Your 2022 personal hifi prediction... Did it pan out??

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bit hit and miss really

Sugden into reserve (well one of them, other sold). More powerful amp to drive the Harbeths (Exposure)

Sold the Gyro and Audiomods arm for a simpler vinyl life with a new Thorens TD1600 (ordered a Benz cartridge to complement) but the AT OX9XML is doing a sterling job atm

Sold DAC in favour of the soon to be upgraded (factory) Restek CDP

Tweaked a few cables

Sold off a load of turntables because I don’t have time anymore to tinker because I’ve started a new job.

Having the big C a few years back affects your mind and future planning but luckily I got the all clear again last week which gives you a boost to plan a few things like a bake-off (sorry for the delay @Lurch 😊)

It was great to meet up with a few of you guys this year too, big thanks to @GLB (Chris) for helping me out this year, we will book that meal soon 👍🏻

Next year, the new Benz will arrive and the Restek gets a makeover. That’s as far as I have planned.
Great to hear that jon. (y)

Reactions: Rockchild

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I gave up planning when I took out a mortgage:rolleyes: and the bank manager banned me from the cash point machine :LOL:.

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sold - Feliks Echo headphone amp. Loads to sell once decisions have been made on what to keep and what to sell.

Bought:

Q Acoustics 3030i to replace Wharfedale Denton 80th. Still not convinced. Sometimes wow, sometimes not.

Schiit Aegir power amp. Nice.But do I need it?

Audeze LCD-2C and LCD-2 closed back. Have grown on me. Improve subjectively with new open cell pads in leather.

Shure SRH1540 - one day in and rather like, are they small sounding compared to the Audeze....tbd.

Celestion Ditton 44's to be delivered sometime before Xmas.

Denon PMA850 collection on Saturday.

Marantz PM8006. Open, killer imaging, nice bass. Just not warm enough for me. Surprised. An amp that needs a carpeted room imo.

Meze 99 classics. Had many a happy walk listening to Grateful Dead gigs with these playing off the iPod classic.

Mullard 6080 and PS Vane Black Treasures for the Feliks Elise. Subjective improvement. Probably no audible difference in reality.

Overall - happier than a year ago with the sound.

2023 - can I get the Ditton 44's into the living room (another resident will have final say on that) or will they end up in the smaller listening room or put in the studio with the exercise bike. After that and once preferences chosen I WILL not be buying amy amps. speakers or turntables etc for at least a year.

Reactions: hiesteem

Alexxus

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 30, 2008
Romania
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This year, just like the year before, I wanted a new pair of speakers. Since for some while now money tends to be a problem for me, I thought I'd go for a pair of DIY speakers and the most accessible, tech-wise, seemed to be Troels Gravesen's designs, so I seriously'considered a couple of them that didn't look to be too challenging.

However, even those were well over 2k euro in components alone, forget about my time and labour, so that went nowhere.

Anyways, to cut a long story short, I stumbled upon a pair of now vintage speakers, a German brand called T+A (Technik and Acoustik something), model Criterion TB160. Bought them for about 1700 euro, P+P included from Germany. Man, they are monsters! Big, majestic things, a combination of wardrobe and Darth Vader. Maybe I should attempt a review of them, they are really good, it could possibly help someone else make a decision, because they do pop up for sale now and then, and they are a steal.

As you could probably tell, I am a very happy bunny, so unless I somehow make a small fortune unexpectedly, I don't plan to make changes in my system any time soon now.

WolvesWill

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2010
Wolverhampton
AKA
William Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great looking equipment setup there!

My 2022 in Hifi then...

After telling myself I didn't need a sub.... I went and bought a sub. SVS Micro 3000. Integration made pretty easy with the Lyngdorf amplifiers DSP and room perfect software. Seems nice and non-directional/non localising, with the two opposed drivers, playing nothing whatsoever above 70Hz. Set up right, it seems to disappear into the system pretty well, until you switch it off and wonder where the bass and extra 'presence' went.

My only problem is now, I'd like another sub so I can run one on each channel. Probably end up as overkill for the size of room mind, and the neighbours will not approve.

Also bought:

Ortofon 2M black stylus (upgrade from the 2M bronze). No discernible downsides for me, detail and soundstaging a whole load better. Worth the money IMO.

KAB TD1000 tonearm damper (on a Technics SL-1210GR). Again, an improvement to separation and detail, and gives a nicer 'feel' to the tonearm lift as well (cushions the needle 'drop' onto the record). Looks factory fit when installed too.

Might yet try the SDS Soundeck platter mat, before the year is out, in place of the stock mat.

I've enjoyed a lot of new music this year and the vinyl collection has expanded by maybe a third since the start of the year.

Plans for 2023...maybe that platter mat, otherwise just enjoy it and buy more music!

Jag

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Apr 29, 2010
Rustington
AKA
Jag
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I had too many plans so no plans for 2023 other than reducing box count, my 14 year old daughter made an interesting suggestion that I give her my Audio Note system and record collection. Very interesting notion but it does not really reduce the box count in my house.

I don't think she understands (at the present moment) that a Voyd Reference with IO Gold is a little delicate compared to an old integrated type record player with auto return etc.

• Love
Reactions: deggie

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you need someone more careful to look after your Voyd Ref, I'm more than happy to offer a loving home.... 😁 Your daughter can have my standard split-phase model with my blessing!

Reactions: Jag

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No predictions were made for 2022 TBH but a Hana ML bought earlier in the year
from the classifieds has proven to be a lovely thing.
A Vertere platter mat looks and smells nice & has improved the Roksan..

A complete re-decoration of the lounge/listening room also with new carpets and lighting
has had the unexpected benefit of improving the sounds - possibly just from the cleaning of
fusty old contacts from the dismantling & putting back but more to it...:geek:

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Planned nowt, bought nowt.
I have no idea if that's a good thing or not though.

Liar, liar, I bought some headphones...unplanned.

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ending the year as it began. Spending!
8k is not what I expected blow this year. But it should mean 2023 is a bit cheaper. Apart from the TT it’s a full change out for me.

Jag

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Apr 29, 2010
Rustington
AKA
Jag
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
If you need someone more careful to look after your Voyd Ref, I'm more than happy to offer a loving home.... 😁 Your daughter can have my standard split-phase model with my blessing!
I will keep you in mind Jules especially if I decide to sell it and set up the Oracle Delphi that is my back up TT.

• Love
Reactions: Jules_S

BettisDad

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Didn't plan on anything but ended up with-
A second hand Border Patrol Dac which I really enjoy for the money, sounds great with the Node 2i.
Then a few days ago I saw Bob's @It Cost How Much!?! Zen iii up for sale and decided to scratch the itch that's been bugging me. I'd been curious for a while as to whether there would be any real improvement over the Node 2i. I can now confirm that there is.
Next year will be interesting, a Meishu is on the cards but hearing Bob's Allnic, Esoteric and Hovland amplification, I'm definitely going to do more listening before making a decision .

Last edited:

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No predictions but I ended up improving the sound quite significantly at little cost. My NVA Cube 1s are now supported by Iso Pucks on oak stands. Heavy metal stands worked well with the conventional speakers I previously had, but decoupling is best for semi omvidirectionals.

wizmax

"Inestimable" Reel to Reel expert
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2010
Hayling Island
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having replaced my SS amp in 2021 with a Line Magnetics LM-508 IA valve integrated that I used as a power amp fed by a Bladius S1 pre I had no plans for 2022 and was happy with that. However, early in the year an Audio Research Ref 3 appeared on t'Bay and after a home audition a purchase was negotiated and I am now even happier.

Reactions: Non-Smoking Man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles