Sign in to follow this  
JamPal

Best show yet?

Super Wammer

Just got back to my room at Scalford, after the post show curry, which was excellent again (thanks Steve for arranging it again).

A fabulous show, possibly the best yet. I really enjoyed exhibiting this year, and a big thank you to everyone that visited my room, and for all the kind comments.

Thank you Jane & Keith, for being so helpful in allowing us to store our equipment overnight in their room, and of course for the fudge cake.

Cannot wait for next year.

A big thank you to Neil for the loan of the speaker stands, greatly appreciated :-)

Been a long day but good fun, just finished unpacking the kit. Sharing with Des was a great help, young Ben has got the hifi bug and loves his music, he was planning his next upgrade before he left :)

I didn't get round many rooms this year but all sounded great particularly enjoyed the reel to reels.

Highlight was hearing mickey's clangers cd :)

Well done to Mark and everyone involved in the raffle :^

I'm far too tired to write a lengthy post, so I'll keep it simple for now.

My first time exhibiting this year. What an absolutely brilliant weekend! It's been full of laughs, interesting conversations, music I have and lots more I now need to buy, the best company you could wish to have in co-exhibiters and visitors alike, new goals and ideas I'd love to be able to achieve, and of course Jane's fudge cake.:D

Special thanks to some special mates that made the whole thing so enjoyable by helping me move kit and taking it in turns to give me a breather (belloire/setting son/divedeepdog/shipbastard) you are all ace.

Huge thanks for the many compliments, and another huge thanks to all involved in making it happen, including all the show goers that braved the weather and made all the effort worthwhile.

That's about it for now.:^

Oh and another thing. Lodgesound. 3am, all the lights off, last men standing, well almost as we were all well oiled, with those R2R decks making that massive wall of sound was just frigging awesome. That, Sir's, is what I call music!

Another great show. Many thanks to James and the team for organising it and the exhibitors without whom it wouldn't have been possible.:^

That made me chuckle,:rofl:

I came with my brother-in-law who had never been before and has only just started getting into serious hi-fi. He was so impressed with htm_1968's room with the Art Alinco's (he kindly played a track off his Pixies Doolittle LP for him) that he has already bought himself a Gato DIA-250 amp. Now he wants me to find him some ART speakers. My sister will never speak to me again.:doh:

edit:

I'd just like to say the biggest thank you to all organisers and exhibitors for putting in such a huge amount of work.

I really had a great time, and was several times really impressed by combinations I wouldn't necessarily have anticipated good results from. I enjoyed meeting faces from the forum, too.

Standouts...

As with pretty well everybody, the reel to reel/bbc room was both a visual and aural treat.

Beoblokes surprising mini's-plus-sub system...and some serious turntable envy here. Really. Cold shower needed just thinking about it...

Hoops on toast's minimalist system...a heads up for Rega speakers being serious contenders.

Impulse H2's....both pairs sounded seriously good as did their respective systems.

Really interesting to see and hear the Devaliets. Did they live up to the hype? For me initially, yes, on extended listening, no...

And Wharfdale Dovedales had no right to sound that good.... they were the first pair of speakers I ever owned, why didn't mine sound like that?

And finally the Lab Gruppen activated Yams....might just have been my best sound of the show.

Heartfelt thanks again to all

...my first Scalford show:

Yammies were a big discovery especially in Baggawire's system with the Modwright. Orangeart's DIY jobbies knocked my socks off, real authority but with sweet, natural tone - there was a punter crying when I went in for the first time! Those rare Rehdeko speakers were incredibly refined and had loads of emotional connection on vocals. Getting to play Kleiber's Brahms 4th on JVS's Acapela's as my last listen of the day is something I'll never forget, truly out of this world!

Thanks to everyone who made it happen and cheers to AndrewEast for the lift, great day it was...

The JVS room was the first and last I went in and I was there when you had your CD on and agree it really did sound good.

Definitely the best show so far. After the pasting on here this week, I almost bottled out, but so glad I changed my mind. Meeting the keyboard warriors in the flesh put a whole new slant on things:D Everyone was very welcoming and it's great to be able to have a laugh with you guys.

Such a variety of systems on show today, most working well in the rooms. As usual, a few suffering a little, which is a great shame after the efforts made by people to exhibit, but no real solution to that, I guess.

I enjoyed listening to many systems, but the standouts for me were:

Chelseadave

JVS

MF1000

Baggawire - Those Yamaha NS1000's sounded fabulous against the wall

Russ Abbot

Lodgesound - Wonderful Reel to Reels, and the old Rogers speakers sounded superb.

Crimsondonkey & Ians1 The Opal Events are a lot of speaker/amplification for the price charged. Great sound, great value.

Edd9000 - probably the one that impressed me the most, especially considering price, and demonstrated the huge cost benefits that come with DIY build. Sublime, natural and effortless sound

Rmsshipbroker - Audio Note J Lx's .The most impressive result I've heard from Snell speakers, or their derivatives, since hearing Snell Type A's approximately 30 years ago

Mmichbam

The Impulse HS2's sounded promising but would like to hear them in a home setting

I introduced myself to most of the exhibitors that I visited. Great to meet you, guys. As always, thanks for taking the time and trouble to haul your equipment there, to provide such a great day for so many people. Ditto all of the people that contributed in any other way.

I've been to a gazillion hi-fi shows and all of the Scalford shows - I would agree that this was the best one yet - such a fabulously eclectic range of gear from the absolutely current cutting edge to classic vintage and extreme DIY. If you love audio and hi-fi then this is THE show to go to - there's nothing else like it and you can have been an enthusiast for all of your life (as I have been) and still see and hear gear that you have never encountered before. I cannot praise those enthusiasts who made this show happen enough - the enthusiasm and extreme commitment of those that make the effort to exhibit is astonishing!

• Upvote 1

Yes, I would like to say a Very Big Thank You to every exhibitor who lugged their hi-fi all the way to Scalford, unloaded and set-up, spent the day playing music for us punters and answering silly questions! :) and then did the whole lot in reverse again at the end of the day.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of the systems, big and small, short and tall, whether costing a few hundred, a few thousand or tens of thousands, they were all brilliant in their particular arena.

And many thanks of course to James and the organisers for all of the hard work behind the scenes getting everything arranged for the day, brilliant work!

I was exhibiting this yaer - together with mikhail0115 with his DIY speakers.

A new experience for me, interesting and but very exhausting.

Managed to briefly visit only a few rooms and see some familiar faces - nice to meet all!

The sound from our system was not as good as I hoped - it's capable of much better resolution and staging. Two pairs of speakers is too many for the small room.

The concrete block on the floor worked really well for turntable, as the floor wood condition is far from ideal.

Thanks for all visiting our room and sharing their comments.

Many thanks for James for organizing this event.

P.S.: BobC - we should have waited another 5 minutes for the rain to stop... Hope you returned home well.

My 4th year in a row this year, greatly enjoyed it as usual as did my friend Sam I finally dragged up with me.

Organisers and contributors as always its a long day to visit, let alone sort it all out! I will try and make it with my kit next year!

Highlights for me;

Sunbeamgls - Probably them most relaxed room i went in all day, smooth low volume, and the female vocal that came out of the Katans sounded very nice.

Greybeard - twice i visited, very much enjoyed the BBC speaker derived bake off that ensued at the end of the day. Stunning mids all day!

Ian - sounds a lot like my home system! Although the Crofts add a lot of warmth I don't have, must one day get hold of a valve amp to try up mine.

Edd9000 - something very very right about that system, for DIY horns, they made the 2nd best sound of the day. Super.

BMTell - made me miss my LVs very nice sound, great bass in that room, its so easy to see why the LVs can be fit and forget for a lot of people.

Mmichbam - Power and class. Sounded great with Gregory Porter, not as warm or as refined as some, but all round i felt this was a great room.

Orangeart - Great experiment with software audio, the result is spectacular.

MF1000 - those Cambridge TLs didn't fail to disappoint again, with the horn mids now it sounded an improvement on last year.

Steelhull - One stop shop speakers, were very special, could have sat there a lot longer.

Lodgesound - Show winner (3rd year in a row!) for me. Its sooooo good, I was found drawn to listening to voices that i'm sure i've never heard before. The bass is perfect, the mids, everything. Supreme.

I was exhibiting this yaer - together with mikhail0115 with his DIY speakers.

A new experience for me, interesting and but very exhausting.

Managed to briefly visit only a few rooms and see some familiar faces - nice to meet all!

The sound from our system was not as good as I hoped - it's capable of much better resolution and staging. Two pairs of speakers is too many for the small room.

The concrete block on the floor worked really well for turntable, as the floor wood condition is far from ideal.

Thanks for all visiting our room and sharing their comments.

Many thanks for James for organizing this event.

P.S.: BobC - we should have waited another 5 minutes for the rain to stop... Hope you returned home well.

Vlad I think you're being overly critical, Ben visited your room and said it was one of the most impressive rooms he went in. He's got good ears and has expensive tastes so it's high praise (his normal response is "its alright" which translates to very good)....

Thanks to all the organisers, to Mark for the brilliant raffle, Bob for the badges and Scalford Hall for the Doom Bar beer on draught.

Lots of great sounds and friendly faces again. Always one of the highlights of my year.