Linn Owners

Your 2020 Upgrades and plans for 2021

macfan

LP12 Newbie
Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am sure everyone is looking forward to saying goodbye to 2020. However, some of us did perform updates to our LP12 or planning on updates for 2021.

For 2020 I did the following

1. Karousel
  2. Urika-II
  3. Ekos SE

For 2021 - I may sit out unless the update offer is really good but could do one of the following

1. Kandid
  2. Keel
What are your plans?

Reactions: akamatsu

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
December 2020 has seen a Uphorik, Karousel and Radikal - with the outgoing Lingo transferred to the second system LP12 - so nothing planned for about 5 years now! (apart from a cartridge - which will be a change- probably a Hana, but listening required).

The system as a whole also had changes forced upon it as the Radikal took up more space than the lingo (1)- meaning that the Schiit DAC and headphone amp have had to go and Fiio K5 slipped into the (tiny) space. A shame as it was a really nice sounding pairing.

If anything else was to change then it would be to swap out the Majik Exaktbox-i (which is silver) for a black one(if I could find one)- but more likely for an Accurate Exaktbox-i as then all the cases would match up. It's not essential though as the M-e-i is pretty good.

Jazz Kisaten

Wammer
May 25, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
2020:  Made a few musically beneficial and cost effective (within the context of Linn $) moves.

• Replaced pre-Cirkus bearing and sub-chassis with Cirkus and Majik 
  • Replaced very old and too stiff Cardas cable with new T-Kable
  • Replaced an aging Grado Reference with an Ortofon 2M Black
  • Moved the table from atop a heavy stereo console to an Ikea Lack

2021:

• Replace Lingo  1 with Lingo 4
  • Would love to get a Karousel but can't bring myself to do it as the Cirkus is not even a year old.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
December 2020 has seen a Uphorik, Karousel and Radikal - with the outgoing Lingo transferred to the second system LP12 - so nothing planned for about 5 years now! (apart from a cartridge - which will be a change- probably a Hana, but listening required).

The system as a whole also had changes forced upon it as the Radikal took up more space than the lingo (1)- meaning that the Schiit DAC and headphone amp have had to go and Fiio K5 slipped into the (tiny) space. A shame as it was a really nice sounding pairing.

If anything else was to change then it would be to swap out the Majik Exaktbox-i (which is silver) for a black one(if I could find one)- but more likely for an Accurate Exaktbox-i as then all the cases would match up. It's not essential though as the M-e-i is pretty good.
I owned a Majik Exaktbox I for the last few years and was very happy with the sound quality. This powered my passive Akudoriks for surround.

In October I purchased a new Katalyst Akurate Exaktbox I. The improvements in sound quality with the Akurate was substantial, compared to the Majik, 

The new Akurate Exaktbox I easily matches the sound signature of my Katalyst Akubariks, and would be my best suggestion.

2020:  Made a few musically beneficial and cost effective (within the context of Linn $) moves.

• Replaced pre-Cirkus bearing and sub-chassis with Cirkus and Majik 
  • Replaced very old and too stiff Cardas cable with new T-Kable
  • Replaced an aging Grado Reference with an Ortofon 2M Black
  • Moved the table from atop a heavy stereo console to an Ikea Lack

2021:

• Replace Lingo  1 with Lingo 4
  • Would love to get a Karousel but can't bring myself to do it as the Cirkus is not even a year old.
I have heard the Karousel replacing the Cirkus in a few LP-12’s this year.

The improvements in sound quality are substantial, and well worth the relatively modest cost, for the improvements it brings

TooManyCatweazles

Vinyl Junkie with a DSM
Wammer
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
2020:

• machined Radikal (black) - replacing Lingo 2
  • Urika 2 - replacing Uphorik
  • Karousel - replacing Cirkus

I'm very happy with the progress, and my fun to listen to my good old records was definitely re-ignited by this (conciderable, in my terms) investment

• Akiva retipping by Roberto Torlai - replacing Krystal (no urgent need, the Krystal is still good, but ... 🤗)

What else? No pressure! Wait and see, if any special offer triggers me, and how budgets unroll. Needful things:

1. ExaktboxSub to revive my AV5150
  2. Keel - replacing Kore
  3. Ekos/SE  - replacing Ekos
  4. Klimax Exaktbox - replacing Akurate Exaktbox 6
  5. A3200s - replacing C6100/D
  6. Akubariks replacing AV5140s  + AV5150 (+  1.) + 4. + 5.

Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt! - as we say in German 😉

More realistic: Improve AV5140 base by DIY project suggested by @Eldarboy. This year, the weather was to variable, to get it kicked-off in the garden.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, 2020 started with the Karousel and Kandid upgrade and finished with the replacement of my second system with an MDSM/4 and a pair of 109s, and there was a lot of enjoyable listening in between.

There are two things I want for 2021. The first is for my dealer Chris Fuller of Hidden Systems to recover from the serious illness he has had. And the second is to get vaccinated against COVID, so that I can visit him at his shop in Windsor, and see what kind of upgrade rabbit he can pull out of his hat.

David

DB1328

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
München
AKA
Jan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In april this year I got the wonderful Karousel installed. In Dezember I bought an Exaktbox Sub and an used 226 Subwoofer. The biggest upgrade was moving to a house, where I have my own listening room, now.

The only thing I can think of is adding another 226 for my wonderful system, if I can find another one in cherry wood.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
2020 - In January, I had a Santos rosewood Woodsong plinth installed. In July, a free Karousel and a Kandid to replace Krystal were done.

2021 - Rumour is that new LP12 upgrades will be released every year for the next few years. If Linn offers anything that would improve my LP12 (Klimax level), I will purchase without hesitation.

I have to say that LP12 upgrades are the most profound and exciting. There's no improvement like a source improvement. Talking to a dealer the other day about this, he said that the signal from a turntable can be magnified up to 10 million times! Little changes become very big changes in sound quality.

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are two things I want for 2021. The first is for my dealer Chris Fuller of Hidden Systems to recover from the serious illness he has had. And the second is to get vaccinated against COVID, so that I can visit him at his shop in Windsor, and see what kind of upgrade rabbit he can pull out of his hat.
I couldn't agree more - my December upgrades have also come from Chris  - his recovery takes priority over any expenditure on boxes of electronics.  There's more to the vaccination point though - what I hope for is that everyone offered it takes up the offer - reducing the number of available hosts to the virus. What I would also hope for is that, if you are vulnerable , then you get one fast - hopefully the high effectivity Pfizer version - and that it works for you. It concerns me that if one is later down the roll out programme (in the UK), but still in the 60+ category, one is likely too be offered  the "Oxford" vaccination - which one should still accept - but at roughly 65% effective one really won't know whether it has taken or not. Put another way, if the revolver had six slots in the chamber - and two were filled with live ammunition - would you spin and pull the trigger?  The principle behind mass vaccination is to protect the society, not the individual. This is an important message, and it's not being communicated. If all goes well, and the programme is successful (hopefully it should be) then  hope you get to Chris to pull out that rabbit - I'll also be hoping that he can demo me a rabbit called  Hana!

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

Karousel (I'm not able to upgrade anything else on the LP12 at this time)

Whatever new LP12 upgrade Linn might come out with (if it is Klimax level - just because they plan to come out with new LP12 upgrades each year doesn't mean they will be Klimax level.  Witness the Lingo 4 and Kore in recent years, and various Majik arms.)

Whatever new upgrades Lejonklou might come out with in their top components.

Some planned small changes to things like AC connections, etc. that I will play with.

Ahultin

Wammer
Dec 31, 2018
In 2020 I did Katalyst for my Majik Exaktbox I, Exaktbox sub and I took advantage of the promotion, and also got a Karousel for the LP12. Fantastic upgrades - for Source and playback.

in 2021...hmmm...depends on a few things. But I am considering Radikal and/or Krystal or possibly an arm upgrade. 
I have looked at replacing my speakers, but in 2021 I Will be building a new house, and moving  in in summer 2022. 
And I Will get a Room for my self (30 ish m2)

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There has been rumour of a top plate. This could potentially improve all LP12s, sort of like the Karousel, but not as profoundly I'm sure.

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There has been rumour of a top plate. This could potentially improve all LP12, sort of like the Karousel, but not as profoundly I'm sure.
This would get my vote - I'd have probably pulled the trigger on a Khan had there been one around three weeks ago whilst I had the LP12 in the jig. As soon  as it was reassembled and settled in Colin placed one on eBay - tempting, but I can wait. Heresy, I know, but the suspension studs are in the age of The  Ark - they don't belong on an entry level turntable costing the best part of £3.5k, let alone anything higher up the scale. I don't think  that it is an easy fix - the Khan fit is still dependent on a precision cut  - and a Linn retrofit option would have to cover the range of plinths available over the years. Also, just how important to the sound  is the tension introduced  when fitting the top plate? I say this fully understanding the need to tension the top plate and the reason behind it - but the machined aluminium plates, such as the Khan, do alter the sound - is this due to the better precision introduced by having vertical studs - or is it due to rigidity of the  plate? or (more probably) both? Apart from any sonic improvements I for one would welcome studs that were integral with the top plate if only as would be one less thing to worry about when setting up the darned thing!

Eldarboy

Classicist
Wammer
Oct 15, 2018
Hamilton, ON, Canada
AKA
Lewis Silvestri
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
More realistic: Improve AV5140 base by DIY project suggested by @Eldarboy. This year, the weather was to variable, to get it kicked-off in the garden.
If you do the project, you may find you will not need a subwoofer. Do this project before you do anything: it will be one of the most significant things you ever do. It is still the one thing I did that had the largest impact on the SQ on any of my systems.

Nrwatson

Linn Lover
Wammer
Feb 8, 2017
London
AKA
Neale Watson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Echo Chris get better I ordered the series 3 from him just before his illness and we were going to play in the shop with surround and the series 3 he was a great friend and amazing dealer so is sorely missed 

2020 upgraded klimax dsm Karousel and refurbishing of akurate 225 and melodik to piano black so next year will be music and sharing a glass of claret with Chris 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online