Who has heard s**t loads of tubes/valves...?

Nothingface

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2021
West Midlands
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I will soon be replacing a pair of JJ E88CC in my ModWright PH9.0X phono stage & wanted to know if anyone could recommend a pair with a big 3D soundstage & extremely detailed...

I was contemplating the Gold Lion...any views on this option?

From what I've read the Siemens will be too smooth.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mullard E88CC with dimpled disc getters. Or Czech Tesla E88CC.

Boysey

Wammer
Jan 28, 2017
Melksham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mullard E88CC with dimpled disc getters. Or Czech Tesla E88CC.
Agreed, I'm now using Mullards after wasting money on Gold Lions (not a bad tube but just a bit dull).

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agreed, I'm now using Mullards after wasting money on Gold Lions (not a bad tube but just a bit dull).

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Gold Lions are not bad for new tubes, currently using them now, but I agree there are better choices. But some are now rare therefore very expensive. 

Mullards produced 1,000s of tubes, they also produced some for other brands such as Philips. 

@RabSki has a shed load of tubes, many quite rare and expensive. A few other members are quite knowledgeable on tubes. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Nothingface

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2021
West Midlands
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the info guys...you've saved me from a wasted purchase. 

Interestingly I was considering Tesla but unsure as I've never used them. I use NOS Telefunken in my integrated so was thinking about doing the same for the ModWright but the prices have really increased. 

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1950s/1950s Siemens Cca, but good luck with finding any. 1950s and early 1960s Mullards are decent, 'normal' Siemens E88CC from the same period. Everything made after the end of the 1960s is not as good. Supposedly some (but definitely not all) of the Russian 6N23P are excellent, but I've never tried them.

Those are the only ones I can remember. However, it's a fair old time since I used any. Mostly I don't use 9-pins any longer.

YMMV and as always with valves, don't expect 'night and day' differences (apart from your Barclaycard balance).

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I once saw shit loads of em ..I remember back in 1965 walking into George Gross’s electrical repair  shop in Pilsley near Tibshelf . He repaired everything and he had a room with shelves stacked floor to ceiling with valves on three walls .

That would be Rabs Nirvana

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I once saw shit loads of em ..I remember back in 1965 walking into George Gross’s electrical repair  shop in Pilsley near Tibshelf . He repaired everything and he had a room with shelves stacked floor to ceiling with valves on three walls .

That would be Rabs Nirvana
That would be Rab's garage 🤣 Except mine are all in boxes, tea chests and other packing cases.

• Haha
Reactions: lostwin

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Came across this for 6DJ8 (ECC88) and I am just quoting others here - as for me I just have a hybrid with 6DJ8 tubes and I have tried a few and buggered if I can tell the difference in my preamp .. latest change was to 7dj8 valves from National Panasonic and they sound fine to my ears (no different to the last ones if truth be told) 

Phillips Miniwatts PCC88 preamp tubes,  these premium quality low noise US Military Spec.valves are made in Holland in the Herleen Factory and although rated at 7.2 volts, when used in standard 6.3 volt applications for any ecc88/e88cc/6922 give great performance with the benefit of a lower noise and longer life. Some claim these tubes are the standard by which other ECC88/6922/6DJ8 types are judged

And from another article I found on the net some years back a guy tested and rated as follows 

6922 = e88cc  And here is the final ranking! The point average across all songs to the right.

Reflektor Holy Grail '75 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields

Siemens Cca Gray Shield '63s

Siemen Cca Gray Shield '65s

Telefunken Ulm E188CC '60s

Reflektor '74 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields

Amperex PW D Getter

Philips Miniwatt SQ E188CC Herleen Halo Getter VR9 '64

Amperex USN-CEP 7308 White '65 VR5

Voskhod '75 6N23P Gray Shield SWGP

Amperex 7308 Green Print '68

Siemens E88CC '60s Gray

Telefunken Ulm E88CC '60s

Reflektor 6N23P '65 Dual Straight Wire Getter

Valvo Herleen E88CC '67 Large Halo Getter

Nevz 6N1P-E '66 

Siemens E88CC '70s Silver

Mullard England CV2492

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've seen that test, but I didn't like the context. Basically, the only way you can form any opinion about the 'sound' of valves is when you're absolutely certain they're running at their ideal operating point. Either way, the circuit always makes more difference then the valve in it.

The last point is the killer, because if valves are run (often deliberately) outside the ideal point, changes and differences may be emphsaized, but all bets are off in terms of consistent results. Experimenting is the best way, and if you buy sensibly, old valves won't lose much value, and may well increase.

Reactions: uzzy

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've seen that test, but I didn't like the context. Basically, the only way you can form any opinion about the 'sound' of valves is when you're absolutely certain they're running at their ideal operating point. Either way, the circuit always makes more difference then the valve in it.

The last point is the killer, because if valves are run (often deliberately) outside the ideal point, changes and differences may be emphsaized, but all bets are off in terms of consistent results. Experimenting is the best way, and if you buy sensibly, old valves won't lose much value, and may well increase.
Nice one Rabski  .. as I said I was quoting from others and it might be of help but having the input of the experts is the key.  My experience is very limited as mine is a hybrid and it does not seem to make a difference which make I have put in it to date.   I went for the 7DJ8 this time as I am hoping they will last much longer (as I leave the thing on standby when not in use - perhaps I ought to start turning it off)

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@nothingface
Tesla E88CC are gold pin frame grid valves, selected from ECC88 production. They are few and far between, now people put gold on ordinary ECC88 tubes and sell for more. But absolutely nothing wrong with the standard variant IMO. Solid reliable and built with Telefunken tech, there's little to worry about. The Siemens CCA stuff is excellent but essentially unobtainable, as is Telefunken and now Tungsram CCA selections. It's fetishism at the end of the day, pay what you can afford, if you will, and don't sweat what you don't have.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Upvote
Reactions: rabski

toprepairman

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2010
Surrey
AKA
Henry
Unless they're tired or faulty then they all sound the same to me, but then I don't buy into Foo nonsense. I make sure all valves are operating correctly but have seen circuits where they don't. Chinese tend to be the least reliable often going noisy.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unless they're tired or faulty then they all sound the same to me, but then I don't buy into Foo nonsense. I make sure all valves are operating correctly but have seen circuits where they don't. Chinese tend to be the least reliable often going noisy.
I would tend to say more that there are differences, but certainly that they are small differences. I don't do 'night and day', because it's usually people trying to pretend their hearing is better than other people's, or more often trying to justify the enormous amount they've spent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online