marywhitehouse
Wammer
Nov 1, 2020
Huntly
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I'm looking to discuss the technical difference between data transmission between the router and the streamer, and the streamer and the dac and whether the former process is as susceptible to being degraded by low quality cables as the latter
Between the router and the streamer then the streamer and the DAC there should be zero change in the signal from one end of each of those cables to the other. The signal within the streamer will be changed of course. That only assumes a basic good quality ethernet cable and subsequently a basic good quality usb cable. Neither is susceptible to degradation from the cable without trying pretty hard to use a very poor cable.

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
As per my comment, from how I understand it, ethernet has galvanic isolation at both ends. It's a differential signal, so no interfernece will get 'in' without being inherently rejected. If you screen it, you then add a connection between the send and receive grounding that shouldn't be there. In this case, screening will not prevent interference and could actually cause it.
As a matter of interest, is the isolation on each end of the ethernet 100% effective rejecting all noise? Its just that I have other hifi gear which has galvanic isolation on its sockets and that is only partially effective at noise rejection.

JohnnyNapalm

Wammer
Nov 18, 2017
Isle of Man
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just picked up a Melco server for my Auralic G1 streamer and need a decent ethernet to connect them. Ideally 0.75m if anyone has anything spare they'd like to sell?
As it is Christmas I am more than happy to knock up a CAT6 Interconnect which will be just fine for what you want? Cheers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles