ps, can I then 'burn' the recordings to a disc for later use?

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
You want a Freeview PVR. Sits between the aerial and the TV and records to a hard disk. The Humax ones are excellent, with a very simple and easy-to-use interface.

Millions of times better than fiddly and difficult DVD-recorders.

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Regarding the ps you can store your recordings on the internal hard drive until the disk is full. Copying is a no no due to copyright issues, so most manufacturers make it very hard to do, unless you start diving inside, or accept poor quality through the analogue outputs. I would also agree Humax is a good choice.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Regarding the ps you can store your recordings on the internal hard drive until the disk is full. Copying is a no no due to copyright issues, so most manufacturers make it very hard to do, unless you start diving inside, or accept poor quality through the analogue outputs. I would also agree Humax is a good choice.
The Humax boxes allow you to copy all material to an external hard drive. SD material can be played back directly from the external drive, HD material (for copyright reasons) must be copied back to the internal drive to play.

Good point about the Blu-ray/PVR combo, but I've found this type of device doesn't always have the beautifully clear user interface that Humax stuff does.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a blu ray player, so don't really need ...simple pvr is fine unless the panny means in box disc burning? (legal issues nonwithstanding)

sorry to be thick!

ps. Does this mean my videos are all illegal????

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The Panasonic won't burn discs. You can buy a combo PVR/DVD-R but you can only burn SD (standard definition) films to DVD-R.

In reality a 500 GB PVR holds a LOT of programmes. Anything you decide you want to keep long-term can be copied to USB hard drives or memory sticks.

• Upvote
Reactions: rockmeister

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
+1 (and more) for Humax. I researched this subject to death and beyond..... Humax win every time and get this... If you go onto the Humax uk site, they have B stock of PVRs for a lot less than any high street.

Currys will be more expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx