Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
.....is very good!

Never before have I film that on one end of the spectrum makes you roar with laughter but at the other end makes you crawl with shock.

Very Martin Scorcese, and I think it dramatised drug use slightly but it's a very good watch, a 3 hour film that doesn't seem it!!

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I saw a trailer for this when I went to see American Hustle. It looked really 'Laddish' which put me off a bit, but have since heard other good reports about it. It's Mrs BB's choice next time we go though so it will be 12 Years A Slave.

Cheers BB

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
Unfortunately we went to the disappointing Coenzyme Bros last night! Wolf on Wall St is next!

elwood p dowd

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2009
Glasgow, , United Ki
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saw the film last night enjoyed it, captured the feel of the era brilliantly, the Golf Club scene and aftermath was hilarious, plenty of nubile young ladies showing their assets throughout the movie:bouncey:. Leonardo Dicaprio reminded me of Jack Nicholson in full flow with his performance, that could be a good or bad thing, depending on your viewpoint, will it be Oscar winning, who knows ? great supporting cast as well, recommend seeing it.

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Di Caprio is really a great actor IMO - he can near do any role!

I've got the book to read now which will be interesting!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No idea why, but I have a real issue with DiCaprio.

In everything I have seen, he has been a good actor, but always an actor. I never 'see' the character, just that little short-arse playing the role.

Everything.

A few really good actors make you forget they are acting and make you see the character they are playing. You don't see the actor anymore, you see the role. Many have achieved that, to me, DiCaprio never has. I have hated everything I've seen him in so far, simply because of that. He never seems to relax into the part. He's always himself playing someone else.

Tosser.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I didn't used to like DiCaprio, but looking back I think it was probably because he was too young combined with some roles being in films I considered shit, including Titanic.But I think you've got to give him his due. He's done some great movies since. E.g. The Departed, Blood Diamond.

Thick Rabski is mistaken, again.
I found him particularly good in The Departed, and also Django unchained. As above though, if Titanic had been his last film, I could live with never seeing him again.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought he was shit in Django Unchained but mainly because he was miscast IMO. The role required an older, psycho type and DiCaprio can't do psycho - again IMO. I do think he's a very good actor though.

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought he was shit in Django Unchained but mainly because he was miscast IMO. The role required an older, psycho type and DiCaprio can't do psycho - again IMO. I do think he's a very good actor though.
He did a pretty good psycho in Shutter Island.

dangermouse

Hasta la vista
Wammer Plus
Jul 10, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Technically a good film, but far too long, and I couldn't warm to a lead character with absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever.

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Technically a good film, but far too long, and I couldn't warm to a lead character with absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever.
Seems to hugely divide opinion - I think he's excellent!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And as Howard Hughes in The Aviator.
Sorry old chum, but again I have to disagree for exactly the reasons aforementioned.

He played Hughes. he never became Hughes.

I have to say I had exactly the same feelings about Shutter Island. I found it all but unwatchable, because he was over-acting throughout the entire thing. Never believable.

Watch something like In Bruges, and Farrell and Gleeson become their characters. Totally 'real'. Di Shitprio has never managed that in any role I've seen him in yet.

Horrible little prick with near zero acting ability.

YMMV.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know what Rabski is getting at here. I loathe Emma Thompson as a person but when I saw Sense And Sensibility yonks ago I really liked the character she played. I didn't see Emma Thompson at all, I merely saw the character she was playing and that for me is fucking good acting.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know what Rabski is getting at here. I loathe Emma Thompson as a person but when I saw Sense And Sensibility yonks ago I really liked the character she played. I didn't see Emma Thompson at all, I merely saw the character she was playing and that for me is fucking good acting.
This.

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry old chum, but again I have to disagree for exactly the reasons aforementioned.He played Hughes. he never became Hughes.

I have to say I had exactly the same feelings about Shutter Island. I found it all but unwatchable, because he was over-acting throughout the entire thing. Never believable.

Watch something like In Bruges, and Farrell and Gleeson become their characters. Totally 'real'. Di Shitprio has never managed that in any role I've seen him in yet.

Horrible little prick with near zero acting ability.

YMMV.
Richard, are you sure that you're not confusing "gritty and lacking in polish (of the film in general)" with "real"? I've seen In Bruges and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I can't honestly see that the characters were any more real than was Di Caprio as Hughes. The Aviator was certainly glossy and glamorous à la Hollywood, much more so than In Bruges - is that's really what's putting you off?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Richard, are you sure that you're not confusing "gritty and lacking in polish (of the film in general)" with "real"? I've seen In Bruges and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I can't honestly see that the characters were any more real than was Di Caprio as Hughes. The Aviator was certainly glossy and glamorous à la Hollywood, much more so than In Bruges - is that's really what's putting you off?
Not at all dear lad.

No. The 'In Bruges' was merely an example of acting where I forget that they are actors and I see the characters they are playing. They were the characters. Possibly it's just me, but in Aviator, what I saw was an actor trying to be Howard Hughes and failing by a large margin. All I could see was an actor, not the character.

There are, unfortunately to my mind, many similar examples.

However, on the bright side there are many who manage to transcend that grey area and produce something really memorable as a result.

Richard Burton in Under Milk Wood. Surprisingly, considering the role, Al Pacino in Merchant of Venice. Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. Many, many more.

Just always, actors who don't act, but instead become.

Jan 11, 2006
Used to go out with a girl in the mid 80s who worked in the city.

Went there on a few nights to the wine bars.

Came to the conclusion then that yuppies were complete cnuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.