World of Soul

Tune

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2006
Maidenhead, , United
AKA
Michael
Anything that's black and moves you counts IMHO.

When I was growing up "white soul brothers" was a simple insult - white people didn't do soul. Even though the Northern Soul scene was huge - I can't remember any white people singing on any of the 7"'s. I'm still struggling to think of one and I'd like to so as not to appear racist. There must be one somewhere. Surely?  Sat here listening to the Atlantic Box Set and many of those artists truly had soul. If I could think of a white person who could sing like Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, many of the Phili stars (like Lou Rawls or the O'Jays) or, say, James Brown I would mention them trust me!

Someone help me out!!!   :)

That's not to say, white musicians don't move me. Of course they do. Just in a different way. Country. Rock. Classical. Dusty Springfield on Dusty in Memphis is smooth as they come. Just not when it comes to real soul.

NB, Looks like Randy could use a good dentist...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DougK

DougK

DougK
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
Witham
AKA
Doug
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agreed, white singers can't do soul like black artists. It isn't pretty watching Randy sing but she sure has a lovely voice, as does Gladys and sooo many more black singers from that era. Can't think of many white voices that would come close, Dusty and Karen Carpenter maybe.

White artists can Funk  :)

Reactions: plasticpenguin

Tune

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2006
Maidenhead, , United
AKA
Michael
Where was the vocal :)  You see, for me now, it's an average backing track for some proper music, the sort session musicians would bring together for an artist in those days.

I remember it well so I'm not knocking it 100%. It was popular and it introduced many white folk to black music. I AM saying however that, IMHO, if the guys weren't white and from Scotland, it would never have got ten minutes of airplay on Radio 1. 

• Upvote
Reactions: DougK

vinyl4ever

Mr
Wammer Plus
Mar 29, 2020
Doncaster
primevehiclelogistics.com
AKA
Stewart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anything that's black and moves you counts IMHO.
When I was growing up "white soul brothers" was a simple insult - white people didn't do soul. Even though the Northern Soul scene was huge - I can't remember any white people singing on any of the 7"'s. I'm still struggling to think of one and I'd like to so as not to appear racist. There must be one somewhere. Surely?  Sat here listening to the Atlantic Box Set and many of those artists truly had soul. If I could think of a white person who could sing like Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, many of the Phili stars (like Lou Rawls or the O'Jays) or, say, James Brown I would mention them trust me!
Someone help me out!!!   [emoji4]
That's not to say, white musicians don't move me. Of course they do. Just in a different way. Country. Rock. Classical. Dusty Springfield on Dusty in Memphis is smooth as they come. Just not when it comes to real soul.
NB, Looks like Randy could use a good dentist...
Have to disagree with this. Plenty of white singers made sone great soul music.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: oldius

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Since the sad demise a few years ago of Sharon Jones and Charles Bradley, both on the Daptone label, Colemine Records seems to stepping up to the plate  of late especially with this new release It's Only Us by Monophonics. An old sounding, old school soul LP presented in an old style heavy cardboard tip-on sleeve with powerhouse vocals by (the white - see above posts  :S ) Kelly Finnegan .

mono.jpg

Also, I must mention last year's American Love Call by Durand Jones And The Indications, also on Colemine Records, and one of my top 5 albums from 2019. Saw them live at Nile Rogers' curated Meltdown Festival at London's Southbank last August and they we're brilliant.  Like the Monophonics, they have that old school vibe with vocals shared by the more typical soul voice of Durand Jones and the falsetto of drummer Aaron Frazer (white again - who would have thought?!).

DurandJones_AmericanLoveCall.jpg

If you like soul music both are worthy of your hard-earned.

vinyl4ever

Mr
Wammer Plus
Mar 29, 2020
Doncaster
AKA
Stewart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not sure which camp the Sam Dees one falls into. Nice soulful voice but the music borrows somewhat from eastern europe/middle east.
Angie Stone, on the other hand, is fabulous.
A lot of the true Soulheads shudder at this track but I likey a lot.
Sam Dees, made a few great tracks on the Northern Soul scene

Stewart

Reactions: petrichor

vinyl4ever

Mr
Wammer Plus
Mar 29, 2020
Doncaster
AKA
Stewart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Since the sad demise a few years ago of Sharon Jones and Charles Bradley, both on the Daptone label, Colemine Records seems to stepping up to the plate  of late especially with this new release It's Only Us by Monophonics. An old sounding, old school soul LP presented in an old style heavy cardboard tip-on sleeve with powerhouse vocals by (the white - see above posts [emoji37]) Kelly Finnegan .
mono.jpg

Also, I must mention last year's American Love Call by Durand Jones And The Indications, also on Colemine Records, and one of my top 5 albums from 2019. Saw them live at Nile Rogers' curated Meltdown Festival at London's Southbank last August and they we're brilliant.  Like the Monophonics, they have that old school vibe with vocals shared by the more typical soul voice of Durand Jones and the falsetto of drummer Aaron Frazer (white again - who would have thought?!).
DurandJones_AmericanLoveCall.jpg

If you like soul music both are worthy of your hard-earned.
Durand Jones are like a real mix of early/mid 70s funk soul and then some really modern soul with a 70s twist.
Outstanding music imho

Stewart

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
White Soul singers well here goes just the ones I can think of off the top of my head , Dusty Springfield , Joe Cocker , Van Morrison , Amy Winehouse ,Darry Hall , Steve Winwood , David Bowie , Boz Scaggs , Alex Chilton , Robert Palmer ,Lowell George, Robbie Robertson ,Bill Medley , Paolo Nutini , Ray La Montangne , Dr John , Chris Farlowe .

They are out there you just have be open to things . Soul is a feeling and it does not have to be defined by the narrow bands of convention . Richard Thompson - Misunderstood (from Rumour and Sigh Album)  is an example this is not a Soul song but it is very Soulful and for me is valid as a white soul singer .

Last edited by a moderator:

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
White Soul singers well here goes just the ones I can think of off the top of my head , Dusty Springfield , Joe Cocker , Van Morrison , Amy Winehouse ,Darry Hall , Steve Winwood , David Bowie , Boz Scaggs , Alex Chilton , Robert Palmer ,Lowell George, Robbie Robertson ,Bill Medley , Paolo Nutini , Ray La Montangne , Dr John , Chris Farlowe .

They are out there you just have be open to things . Soul is a feeling and it does not have to be defined by the narrow bands of convention . Richard Thompson - Misunderstood (from Rumour and Sigh Album)  is an example this is not a Soul song but it is very Soulful and for me is valid as a white soul singer .

This guy is 68! An enormously talented musician.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
18 minutes ago, oldius said:

Ah I missed one and I own at least seven albums either by him or groups he featured in . Thanks for the reminder .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online