Yorkshire pudding question.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why is it Yorkshire puddings don't rise with self-raising flour? I've looked on the internet and the only explanation, which sounds shaky to me, is the steam reacts with the raising agent & keeps it flat. Surely, if that's the case why do sponge cakes rise with self-raising flour? It's cooked in the same oven with the same steam.

Answers on a postcard 

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chemical reaction? Self-raising contains salt and baking powder, so I suppose there's some sort of reaction with the milk and eggs in a normal batter mix. Seems logical, but I dunno...

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We make gf ones too and find they often raise better using corn flour but don't taste as nice.

This is a good recipe - https://glutenfreecuppatea.co.uk/2017/10/01/gluten-free-yorkshire-pudding-recipe-dairy-free-low-fodmap/

When I said 'we' above, actually I mean't my OH, I just eat them...
I use a combination of supermarket plain GF flour and cornflour.

To be honest nearly all GF stuff tastes rubbish, but as Mrs.P suffers from Celiac disease, we have no option. Can't be doing with making ordinary ones just for me. Too much faffing around.

When I make mine I use buttermilk. Gives it more body.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JamieMcC

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just follow James Martin's recipe. 

Apart from the ingredients I've found best results come from sieving the  flour prior to mixing then passing the mix through a sieve into a jug and getting it chilled down in the fridge prior to using.

Use the big batter pud moulds, chilled  mix goes into very hot tubs with a bit of preheated oil or lard. 

Fantastic results every time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/james-martins-yorkshire-puds/amp

Last edited by a moderator:

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The method I learned a long time ago, is to just use a little milk to make a thick gunge and put that in the fridge overnight. Add the rest of the milk a bit at a time just prior to using.

I would echo the need for pre-heated pre-oiled very hot pans/trays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles