Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2010
Nottingham
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can I ask you what is involved in converting the Komris to active? I have found a second hand pair of Komri Tuneboxes for sale and I telephoned Linn to ask them how easy it was to convert the speakers and they told me that the passive crossovers inside the speakers need to be removed and replaced with a bypassing circuit that is no longer available from Linn.

I'm guessing that these circuits to convert the speakers to active will be almost impossible to find.
That's right, it isn't only the tune boxes, but the Komri's lower rear panel which contained the passive crossover is replaced (I still have my passive x-overs from the upgrade).

• Upvote
Reactions: Chris 1970

JustinR

New Wammer
Nov 9, 2020
That's right, it isn't only the tune boxes, but the Komri's lower rear panel which contained the passive crossover is replaced (I still have my passive x-overs from the upgrade).
These Tuneboxes have come from someone who upgraded his Komris with Exaktboxes - presumably the panel with the "dummy board" in it is retained with this upgrade.

I think it's going to be very difficult to locate these items..... Luckily my speakers sound absolutely brilliant as they are.

Peter_P

Music makes the world a better place.
Wammer
Nov 12, 2018
Bielefeld, Germany
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It is also possible to activate the Komris without the bypass circuits.

You have to unscrew the passive crossover from the metal plate on the back. And disconnect the plug connections to the loudspeakers. Then you can remove the crossover. Since the WBT binding posts are firmly connected to the board, you have to make a new connection panel of about 20 x 12 cm and leave the xlr socket for the lower bass and the new speaker sockets in there and solder (or screw) the cables to fit.

Komri Anschlussfeld.jpg

JustinR

New Wammer
Nov 9, 2020
It is also possible to activate the Komris without the bypass circuits.

You have to unscrew the passive crossover from the metal plate on the back. And disconnect the plug connections to the loudspeakers. Then you can remove the crossover. Since the WBT binding posts are firmly connected to the board, you have to make a new connection panel of about 20 x 12 cm and leave the xlr socket for the lower bass and the new speaker sockets in there and solder (or screw) the cables to fit.

Komri Anschlussfeld.jpg
That's really impressive - I don't suppose you have any pictures of what it looks like inside?

Are those the internal plug connections from the loudspeakers that your cables are plugged into directly, or is there some sort of interconnect behind there?

I'm not really an electronics technician - I don't suppose you want to knock up a pair and sell them to me?? :)

Fazioli

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2010
Nottingham
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a conversation with Gilad at a dinner with the Linn dealers during the High End in Munich. On the subject of further development of the Linn loudspeakers, he said that they had made good progress - of course he did not reveal details.

The good news for Komri owners, he said, is that based on the new findings, improvements for the Komris are also possible (without saying in detail what these consist of - a bit of excitement must remain) and that these will then be offered as upgrades in the future. He was not yet able to give a time limit.

Next year is Linn's 50th birthday. Let's be surprised.
According to initial considerations, the birthday party in Glasgow will take place in spring.
I guess there's no point in speculating what possible upgrade Linn might be developing, however when did this ever stop anyone? It must be hardware based so which area(s) do Komri users think might allow room for development?
  • 4k array?
  • New drive units?
  • bass amplifiers?
  • crossovers?
  • Integral amplifiers like the 350?
  • Isolation?
  • something else...

• Upvote

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I guess there's no point in speculating what possible upgrade Linn might be developing, however when did this ever stop anyone? It must be hardware based so which area(s) do Komri users think might allow room for development?
  • 4k array?
  • New drive units?
  • bass amplifiers?
  • crossovers?
  • Integral amplifiers like the 350?
  • Isolation?
  • something else...
To complete your guesses :)

1) With the technology Linn has already developed on all its loudspeakers:
• Dynamik bass in an isolated module.
But why not already done?

2) New technology:
• new metal array (super tweeter, tweeter and medium) for the 4K, that could be downsized in all the range, as an upgrade?

3) New technology:
•new type of amplifier (but this should come after a new Klimax Solo then a new Twin, as a bass amplifier is very very specific… so not tomorrow)
This should come in an isolated module of course. A lot of work, again…

4) I don't see them telling the actual owners to sell their amplifiers to get a full integrated amplifier module, for a 20 years loudspeaker.

My first guess goes like you to a new 4K… !

Last edited:
Reactions: Fazioli

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Continuing the speculation (which is not healthy)... If they brings upgrades of this nature to Komri could they not make similar upgrades to the 3K array too?
Yes, for me, the best reason for the RD department is to work on the all range of 4K, 3K and 2K arrays.

And the Komri version would be a side part of it.

That said, if Linn makes an upgrade to the Komri – whatever it is – shouldn't they provide an extended warranty for the all speaker? A speaker that is discontinued in the first place?

Reactions: loogiefi

Sound Hound

Wammer
Jan 17, 2019
AKA
Not Actually Canine
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Komris never die. 😇
There are are currently a piano black pair on eBay (overpriced as always by this particular seller) which are offered as Dynamiked. As a Komri owner myself, I was a little surprised to read that there was actually a Dynamik upgrade available. Without me contacting Linn, which would be simple enough for me to do, could someone confirm that Dynamik PSU's for Komris actually exist?

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are are currently a piano black pair on eBay (overpriced as always by this particular seller) which are offered as Dynamiked. As a Komri owner myself, I was a little surprised to read that there was actually a Dynamik upgrade available. Without me contacting Linn, which would be simple enough for me to do, could someone confirm that Dynamik PSU's for Komris actually exist?

At the time of the release of the Komris, it was said that there was 2 Solos in each speaker.

But — from what I heard — no mention ever about a Dynamik ugrade of these internal Solos…

Not a bad idea thought 😊

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At the time of the release of the Komris, it was said that there was 2 Solos in each speaker.

But — from what I heard — no mention ever about a Dynamik ugrade of these internal Solos…

Not a bad idea thought 😊
The Komri review in Stereophile - https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/555/index.html

suggests that the bass amplifiers are 2 x 1500w and the response from Brian Morris, when he was still with Linn, didn’t correct this. Which suggests they are not “simply” Solos.

‘troll

• Upvote

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You're right of course!
I was more talking about the same technology as the Solos at that time (vs. Chakra that didn't exist).

• Thanks
Reactions: Moomintroll

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Without me contacting Linn, which would be simple enough for me to do, could someone confirm that Dynamik PSU's for Komris actually exist?
No, there aren't any official Dynamik upgrades for the Komris. Although I've heard a rumour, that the inside amps use the same power supply as the 5125, for which there was a Dynamik upgrade...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online