Linn Owners

Why no more Komris?

Sierra

New Wammer
Aug 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, there aren't any official Dynamik upgrades for the Komris. Although I've heard a rumour, that the inside amps use the same power supply as the 5125, for which there was a Dynamik upgrade...
(edited, as I was a dumb dumb and should've double checked my invoice before posting that a Dynamik upgrade was available for the Komris, there is no upgrade available, only a direct replacement PSU for repairs, sorry all!)
Hey all,

New to this forum, but thought I'd chip in with some information, about the Komris amp. modules.

We own a pair of Komris, both of which recently had to have their amp. module PSUs replaced.

Not a pleasant sight, seeing the magic smoke coming out of a Komri!
(A capacitor on the original PSU board in one Komri failed, spewing out a lot of smoke, and it damaged other components on the PSU board).

Our dealer advised us, that the best way to get them fixed, was to send both modules back to Linn for repair (as a matched pair).

The repair cost us around £800 in total, at the time (April 2022).

The part number of the original PSUs, in our Komris, was "PCAS254/L2R4".

The (original, non-Dynamik) Classik Movie and AV5125 both have a PSU board with a similar part number, but slightly different components, if I remember rightly.

Each Komri's amp. module has two PSU boards daisy-chained together, with a standard kettle lead going to the rear panel of the Komri, and some connections going to each bass drive unit.
There's 3 fuses in each Komri, the one accessible at the rear panel and two inside the amp. module itself, one for each PSU.

Linn installed two new PSUs in each module, both with part number "PCAS754/L4R1".
From the stickers on the new boards, they were manufactured around February 2022.

As part of this repair, Linn cut the cables going to the voltage selector switch, on both of our Komris. I didn't notice any other obvious modifications that Linn did to our modules.

Our dealer said that we were lucky, that the audio board in the amp. module didn't get damaged, or it would, more than likely, have been game over for the module.

Linn don't seem to make new audio boards for the Komris, whether they would provide schematics if someone's audio boards were damaged (or if anybody has schematics for the audio boards), I don't know.

For the curious, I've attached some photos of one module, before we sent it away for the repair, and when we were reinstalling it, after we received the repaired modules back from our dealer.

It was fiddly for us to reassemble the modules, double (and triple) check all the connections, and re-do the cable ties, but the end result of a properly functioning Komri, was well worth it!

I hope that this information helps someone here.

Attachments

• KomriBox_PackingLabel.jpg
    KomriBox_PackingLabel.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • KomriBox_Label.jpg
    KomriBox_Label.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • KomriOriginal_PackingMaterial.jpg
    KomriOriginal_PackingMaterial.jpg
    887.2 KB · Views: 36
  • KomriOriginal_PSULower.jpg
    KomriOriginal_PSULower.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • KomriOriginal_PSUUpper.jpg
    KomriOriginal_PSUUpper.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • KomriRepaired_Reassembled.jpg
    KomriRepaired_Reassembled.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 14
  • KomriRepaired_BeingReassembled.jpg
    KomriRepaired_BeingReassembled.jpg
    754 KB · Views: 16
  • KomriRepaired_VoltageSelectorMod.jpg
    KomriRepaired_VoltageSelectorMod.jpg
    974.5 KB · Views: 15
  • KomriRepaired_PSUSpecifications.jpg
    KomriRepaired_PSUSpecifications.jpg
    659.4 KB · Views: 15
  • KomriRepaired_PSUManufacturingDate.jpg
    KomriRepaired_PSUManufacturingDate.jpg
    821.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Fazioli

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2010
At home
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see anything in either the images or text to indicate the replacement PSU is powered by Dynamik technology, This breakdown in the bass amp modules is the most common casualty over time with Komris. With mine Linn replaced the PSU and the audio boards in both speakers for their standard repair price. If the PSU was Dynamik powered there would surely be a sticker denoting this.

Sierra

New Wammer
Aug 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see anything in either the images or text to indicate the replacement PSU is powered by Dynamik technology, This breakdown in the bass amp modules is the most common casualty over time with Komris. With mine Linn replaced the PSU and the audio boards in both speakers for their standard repair price. If the PSU was Dynamik powered there would surely be a sticker denoting this.
Ah, yes, you're right, that's my bad.

I got mixed up, I could've sworn that our dealer told us it was a Dynamik upgrade, but after digging out the invoices, it seems that it was indeed a standard repair.
Maybe I was thinking of upgrades we are talking about doing to other parts of the Komri setup.

I should've double checked before I posted that, sorry for the false hope everybody, I feel a bit silly now. D:
Hopefully the photos and rest of the information still is of use to someone here.

It's a shame that they don't do a Dynamik upgrade for the Komris, as they did one for the AV5125.

On that note... has anybody had a Dynamik upgrade done on the Klimax 500 Solos, is it worth while?

Curious what they have in store for their 50th anniversary too...

Reactions: Chris 1970

Sierra

New Wammer
Aug 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bit of a mute question as I don't think this upgrade is available any more - certainly isn't for Twin as I asked Linn the question.
Ah, we were advised last Monday by our dealer, that the Solos can still have a Dynamik upgrade done on them, but that "some older Solos can't be upgraded, while newer ones can".
We'd need to send them the serial numbers of the Solos, to find out whether the upgrade is possible.

They didn't elaborate as to why this is the case, unfortunately.

What's the rough age of your Twins, entdgc?

Fazioli

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2010
At home
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some older Solos needed re-boring internally to make sufficient space for a Dynamik PS. In the early days of the upgrade this was available at a price but was expensive and has been discontinued as far as I know. Newer Solos can accept the Dyn.PS without further amendment. Of the 8 Solos I used to own, only the oldest pair needed re-boring. The remainder dating from around 2007 onwards didn't need this extra work.

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah, we were advised last Monday by our dealer, that the Solos can still have a Dynamik upgrade done on them, but that "some older Solos can't be upgraded, while newer ones can".
We'd need to send them the serial numbers of the Solos, to find out whether the upgrade is possible.
As others have said some need case machining work done to allow the Dynamic to fit. Interesting that Solos may still be upgraded - I may have to reinvestigate upgrade to my Twin with Linn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcin375