• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

World of Soul

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And don't forget this by Jarrod Lawson released in 2014. One of the best soul albums of the second decade of the 2000s. Managed to see him live too - a great talent.

64d963f48222920f8883527b495bd39f.jpg

Reactions: oldius

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
This guy is smashing it and building a massive reputation at the moment:

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Guess what I forgot a couple more . Laura Nyro and Carol King both white and ace soul singers . Laura even recorded an album with Labelle who frankly were so hot when I saw them in the seventies they stunted my growth .

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
White Soul singers well here goes just the ones I can think of off the top of my head , Dusty Springfield , Joe Cocker , Van Morrison , Amy Winehouse ,Darry Hall , Steve Winwood , David Bowie , Boz Scaggs , Alex Chilton , Robert Palmer ,Lowell George, Robbie Robertson ,Bill Medley , Paolo Nutini , Ray La Montangne , Dr John , Chris Farlowe .

They are out there you just have be open to things . Soul is a feeling and it does not have to be defined by the narrow bands of convention . Richard Thompson - Misunderstood (from Rumour and Sigh Album)  is an example this is not a Soul song but it is very Soulful and for me is valid as a white soul singer .
Mitch Ryder and the Detroit wheels done soul with a capital 'S' :geek:

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Klassik has many thoughts on the subject, but here are three Klassik favorites which immediately pop into Klassik's head.

1. Aretha Franklin's Think. Specifically, Klassik likes the version Aretha made in ~1980 for The Blues Brothers movie. It's a lively performance with Aretha's silky smooth, but powerful singing. Recommend.
  2. The Fifth Dimension - Medley: Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In (The Flesh Failures). Klassik quite likes the gospel-like performance of Let The Sunshine In.
  3. Diana Ross - Ain't No Mountain High Enough. Diana Ross's version, the full album version no less instead of the shorter radio edit, of Ain't No Mountain High Enough of might be the most controversial inclusion in the list since some will surely not like the amount of spoken word in this performance. Klassik thinks it works, but Klassik is aware that many don't share Klassik's belief here.

Reactions: vinyl4ever

vinyl4ever

Mr
Wammer
Mar 29, 2020
Doncaster
AKA
Stewart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anything that's black and moves you counts IMHO.

When I was growing up "white soul brothers" was a simple insult - white people didn't do soul. Even though the Northern Soul scene was huge - I can't remember any white people singing on any of the 7"'s. I'm still struggling to think of one and I'd like to so as not to appear racist. There must be one somewhere. Surely? Sat here listening to the Atlantic Box Set and many of those artists truly had soul. If I could think of a white person who could sing like Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, many of the Phili stars (like Lou Rawls or the O'Jays) or, say, James Brown I would mention them trust me!

Someone help me out!!! :)

That's not to say, white musicians don't move me. Of course they do. Just in a different way. Country. Rock. Classical. Dusty Springfield on Dusty in Memphis is smooth as they come. Just not when it comes to real soul.

NB, Looks like Randy could use a good dentist...
There were plenty of white soul singers on the northern scene.
On 04/12/2019 at 18:11, Bazzer said:

Double header from the masters of choreography , not a soulful voice as such but what a voice .

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Straight outta South East London Joel Culpepper's latest LP "Sgt Culpepper" is worth a listen. Strong Prince vibes on this one.

I.D.S.

Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
I'll often tune in to Totally Wired Radio for it's varied selection of music brought by a great rosta of dj's.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Last night I dug out a album of Prince, called "The Hits 1". The tracks are mostly written for others... really Soulful though. Should play it more often

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx