turning japanese

netflix - anything good on there worth watching?

Nope not me clothy, looks interesting though, I'll give it a try. :^

There's a new season of Narco's out too, so I'll have a couple of weeks of Spanish/Portuguese telly.

On 15/09/2019 at 19:54, mikeyb said:

Unbelievable - watched all 8 episodes last night, got to bed about 3am xD

Well worth a watch ;)

good shout this

An English Game is a brilliant 6 part series currently on Netflix. A tale of early professional football in the late 1800'. We watched it all last night due to the curfew and as a result went walking over Darwen moor today. It was a bit breezy at the Jubilee Tower and quite busy.

Although it was based in Darwen it looked to have been largely filmed in Saltaire nearby to Bradford.

• Upvote 1

Due to the curfew we have been binge watching a few things on Netflix.

Justine, a tale about an unemployed widow who is a real misery guts but manages to bring a positive into a young girls life who has Spina Bifida. If you're looking for a Hollywood cheesy isn't everything lovely film look elsewhere. We rather enjoyed it.

The Endless Trench. A real intense  2 1/2 hour drama about a fellow in hiding during the Spanish Civil war and beyond. This was a really engrossing film and if you like Hollywood bang bang films then you best look elsewhere. We've just had a really good evening with two very different but very rewarding films.

Posted (edited)

Began watching Deep State with Mark Strong on Now TV. It is a Fox production and really good. Strong plays a former agent whose wife and children are threatened by MI5 unless he curtails a current threat. The reality is that he assassinated, in his final assignment, a scientist who said things that the government didn't want saying (Dr David Kelly sprung to mind)!

Edited by oldius

'Unforgotten' S1 and S2.

Excellent cast with some members drafted in from 'Waking The Dead' though, interestingly, occupying different roles. Trevor Eve makes a great villain (even when he was a hero in WTD). Also there's an actress in S2 who was a detective in WTD whose character was tipped over the top of an apartment building and was killed. She's in it and I confess to having a bit of a soft spot for her. Nice to see her back on the screen.

The lead female detective was in Spooks, inter alia, and very recognisable.

Too many tears from arch villains which is a bit unrealistic from narcississtic career criminals, otherwise worth a watch.

Jack NSM

Ploughing through 'Better Call Saul' currently (as recommended on this thread). Set in the U.S. in the nineties it has a 'Pulp Fiction' feel in its episodic structure and occasional reverse timeline. Also I detect a lot of 'Carrie Matheson' (Homeland) in one female lead 'Kim Wexler'. (Its not the worse for that. I havent looked up the dates but I suspect it was that way round in both cases. Americans love a winner.

Its very good.

Jack

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Try the Israeli version of Homeland which preceded the American version. Subtitles or not its a better job all round. Gideon Raff has been involved in some good stuff. The Red Sea Diving Resort to name but one.

Edited by Pete the Feet

Inhuman Resources starring ooh ah Eric Cantona  as an out of work HR manager put on the scrap heap in his 50s. Quite gripping and tense in parts. Cantona does a commendable job of a desperate middle aged professional thrown on the scrapheap. It also co stars Suzanne Clement who starred in The Forest [Le Foret] which was another good French crime series. How can the Europeans turn out such thought provoking good drama that largely leaves us standing? Perhaps they only manage to sell the good stuff to Netflix and leave their Eurotrash in situ.