awkwardbydesign

What is the future for CDs?

Interestingly streaming and computer based systems are not popular with the classical audience - partly an age thing I should imagine - but really that's the group that could most benefit in being able to access the myriad of recordings/versions that exist of a particular work rather than depend upon one or 2 in your collection.

CD for classical was the perfect medium, just about any work on one disc with no turning over or changing records. No noise or distortion, and often a decent booklet describing the work, albeit a little small for those with ageing eyes.

Ripping CDs gives tagging problems, as I've found with my 500 or so classical CDs, and streaming from Spotify is a pain trying to find the one work amongst 25 different versions, and no information as to which is which, names of artists, recording dates or venues. For me then there's the added irritation of every piece being described as a 'song'! Although I have now ripped and retagged all my classical CDs, and still play then off the SBT, it was actually easier using the CD, and if it wasn't for all my Jazz and Rock/Pop/Folk/Blues CDs being on the computer, I would never have bothered just for classical.

S

I still buy CD's and will continue to even though i have no means of playing them directly.

Any new CD's i buy are ripped to flac soon as possible, tagged and stored on the server and played regularly using runeaudio.

I always end up buying my favourite albums on vinyl though...

I still buy CD's and will continue to even though i have no means of playing them directly.

Any new CD's i buy are ripped to flac soon as possible, tagged and stored on the server and played regularly using runeaudio.

I always end up buying my favourite albums on vinyl though...

Ah, well your opinion doesn't count then. :D

I was considering the yoof market when I asked the question. So obviously the wrong place to ask. :rofl:

But strangely my 17 year old grandson feels the same as I do. It must be the only time he has ever agreed with me, the contrary git.