• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Wide and shallow or long and thin

Jaffa

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2013
East Nothants
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So finally we are moving house in 3 weeks, my new listening space is 29ft x 16ish, I'm currently using the ae's on my Onkyo av, however that's very likely to change. But short term how are they likely to perform best, either side if the chimney breast close to the wall facing the 16ft with the LH channel in a corner alcove and the RH channel in open space to its right or either side of the window facing the 29ft with both channels equally spaced from the side walls. Floor is carpeted facing a huge L shaped sofa.

I know I should hear both but the likelihood is with a 2 year old in tow, where they land is where they will stay. Appeasing the wife being my main priority by not moving the living room to fulfill my audible requirements.

I have a plannar3 I'm about to add to the system and have been keeping my eye open for a digital integrated with phono.

Many thanks in advance.

Lee

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
Before I grew up and moved out of my parents place, I found my system always sounded better when arranged on the longest wall. My speakers were about 4/5 meters apart with my TV in the middle which had my bed in front of it. The bed was a good way to tame down the reflections, as a side note.

I wish I had a room to experiment with here (especially now I have far larger speakers!) but hey ho.

Try both layouts :) I think you'd prefer the image a wider positioning setup sounds.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
I prefer the long wall arrangement when it is possible, works best for LVs and APs in my experience although ESLs seem to prefer the short wall firing down the room

Not sure how technical this subject is though, you will probably get a better response if you get a mod to move the thread to 2Ch

Jaffa

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2013
East Nothants
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the replies, I wasn't sure where it sat to be honest, I suspect you're correct.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One orientation tend to produce better Sq than the other?
I suggest you read this: http://realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

- - - Updated - - -

35b9jch.jpg
This graph compares the response with the loudspeakers firing down the longer versus shorter dimensions of a room.

Image courtesy of Sound On Sound magazine.

taff

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 20, 2013
South Wales & Lo
The problem I found with going acrosss the narrow length of the room was the sofa was then on the back wall and the bass qas reinforced. If you go down the length of the room the sofa can be off the wall a bit.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which ever layout lets you put the rack away from speakers, and has space between your ears and the rear wall. I know space between the ears is part of using the wam, but hey ho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
egs