Who needs a DAC if your speakers take a digital input?

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So perhaps don’t feed a fancy DAC signal to a digital dsp Speaker? 

If you connect direct from streamer - you  won’t  have have headphone output or ability to use other inputs like TV, turntable. 

also without a hardware volume control, volume control via the streamer’s app needs to be foolproof lest one slip of the finger makes the speakers amps & drives get hit by full scale signal. 

also I wonder how a speaker DAC receiving aes signal deals with low level signal? 

I have a device with a digital output “fader” control and it works fine but I wonder if the digital nerds have something to say about that sort of volume control? Would quality degrade at 1/4 volume? 

For safety sake you could of course set a max level on the speakers so a full scale input signal was “living room disco” level (just short of cone & tweeter blow outs) that way in the case of accidental full scale error you would have time to dive for the speakers mains off switches. 

Some of those active speakers only have a single input so a DAC with digital output will work as a source selector if this is of any use to you.

If I'm not mistaken the RME ADI2 DAC can control the volume of the digital ouput, has a very good heaphone amplifier, several digital inputs and EQ capabilities for room correction.

Tony_J

Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
Bunessan
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some of those active speakers only have a single input so a DAC with digital output will work as a source selector if this is of any use to you.

If I'm not mistaken the RME ADI2 DAC can control the volume of the digital ouput, has a very good heaphone amplifier, several digital inputs and EQ capabilities for room correction.
Just a quick scan of the spec and I see no digital outputs...but then, it's a DAC... :dunno:

• Haha
Reactions: uzzy and tuga

ProJules

Wammer
Nov 22, 2020
Archway, London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have 2 DACs now (had em for years) and a 3rd coming. 

And more stuff too  

a glorious Hifi gear traffic jam  

I will test the hell out of everything then sell off / return the surplus. 

Last edited by a moderator:

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a quick scan of the spec and I see no digital outputs...but then, it's a DAC... :dunno:
Wrong RME. :clout:

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html

ADI-2-ProFSr-C.png

ProJules

Wammer
Nov 22, 2020
Archway, London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see some HEDD type 20 mk2’s and a sub in my future. I would expect to feed them 96k AES digital signal but we will see....

Last edited by a moderator:

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What’s the wacky aes 3 socket type called? Not seen one before? Wonder if it carries up to 192k 

Digital Outputs

AES/EBU

• 1 x XLR, transformer-balanced, galvanically isolated, according to AES3-1992
  • Output level 2.7 Vpp
  • Format Professional according to AES3-1992 Amendment 4
  • Single Wire mode, sample rate 28 kHz up to 200 kHz

Reactions: ProJules

DomT

It’s all about the music
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Nottingham
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Where from out of interest? I'll be interested in getting a home demo of speakers along these lines at some point...
Proaudio dealers like KMR, Juno, GAK, Gear4music etc etc  google is your friend  

• Upvote
Reactions: tuga

DomT

It’s all about the music
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Nottingham
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a connection high up in the supply chain.

I would also recommend KMR. Great people. 
KMR are probably the best high end dealer in the UK. They actually give advice rather than shifting boxes.

Reactions: MartinC