WTD: Direct-Drive Turntable

norliss

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2009
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My current table has been on the blink for a while and the plan is to take it to be repaired over the weekend. If I'm really lucky and it's something super-simple I might be able to bring it back with me but in all likelihood it will be away for a bit. Regardless, I like the idea of having a backup table so am on the lookout for something.

I have a particular predilection for direct-drive (ergo Japanese) so I'm looking for one of these. Some models would appeal more than others, but it's really a question of what's about. I'd like a complete unit and not something sans-tonearm because I don't really want to go down the rabbit hole and/or be messing about fitting arms for what is almost certainly to be a back-up table.

I'm quite intrigued by linear trackers and something like a Technics SL-10 (and similar models) could be beneficial for storage reasons due to the smaller footprint. I've become something of a Luxman fan of late and would doubtless be enamored with one of their DD machines. I appreciate that the Japanese weren't the only purveyors of DD tables so would be willing to consider something like a Dual too. I'd rather something that was mid-range upwards i.e. I'd rather steer clear of the lower-end machines if possible.

The inevitable (and understandable!) question will be "what's the budget?" In all honesty I wasn't planning to spend a huge amount but I could be tempted to spend a bit more depending on the table. Put it this way: as much as the idea of owning a Kenwood L-07D, a Technics SL-1000 (or any other equivalent juggernaut) appeals, the asking price for such machines is likely to be an order of magnitude more than I'm willing to shell out right now!

So I'm interested in hearing what's out there and go from there....

PeteT59

Wammer
Jul 20, 2020
Brighton
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a recently retired Micro Seiki DD40, with its original MA505 arm (the Audiomods arm is not included)

It's in good nick, but the cover is a reacement.

If you're interested, PM me and I can send you good quality photos.

I've not thought about price, so open to offers...
7ae51752b131c39dfd0b56ced20e09be.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tarzan

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@norlissSpin back a few pages in the classifieds, as there was a black Technics 1500C on offer for £500 and was only about a year old. 

Edit:

Here you go. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My current table has been on the blink for a while and the plan is to take it to be repaired over the weekend. If I'm really lucky and it's something super-simple I might be able to bring it back with me but in all likelihood it will be away for a bit. Regardless, I like the idea of having a backup table so am on the lookout for something.

I have a particular predilection for direct-drive (ergo Japanese) so I'm looking for one of these. Some models would appeal more than others, but it's really a question of what's about. I'd like a complete unit and not something sans-tonearm because I don't really want to go down the rabbit hole and/or be messing about fitting arms for what is almost certainly to be a back-up table.

I'm quite intrigued by linear trackers and something like a Technics SL-10 (and similar models) could be beneficial for storage reasons due to the smaller footprint. I've become something of a Luxman fan of late and would doubtless be enamored with one of their DD machines. I appreciate that the Japanese weren't the only purveyors of DD tables so would be willing to consider something like a Dual too. I'd rather something that was mid-range upwards i.e. I'd rather steer clear of the lower-end machines if possible.

The inevitable (and understandable!) question will be "what's the budget?" In all honesty I wasn't planning to spend a huge amount but I could be tempted to spend a bit more depending on the table. Put it this way: as much as the idea of owning a Kenwood L-07D, a Technics SL-1000 (or any other equivalent juggernaut) appeals, the asking price for such machines is likely to be an order of magnitude more than I'm willing to shell out right now!

So I'm interested in hearing what's out there and go from there....
The technics 1200 series is a good start.  Older models like the MK2 or MK5 are good too.  Interesting snippet about the arm:  I 'upgraded' the arm to an Origin Live Encounter  but went back to the standard Technics arm as it is better.  In particular it is easier to use and you are less likely to damage a cart.

Worrasf

New Wammer
May 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
AKA
Stephen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a very nice Technics SL-1210 that I have just finished "lock down project refurb".

Details of work done and photos are on a thread on AoS here:https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheartofsound%2Enet%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D71446&share_tid=71446&share_fid=4177&share_type=t&link_source=app

Essentially sensibly upgraded in all areas but kept the original look. I even have a bespoke packing carton!

Since the above post and photos I've replaced the KAB phono connector with one that sits directly under the tonearm base.

Steve

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have a recently retired Micro Seiki DD40, with its original MA505 arm (the Audiomods arm is not included)

It's in good nick, but the cover is a reacement.

If you're interested, PM me and I can send you good quality photos.

I've not thought about price, so open to offers...

Nurse!  :testy1:  Nurse! :testy1:  By thunder that is a beautiful looking Turntable. :22:

Reactions: PeteT59

norliss

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2009
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having seen a Technics SL-10 in the 'flesh' as it were, I'm quite taken with them (and the similar SL-7) and think that it would be ideal as a second table. In part because the whole ethos of it (closed lid, linear tracking arm) is different to what I already have and also because its tiny footprint definitely makes it easier on the storage front.

PeteT59

Wammer
Jul 20, 2020
Brighton
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nurse! 
kaos-pinkusagi46.gif.f12666a1007c3ec197dfeab4ee94344e.gif
 Nurse!
kaos-pinkusagi46.gif.f12666a1007c3ec197dfeab4ee94344e.gif
 By thunder that is a beautiful looking Turntable.
dribble.gif.d7c791c8c1fcd106b5acaa26ef2a6658.gif
Thanks... It's been sitting on the subs bench for a few months, plugged it in to test all OK and was reminded just why I'd kept it for so long..![emoji22]

norliss

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2009
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I made a purchase. I got a lovely old JVC QL-7 from a very nice bloke of this parish @BB Wan who was nice enough to deliver it to me. It's set up and running nicely :)

Reactions: antonio66

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles