Surely an anachronism (though I suppose that could be levelled at vinyl replay in general) in the 21st century? Especially given the other cartridges in Ortofons range, why is this a valid choice in the price to technology stakes it wouldn’t appear to have too much going for it…not exactly an easy cartridge to match arm wise either!

Only got a few hours on my Classic NE at present, which was bought on a bit of a whim after selling all but a few of my other cartridges, so I’m not really in a position to judge just yet. I’ve only jumped on the second rung up the ladder pricewise, but I guess time will tell how I take to this oldtimer design and whether or not I explore others in the range.

Paul

Edited by Bazzer

Wait till you get to the 3 gram trackers:)

Are you saying the lower tracking SPU's are significantly better or is this a function of a better stylus tip profile?

Paul

Can SL15 users participate?

Nope, after all they only track at a paltry 1.5g max:roll: :)

However you can participate on the grounds of past experience & technical knowledge - got to be loads of SUT related FAQ's and the like:P

Paul

- - - Updated - - -

Is your old or slightly newer Mk2?

I have a very old one but not too happy with it. It has a SPU character, mellow and musical but somehow sounds decomposed in comparison with the new SPU.

Probably something is imperfect inside after 50 years. Not sure if I'd like to send it to Thomas Schick for hot rodding, where (apart from stylus service) he strips it from the shell and makes nude. I wish I have a trashed Mk2 for that, I'm really curious about that. The old one is an object of beauty and I wouldn't destroy the shell.

Got a 'naked' version that fits into a normal headshell - the SPU Royal N. Seems to lend itself more to my exploits into Rammstein and The Prodigy than your average high-end MC. ;)

• Like 1

Got a 'naked' version that fits into a normal headshell - the SPU Royal N. Seems to lend itself more to my exploits into Rammstein and The Prodigy than your average high-end MC. ;)

I went for the naked version as well - just seemed to make more sense from a set-up, versatility and usability perspective. However, I can see the appeal of the headshell versions with their 'retro charm', it would be interesting to compare how much having the same cartridge ‘naked’ and within a headshell changes the presentation, then again do differing headshells have a dramatic effect in themselves – Ortofon sell half a dozen variants.

It would be interesting to hear a Royal one day, but TBH I not too sure I’d ever invest in a cartridge of that cost in the first place as I’ve already got a couple of cartridges with exotic tip profiles I’m happy with.

Paul

Is your old or slightly newer Mk2?

Mine is old (1968) but had seen little if any use. It has some SPU qualties but not as strongly as the real thing. I was wondering how much the headshell contributes to the distinctive signature of the SPU. I need to borrow one to try the SL15 in it. I did get one from Brian (Take5) but it was lacking the finger lift & integral weight so I wasn't sure how representative it would be.

Ortofon sell the nickel fingerlifts for 3.50euro (but not the weights) - it's a shame I didn't know you wanted one as I've just ordered some bits and could have added it on. Also think Ortofon could do a brisk trade if they decided to sell the SPU headshells, as there seems to be a large trade stripping out cartridges and selling the shell and cartridge seperately!

Paul

The shell from Brian was only a loaner & has gone back now.

My current favourite vintage cartridge is the Fidelity Research FR-1 (Mk2) which has a lovely spread of virtues.

Of the SPUs I've owned the first type STEREO 'A' fit paired with some JS traffos was of note

1016785_680282331989352_1899820575_n-1.jpg

I also like the Vintage MONO G fit types.

1002443_677292608954991_385983116_n.jpg

Of all the Ortofons I've had / have the Shindo is the most enjoyable. It is not head and shoulders different and takes a lot to set up correctly. That said when it is in it's sweet spot it has greater dimension than any of the other SPUs I've had (The shindo tracks lighter and has adapted damping)

268896_649815971702655_1653812169_n.jpg

Curiously I've just received a new 12" arm to try today which I hope to tinker with tomorrow. It is one of the first to come to the UK ...More to follow

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

I'm really enjoying my SPU G Mono. Very much exceeded my expectations, I could happily live with that and a big pile of old mono records.

Would love to have an extended listen to the Shindo SPU though. Heard one briefly on my 301 at a bake off, but it would be nice to have one to try at home.

+1 for the Fidelity Research FR-1, very enjoyable listen. Ikeda San certainly produced a winner there.