Sign in to follow this  
bbq_123456

Your HiFi internal picture sharing

ESK wrote:

I suspect a cheque for $3000 of ones money back!

;)

:^:lol:

I recall the review of the Cello passive on HFNRR years back. Martin Colloms did indeed question the price saying it was exorbitantly expensive for a handful of resistors and some fresh air. Apparently sound was distinctly average as well.

i_should_coco wrote:

I recall the review of the Cello passive on HFNRR years back. Martin Colloms did indeed question the price saying it was exorbitantly expensive for a handful of resistors and some fresh air. Apparently sound was distinctly average as well.

Wasn't particularly defending Cello. Never heard one (do they still exist?). And I wouldn't say I was much taken (understatement, let's hope he's not reading this) with a mate's Levinson equipment, which I think has a degree of shared DNA.

But the point in this context is that any *passive* pre-amp is going to be a bit short of components, no? Not much point in sticking a f*ck-off mains transformer and a heap of circuitry in there if there's no juice to power it all up...

Guest Silk

jkbmusic wrote:

bbq_123456 wrote:
Cello passive pre

I was tempted to say at the start that I cannot understand this fetish with the internal workings of electrical equipment:hom: :roll:.

It's one of the first things I do with any gadgets I buy - I can't understand anyone who doesn't. Always taking things apart, me. It goes back to my childhood. That's why I do a job that involves fixing things. :-)

Super Wammer

[align=left]Sugden masterclass IA4

I also take everything appart:D

[/align]

notevenclose wrote:

i_should_coco wrote:

Wasn't particularly defending Cello. Never heard one (do they still exist?). And I wouldn't say I was much taken (understatement, let's hope he's not reading this) with a mate's Levinson equipment, which I think has a degree of shared DNA.

But the point in this context is that any *passive* pre-amp is going to be a bit short of components, no? Not much point in sticking a f*ck-off mains transformer and a heap of circuitry in there if there's no juice to power it all up...

Well, if there aren't that many component's what's to charge thousand of dollars for? ;). I will concede, that high quality swicthes and resistors are expensive. I was just pointing out that even MC was saying it seemed poor value.