AlmaAtaKZ

Active Speakers Reference Thread

Posted (edited)
On 06/12/2019 at 00:11, t1no said:

I've decided to take the plunge on these. They're a bit of a steal at the moment compared to their original RRP and they are very well reviewed. I like the idea of the concentric driver, front porting and the fact that they are made of solid aluminium.

rm05.jpg.9f1f81d0bbaa6fb54a6b43876cd26634.jpg

Even more of a steal now .... £178 (each) ... I think they used to be around £500 at launch.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/studio-monitor/pioneer-rm-05-coaxial-monitor

Edited by t1no

Just stumbled across this review of my speakers. Confirms my own thoughts. Amazingly good at the price.

He states that you can get away with not using a sub but I can vouch for the benefits of adding one.

https://youtu.be/oy0g28eaWFw

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, High 5 said:

p3.jpg?format=1500w

A500-White-1.jpg?format=1500w 

A500-White-2.jpg?format=1500w

Buchardt A400 Active wireless speakers.

DSP, Room correction, Master Tunings, Wiga, Streaming.

I’ve seen the Darko review of these (A500 I think) and it’s very positive.

Focal Shape 65 active speakers.

A studio monitor range that is said to be equally at home being used in a domestic HiFi situation.

Canadian magazine Soundstage has done two reviews on them recently.

2-way plus 2x auxiliary bass radiators per cabinet.

2x Class A/B amps per cabinet. 80W for the 6.5" flax/sandwich bass/mid and 25W for the 1" aluminum-magnesium inverted-dome tweeter.

202006_focal_room.jpg

1 hour ago, Pedro2 said:

I’ve seen the Darko review of these (A500 I think) and it’s very positive.

It could be the main reason why the White and Black finished versions are now sold out (possibly until next year).

Only the dark Walnut left.

The floor standing A700 is due out soon.  6x drivers -Tweeter, Midrange and 4x Bass drivers (two on the front and two on the rear).

Same - DSP, Room correction and Master Tunings.

Should be a beast.

Edited by High 5

1 hour ago, High 5 said:

Focal Shape 65 active speakers.

A studio monitor range that is said to be equally at home being used in a domestic HiFi situation.

Canadian magazine Soundstage has done two reviews on them recently.

2-way plus 2x auxiliary bass radiators per cabinet.

2x Class A/B amps per cabinet. 80W for the 6.5" flax/sandwich bass/mid and 25W for the 1" aluminum-magnesium inverted-dome tweeter.

202006_focal_room.jpg

Saw a review somewhere which compared these with Elac Navis and Hedd actives. Can't remember where, unfortunately. These Focal's, however, performed extremely well and did not emerge as clinical studio monitors. Not seen them in any domestic setting photos; don't look bad at all (imo). Also think their pricing is quite reasonable (circa £1000 per pair, I believe).

Hello good people,

long story short, I’m now back in employment and looking to treat myself to my first proper hifi  setup from my Sonos speaker.

I’ve  been researching for months and think I’m set on an active speaker 2 channel system to avoid all the shenanigans with amplifier, speaker cable and speaker combinations.

What do people recommend in this area?

I’m looking in the range of £1500 maybe up to £4000 so reading up on:

Navis B51

LS50 Wireless 2

Acoustic Energy AE1 with a source

Brachart S400

B&W formation duo

Speakers will be around 10-50cm away from wall.

What do people suggest? Looking for a well rounded speaker that isn’t to bassy or to shrill. I think I’m in the middle ground camp.

On 28/09/2020 at 11:23, oxymoron said:

.......... I’m looking in the range of £1500 maybe up to £4000 so reading up on:

Navis B51

LS50 Wireless 2

Acoustic Energy AE1 with a source

Brachart S400

B&W formation duo

The Buchardt S400 is a passive speaker, so it shouldn't be on your list, unless you meant their A500 wireless active?

What will your sources be, streaming from a music service, streaming from a local drive, CD or phono (turntable etc) ?

The A500 and Formation Duo should be in a league well above the LS50W-2.

Note the LS50W-2 has lost the phono inputs, and the analogue input is now a stereo jack plug.

Other options in this space and price points include...

Dynaudio Xeo 20 (stand mount) & Xeo 30 (floor standing) - need a Dynaudio Connect to make the best use of these.

Dynaudio Focus 20XD (which has now been discounted to bring it under your max budget) - same again regarding the Connect.

Dali Callisto 2C (stand mount) and 6C (floor standing) - best partnered with the sound hub, with built-in Bluesound module.

Dali Rubicon 2C (also needs the sound hub and might not fit under your max budget). The 7C would be way above budget.

Dali Oberon 1C (stand mount) and 7C (floor standing).

Dali

Edited by High 5

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, High 5 said:

The A500 and Formation Duo should be in a league well above the LS50W-2.

Note the LS50W-2 has lost the phono inputs, and the analogue input is now a stereo jack plug.

What do you base that on - have you heard the LS50W-2? The original LS50W certainly scales with subs, and I would expect the new model will too.

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, High 5 said:

What will your sources be, streaming from a music service, streaming from a local drive, CD or phono (turntable etc) ?

Yes, that’s what I was going to ask!  

From the list above I’ve heard only the original KEF wireless, very good with an Innuos streamer, and the Acoustic Energy.  I could happily live with either.  I’d be more wary of the B&W because the business has had various changes of owner, and I’ve a hunch this range hasn’t been a success. Maybe they’ll return to their roots with good passive speakers?    

Inevitably, models with DACs and suchlike inbuilt may have a shorter lifespan than simpler designs.  

4 hours ago, oxymoron said:

What do people suggest?

That you try to find a way to have a listen to some of the options that you've mentioned.

(The only ones on your list that I've heard are the v1 LS50 Wireless, which impressed me.)

Just now, StingRay said:

I'm reading the  LS50W-2 converts analogue input into digital and then back into analogue.

It may well but I think it would be wrong to assume/imply this is a problem. Any speakers that use DSP for crossover or other functions will do this. 

Not that we know yet @oxymoron will have any need of analogue inputs of course.