Why so few bake-offs?

JimR

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2011
South Shropshire
AKA
Jim R
We all know that the Wam is great. Scalford is unrivalled. There is advice on the forum for anyone who wants it. There are bargains to be had in the classifieds.

But why so few bake-offs?

I reckon that the chance to meet like minded folks and listen to music on all kinds of weird and wonderful kit is invaluable in helping you learn what you like and what you don't. For years the only rig I ever heard was my own. So I didn't know any better.

I was like a 'real ale connoisseur' who only ever drinks in his local.

So how do we get more bake-offs going?

Come on guys. Make a New Year's resolution. Have a bake-off!

Jim.

B

BD Audio

Throw one at yours Jim. Can I come please? I like Westminsters. :)

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A lot goes on behind the scenes Jim - there are inner circles you know;-)

More seriously as Jack said throw one yourself. I'll throw one myself (music only) in the Spring.

JimR

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2011
South Shropshire
AKA
Jim R
Throw one at yours Jim. Can I come please? I like Westminsters. :)
I almost came to one of yours a couple of years ago, when I first joined the Wam. I was all set, then had to pull out at the last minute, can't remember the details. Probably some family bother.

Thanks again for the offer of hospitatlity!

Jim

JimR

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2011
South Shropshire
AKA
Jim R
A lot goes on behind the scenes Jim - there are inner circles you know;-) More seriously as Jack said throw one yourself. I'll throw one myself (music only) in the Spring.
I threw two last year!

What's the sercret password for the inner circle?

Jim.

Samantha

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2007
South Lincolnshire
AKA
Samantha
Jim, are you checking the bake off section of the Wam? There does appear to be lots happening.

As for the unpublised ones, these tend to be held short notice and often invites go to recipricate those who have previously held a bake you attended, or to people you just know who are local.

If you host a bake, and attend a few, you will find you get other invites too.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The secret password is .....Kondo.....

:sofa:

RSand

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2012
Liverpool
AKA
Rob
There are a few private ones that go on behind the scenes, more like having a few mates round than an open door bake off. I'll be hosting one in the next few weeks just need to find out when the neighbours are away for the day, I'll cap it at 10 people though due to available space

strocky

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2011
Lanarkshire
theleagueofgentlemen1.jpg

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am not sure that 'private' is quite right, that implies that it is in some way selective.

What I have found happens is I either hold a planned bake off where I would advertise it in the Bake Off section or it isn't really planned.

Sometimes I get a PM from someone saying that they are in the area on a certain date and could they pop round, this either comes from a discussion on a thread or someone responding to the 'Wammers Welcome' thread.

They then tell someone they are coming, or I do and they come too, before I know it I have 4-5 people coming which is about all I can accommodate in my flat.

If someone talks about it afterward it can seem that some sort of private event took place when it didn't really, it just wasn't advertised and sort of happened.

Use the 'Wammers Welcome' thread, people do mean it otherwise they wouldn't put themselves forward, before you know it you will be at a 'Private' bake off!

G

I hope to hold a bake off at some point, though I'll have to wait until our (very nice) neighbours are away on there hols and the family can be entertained elsewhere!

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Secret password is Pizza. :^

I have more than a few music nights here. Nothing fancy, and usually a mid week eve. It usually works out that someone who is coming anyway tells somebody else and they then tell somebody else etc etc.

Any of my regular visitors, or friends as I've come to know them, don't need an invite. They just tell me they're coming and it gets sorted. My circumstances mean that I'm in on a night anyway, and my neighbour is an absolute superstar!

Drop me a line if you are up my way, Jim.

DJAlex

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 16, 2013
Wigan/Warrington
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You know what I quite fancy a bake off I'm looking for a hifi update and would like to make some new hifi loving friends this yr.

I'll post something when I'm back on my feet.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You're in the right part of the county mate. More than a few of us around your area. Open invitation here if you find yourself over the other side of the hills. :^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles