Why no more Komris?

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The 328A was a studio monitor version of the Komri, designed to sit on stands or built into the studio for near field listening, but didn't sell.
328A has the 3K array and looks more like a 225 with amps.

318A also has the 3K array and looks like an active adaptation of 212.

Unless there was an internal 328A designated Komri product? Or the link is the 4K array adapted to become the 3K array?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chris 1970

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi Simon,

Very interesting! What were the differences between the 328A and the public version?

On the manual of the Komris, it is said that it was recommended to fixe them directly on the ground (if the ground could accept it!) to have the best bass control possible.
It looks very different.  Unless there was another 328A that never saw light of day. Is the 3K array in the 328A the first use of 3K and is therefore a cut down implementation of the axe-head part of the Komri and that's the link?

COD+2015+(2+of+7).jpg

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/technology-spotlight-linn-professional-318a-328a-monitors-365540

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

fschmeis

New Wammer
Oct 29, 2018
Germany, near FFM
AKA
Frank
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe @fschmeis can join this conversation. All my other Linn Komri buddies are not active forum members.
sure: my ser numbers are (650)195 and (650)196, built by Elliot McGill (as GORDON WOOD was already very busy 😉)

A LINN dealer near Mainz hat also Komris in his private rooms, also read somewhere that Tiefenbrunn (don't remember whether it was Ivor or Gilad) runs Komris in his house ...

What I heard was that they were built to achieve the best which was possible at this point in time, less priority were economic aspects, just look at the passive crossover (and keep in mind: the bass drivers are active servo units not using the passive crossoers at all):

Passive_midres.JPG

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sure: my ser numbers are (650)195 and (650)196, built by Elliot McGill (as GORDON WOOD was already very busy 😉)

A LINN dealer near Mainz hat also Komris in his private rooms, also read somewhere that Tiefenbrunn (don't remember whether it was Ivor or Gilad) runs Komris in his house ...

What I heard was that they were built to achieve the best which was possible at this point in time, less priority were economic aspects, just look at the passive crossover (and keep in mind: the bass drivers are active servo units not using the passive crossoers at all):

View attachment 102201
Thank for the pencil to figure the size 😀 All is huge on this card!

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I don't remember if Linn started this with the 6 digit serial numbers or with the 7 digit ones.  But at least with the 7 digit numbers it is the number of almost everything they make.  You might get an LP12 with one number, an Akurate DSM with the next one and a Trampolin 2 with the next one.  That even extends to the upgrade kits.  The exceptions are cartridges and arms which have fewer digits that do relate to how many are made (hard to scribe seven numbers on the side of a Kandid).  My Ekstatik is 054.  So having the last serial numbers for the Komri will not tell you how many were made.

• Upvote

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't remember if Linn started this with the 6 digit serial numbers or with the 7 digit ones.  But at least with the 7 digit numbers it is the number of almost everything they make.  You might get an LP12 with one number, an Akurate DSM with the next one and a Trampolin 2 with the next one.  That even extends to the upgrade kits.  The exceptions are cartridges and arms which have fewer digits that do relate to how many are made (hard to scribe seven numbers on the side of a Kandid).  My Ekstatik is 054.  So having the last serial numbers for the Komri will not tell you how many were made.
Thank you Thomas!

But you could have said that earlier……… 😀

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The Komri didn't sell well because it looks like a wooden filing cabinet with a weird handle and big vents on it.  (It doesn't matter how Bauhaus leaning you are these are no Dieter Rams designs and can be most kindly described as homely, IMHO.) :minikev:   Also because you weren't going to get it to sound really good without the best equipment driving it and really careful setup.  All three of these things tend to rule it out for most wealthy Hi-Fi buyers and audiophiles.  That leaves a fairly small market of Linn loyalist customers with money, space, time and a willingness to accept the looks.  

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Komri didn't sell well because it looks like a wooden filing cabinet with a weird handle and big vents on it.  (It doesn't matter how Bauhaus leaning you are these are no Dieter Rams designs and can be most kindly described as homely, IMHO.) :minikev:   Also because you weren't going to get it to sound really good without the best equipment driving it and really careful setup.  All three of these things tend to rule it out for most wealthy Hi-Fi buyers and audiophiles.  That leaves a fairly small market of Linn loyalist customers with money, space, time and a willingness to accept the looks.  
I'm with you on this 3 parts explanation.

Just to tease you – because it's not so kind to tell us the truth about beauty – let me fix that:
Lejonklou can't do a better speaker than the Komris 😇

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm with you on this 3 parts explanation.

Just to tease you – because it's not so kind to tell us the truth about beauty – let me fix that:
Lejonklou can't do a better speaker than the Komris 😇
Not at the present... ;)

But then apparently neither can Linn.😈

• Haha