Your HiFi internal picture sharing

Marantz SA-11S2

sa11s2-top.jpg

Marantz SA-7S1

sa7s1_top.jpg

bbq_123456 wrote:

yes, another one, Goldmund JOB pressive pre

InsideFull.jpg

Because of images like this and the general Goldmine kerfuffle I have reassessed my vision of hi-end hi-fi. I know less is more in most cases but wtf is going on there? If I win the lottery I'll stick to mid-range gear and spent the money on something else.

TIU wrote:

bbq_123456 wrote:
yes, another one, Goldmund JOB pressive pre

InsideFull.jpg

Because of images like this and the general Goldmine kerfuffle I have reassessed my vision of hi-end hi-fi. I know less is more in most cases but wtf is going on there? If I win the lottery I'll stick to mid-range gear and spent the money on something else.

How much ?

Don't know Dave. Putting my brain in gear I suppose a passive pre should be as simple as this (if that is what 'pressive' is meant to read as.)

Have been doing a bit of googling and it seems that Goldmund use JOB electronics in some of their amplifiers and power conditioners - see pages in http://www.jobsys.com/ and Stellavox are also involved at some point with these guys (the Swiss connection I suppose). It would also seem that the JOB passive preamplifier is essentially the same as the Stellavox PR2 http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&u=http://www.audiogallery.co.kr/company/review/view.asp%3Fnum%3D738%26contecdoc%3Dshop&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=2&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522JOB%2Bpassive%2Bpre%2522%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

http://www.stellavox.com/StellaPR2.pdf

I reckon JOB electronics are inside both these brands

Guest Alex A

I think it's well known that those JOB power amps are the same as Goldmund - there have been some threads in the past about them What are the respective prices?

I think Goldmund own Stellavox.

Davewhityetagain wrote:

TIU wrote:
Don't know Dave. Putting my brain in gear I suppose a passive pre should be as simple as this (if that is what 'pressive' is meant to read as.)

it should be simple but all them wires together not very nice

Its a simple potted passive pre with an Alps Blue pot (about a tenner) and as such pretty typical of the breed, I expect it sounds pretty good. Some input sockets, a switch, an attenuator and some output sockets, that's ALL you would expect to find - one would be surprised to find anything much other than air tbh. They do work well though IMO.

As I tried to say earlier, anyone who spends big, bigbucks on a potted passive either doesn't understand what's involved or is happy to spend the money on a nice box. I've never added it up but typically I'd guess the price of internal parts is going to be maybe £25 or so - you could spend a lot more depending on how fancy a pot, switch gear, wire and sockets are used ... plus the box of course :).

Alps do a potKondo use in their preamps which sells for over £200 as a part on its own. I guess if you used one of these in a passive you might easily top £1k by the time its on the shelves. Now if someone did use one of those, you lot would be entitled to argue whether £200 is a silly price for a pot, but a £1k price point for such an item would actually be about right, even if it was pretty much full of air :)

:DOne of the two clocks is now Tent labs, diminishing jitter considerably.Power supply revised by adding panasonic caps, replacement of Jamicon caps by black gates, coaxial shielded rewiring underneath the board and a few more (minor)adjustments had been made.

I have compared it to the original V3 athomeafter it went through its break-in period, and was amazed with the differences. A little grey mouse had turned into a big bold colourful flower. Much bigger (soundstage, not loudness) colourful sound.

Iowned theNu-Vista cdp for a while at the time I already owned the V3 (prior to modding), and choice to me is obvious. Speed and neutrality are true in comparison.

MF stuff, to my ears, seems very sensitive to modification. ;)