Why no more Komris?

wildwildWes

SciLinntologist
Wammer
Jul 24, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn says that they only make something new if it's better.  But the Komris are no longer being made.  Are 350s actually better than Komris?  Why would they stop making Komris?  

Reactions: Chris 1970

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn says that they only make something new if it's better
Linn discontinued the Komri whilst the Klimax 350 was also in production. The Klimax 350 was a significant improvement over its predecessor, the Artikulate 350.

Added - add continued to improve with the addition of Dynamik, Exakt, Katalyst and now Organik.

Are 350s actually better than Komris?
Anyone with Komris is clearly going to say no.

Why would they stop making Komris?
I’ve no insider knowledge, but would hazard a guess at lack of key parts (it was rumoured that bass units were in short supply) and poor sales.

I’ll put the popcorn on…

’troll

Last edited by a moderator:

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Linn says that they only make something new if it's better.  But the Komris are no longer being made.  Are 350s actually better than Komris?  Why would they stop making Komris?  
They didn't make anything better. Yet. So, strictly speaking, they didn't break this approach.

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When they were released, I was told that the Komris were the big project of the sound engineer Philip Hobbs (the great man behind Linn’s recordings).
One year after my purchase, I had the chance – with others – to talk with him at the store, and later in a restaurant in Paris.

This is a big part — for me — of what these speakers are: big studio monitors.

When you see them like that, it’s easy to understand that they were not like the typical high end speakers around: being very revealing meens lot of records and sources will be unconfortable to listen… When records and source are great, you will get all what’s on it.

In a way, I feel the Komris were very demanding. You had to make this deal with them, and ignore the beautiful ones…

I think most of people interested in high end speakers need (and that's fine):
– impressive looking,
– great sound any time.

Komris were not there for that majority of customers… so less sales in the end, in a little market.

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Chris 1970is right. Komris we’re designed as studio monitors and not for the mass. Nevertheless Linn sold more than 400 pairs of Komris worldwide.

When I saw Komris for the first time, I said that I will never buy such a huge and ugly speaker.

Now I have a total different view: In my room they aren’t huge and I like the clear body of the Komris („Bauhaus“-style).

And from my point of view they sound great at most of the time. And: they are easier to drive than the 242.

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Chris 1970is right. Komris we’re designed as studio monitors and not for the mass. Nevertheless Linn sold more than 400 pairs of Komris worldwide.

When I saw Komris for the first time, I said that Iwill never buy such a huge and ugly speaker.

Now I have a total different few: In my room they aren’t huge and I like the clear body of the Komris („Bauhaus“-style).

And from my point of view they sound great at most of the time. And: they are easier to drive than the 242.
Hi Ben,

400 pairs is huge. I didn't know it was so much.

Again, I think these speakers really need the best source to sing most of time as you say. The CD12 was not up there… my bad…

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But most of the dealers sold the Komris to customer because they are not on the pricelist. And they are to expensive for only standing in the cellar.
That’s what I meant Ben, thank you. Many of those sold were discounted and not at full price. 

’troll

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That’s what I meant Ben, thank you. Many of those sold were discounted and not at full price. 

’troll
Yes, because not simple speakers to live with…
Some made the jump – when discounted – to compensate that, in a way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles