I often blub because I have not suitably selected-installed-maintained O. SPU ...

Suspect that I might have come close in my apposite mono-stereo analogue options.

It's worth paying that little extra for is all.

Have to agree about the difference between the spherical & elliptical there is a distinctly beneficial step-up in performance that exceeds the difference in price - I have both. But I would however, as in my previous post caution against the GM variants and suggest that unless you yearn for the retro look, the N variant make even more sense: GM = 900euro, N = 690euro, GME = 990euro, NE = 790euro (Ortofon direct shop prices) so quite a hike in price for a headshell that adds nothing IMO to the cartridge performance.

Paul

So the price of entry into the world of GM type cartridges comes down with the introduction of the introduction of the '#1' line of cartridges which are lower in price than the N variants!

http://www.ortofon.com/spu-1-p-698-n-1579

Well in my book anything that promotes the use of these wonderful cartridges is very welcome, though I do wonder what is missing when they come with Ortofons costly headshell but sell for less than the current naked versions - specification differences are minimal ?

Paul.

I've always wanted an SPU, but somehow never quite got around to it.......This is the #1E version, and it sounds wonderful, there's a richness that other carts just don't reach, it seems perfectly happy across pretty much all genres, but Jazz (or at least my limited collection of jazz!) is beautiful, and rather more to my surprise Dub & Reggae fare very well, the bass is deep, but always controlled and never overpowering. For £465 it's a very good way to get a taste of the SPU, my only experience of the more expensive models are brief listens at friends or shows, but this one certainly retains most of what grabbed my attention! 

DSCF0355.jpg

Edited by matt tandoori