Yet another first timer Scalford review

startingfromscratch

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2015
Bristol
AKA
Dylan
I've been to the Bristol Hifi show a few times and I went to the Bath Audiofest the day before but they were nothing like Scalford.

First of all the Park and Ride was excellent, allowing people to get chatting on the way, the badges were also great although I wish I'd thought to write my name on the reverse side as well as that's what was displayed 50% of the time.

One thing that really struck me was that it was very well organised, more so than the other shows which I wasn't expecting. Having printouts of the equipment on the doors was good, the hotel staff were helpful, the pavilion was a great place to stop and have lunch and I think I found every room even without a map.

Right, onto the hifi:

My favourite set up was in the Lenco room, the big dark brown wooden horn speakers all the way from Germany. All that bass somehow without any boom was very different, I went back several times. Not sure I'd want that type of sound in my own home but it was great to hear.

Next favourites were Harv's Focal's (I liked the slam and the fat sound provided by the valve monoblocks).

Third were Meyebaza's strangely positioned Opera Callas speakers (for those not there they were positioned firing at the side walls, I'm guessing that instead of hearing direct sound plus first reflection a moment later you just hear first reflection, and also you get more bass and less treble). The turntable seemed nicely setup and I enjoyed his taste in vinyl, not sure what any of it was though, I wish I'd made a note.

I think I must have had a need for bass as my top 3 were all quite deep sounding. Others I liked were the big white horns, flawed sound but somehow magical at the same time, definitely something special, the room with the Triangle speakers and the Graham Audio speakers. Plenty of other rooms sounded good so I'm probably forgetting to mention some others.

One thing I noticed was the lack of digital sources, definitely a strong bias towards vinyl on this forum and most of the systems I liked were playing vinyl. Good to see it's not dead yet and nice to hear some vinyl that's not been bought in a charity shop :D

Also a surprising lack of foo and most systems seemed to just be plonked down on a table or the floor.

After waiting almost a year and then missing last year's show I had to wait another year for this year's one. It was a long wait but definitely worth it so thanks to everyone for all the hard work.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great write up - good that you enjoyed the show. :)

the badges were also great although I wish I'd thought to write my name on the reverse side as well as that's what was displayed 50% of the time. 
There you go, another vote for the only improvement needed for Scalford17 - double sided badges. :^ :p

startingfromscratch

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2015
Bristol
AKA
Dylan
Great write up - good that you enjoyed the show. :) There you go, another vote for the only improvement needed for Scalford17 - double sided badges. :^ :p
How could anyone not enjoy that? :)

Pretty much the only improvement I could think of, the paper of the badges could've been printed larger and folded over but that would have used more ink and paper so writing on the back might have been easier. A minor niggle anyway in an otherwise superbly organised show, the fact that there were badges at all was great, I imagine a lot of time and effort went into making those so thanks to whoever did that.

I think I got carried away with all the music at the show and bought myself a pair of speakers on the journey home the next day - whoops!

startingfromscratch

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2015
Bristol
AKA
Dylan
Thanks mate
I think it was your excellent choice in music that might have biased my opinion somewhat, I have no idea what most of it was though, there was some Aretha at some point, the only voice I recognised. I'd love to know what some of it was, my vinyl collection is a bit lacking in that genre.

dangermouse

Hasta la vista
Wammer Plus
Jul 10, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There you go, another vote for the only improvement needed for Scalford17 - double sided badges. :^ :p
Maybe said in jest, but the badge problem has had several mentions on at least three different audio forums.

I've been wearing badges on lanyards for years myself and never experienced anything like it.

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Maybe said in jest, but the badge problem has had several mentions on at least three different audio forums. I've been wearing badges on lanyards for years myself and never experienced anything like it.
Nothing a sharpie won't fix.

G

Badge thing is deliberate.

Fancy burying your face in a porkie pie without someone asking about your speaker cables?

Flip yer badge.

Job done, sorted.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rather than use the Lanyard, which does seem to reverse the badge more than it should on sheer 50-50 probability , I attached my badge to one of my shirt buttons. Problem solved.

S

startingfromscratch

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2015
Bristol
AKA
Dylan
Rather than use the Lanyard, which does seem to reverse the badge more than it should on sheer 50-50 probability , I attached my badge to one of my shirt buttons. Problem solved.S
Next year I'll wear a shirt with buttons and pretend to be a grown up :)

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't think it is unique to the Wam.

I was at a work conference recently. I am a relatively new boy so far more people knew who I was compared to me knowing them (They had only one name to remember I had over 100). I had spoken to loads of people on the phone and conversed by email and I was trying to put names to faces. Almost everyone's name badge was back to front, it was quite embarrassing!

G

When it comes to putting names to faces, I am the world's worst.

Its so bad that after Scalford, where I wing it every year, I did wonder if a faces/names thread on the wam would be a good idea.

images

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You should grow that moustache back Steve you looked much better then.

And I see you almost cut your hair.

• Upvote
Reactions: huwge

dangermouse

Hasta la vista
Wammer Plus
Jul 10, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rather than use the Lanyard, which does seem to reverse the badge more than it should on sheer 50-50 probability , I attached my badge to one of my shirt buttons. Problem solved.
Serge, the voice of wisdom as always. :notworthy:

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Serge, the voice of wisdom as always. :notworthy:
They always used to come with clips but most people didn't/don't wear shirts hence the change to lanyards , double sided is the way to go .

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Next favourites were Harv's Focal's (I liked the slam and the fat sound provided by the valve monoblocks).
Was a big step into the unknown after frying one of mono's, thanks to Nick stepping in with his amps after a slight moment of stupidity the night before:doh: :oops: ... Was fun playing with the valve mono's very different to what I'm used too but very nice all the same :stereo:

Glad you liked it and if I'm allowed a room again next year come say hi and bring a cd :^

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Was a big step into the unknown after frying one of mono's, thanks to Nick stepping in with his amps after a slight moment of stupidity the night before:doh: :oops: ... Was fun playing with the valve mono's very different to what I'm used too but very nice all the same :stereo: Glad you liked it and if I'm allowed a room again next year come say hi and bring a cd :^
Harv, we can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time into thinking our joint system was put together after months or even years of experimentation and analysis. Or we could confess that we put it together at 6am that morning!

startingfromscratch

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2015
Bristol
AKA
Dylan
Was a big step into the unknown after frying one of mono's, thanks to Nick stepping in with his amps after a slight moment of stupidity the night before:doh: :oops: ... Was fun playing with the valve mono's very different to what I'm used too but very nice all the same :stereo: Glad you liked it and if I'm allowed a room again next year come say hi and bring a cd :^
I'm looking forward to how different (if at all) it sounds with solid state amplification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles